• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Apex GT Dupont Slides

Rob Brown

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Apex GT
I'm about to change the slides in my 2007 Apex GT. I have asked several buddies if the loosen their tracks to replace their slides. Some of them do and some do not. Should a loosen the track before attempting to remove the old slides or just remove the screws and place a screwdriver in the screw hole and hammer the old slides out? The new dupont slides look wider than the track window, I was told by one buddy to turn the slide 90 degrees and insert through the window and lube the sides of the new slide really well, once it's through the window, turn the slide to get it to line up with the rails. Does this make since?? Do most people loosen the track to replace slides?

For taking the slides off push it in a track window and putt it in reverse , works great, look on YouTube there’s videos on how to do it. Grease the slides and shove it in , I’ve heard of guys trimming the track so it fits better too . I’ve never loosened my track but it might make it easier.

I'm about to change the slides in my 2007 Apex GT. I have asked several buddies if the loosen their tracks to replace their slides. Some of them do and some do not. Should a loosen the track before attempting to remove the old slides or just remove the screws and place a screwdriver in the screw hole and hammer the old slides out? The new dupont slides look wider than the track window, I was told by one buddy to turn the slide 90 degrees and insert through the window and lube the sides of the new slide really well, once it's through the window, turn the slide to get it to line up with the rails. Does this make since?? Do most people loosen the track to replace slides?
I would loosen the track. What I do & many others is find a spot in the track windows & cut enough rubber away on both sides of that window so that the slides will go through. When cutting away the rubber try to take a little rubber of each side of that window. The best spot to cut track windows is by the logo on the track. Easy place to remember where you cut the windows open.

I would loosen the track. What I do & many others is find a spot in the track windows & cut enough rubber away on both sides of that window so that the slides will go through. When cutting away the rubber try to take a little rubber of each side of that window. The best spot to cut track windows is by the logo on the track. Easy place to remember where you cut the windows open.
Just what I was going to suggest.

i usually beat them out with a hammer and punch. i always lube the rail and the slide with wd40 or dish soap and hammer the new ones on. i cut the excess off in place with a hacksaw.

I've never cut track windows nor would I recommend it. Before removing slides spray them down with pb blaster or something comparable both inside and outside of slides. Loosen track up pound them out after they get out the window I have a modified dent puller with a visescipt on it clamp it on the slide hammer it out with puller. Once it starts to come out just pull by hand as long as you sprayed them makes a big difference.

Ive also seen both slides hammered out a few inches start up sled run track in reverse this works but not my preferred way to remove them.

When installing slides I spray rails, inside of slides and the window I'm installing slide in. Install slide twist it line up with rail and install. May take a few tries to get it but this works.

P.m. me more help needed

For many years/sleds I have widened one pair of track windows on sleds/tracks that require a wider window for slide installation. I would not recommend cutting the windows but rather using a grinding wheel on a dremel to widen and shape the windows works good. I have never had a track issue after opening up a pair of windows on a track.

For the low amount of miles I put on per year (compared to many), I usually just remove the skid when it's time for slides. Gives me a good chance to check wheel bearings, pivot points, rebuild the shocks, and a general inspection for broken/bent parts.

A question about loosening the track, I first loosen the bolts on back idler wheels. Next, I will locate the adjusting nuts through a window near the slides. For the right adjusting nut, I will turn to the right to loosen and the left adjusting nut, turn to the left to loosen. Counting the complete turns of each nut and do both sides the same amount of turns. With the track loose, replace slides and reverse the steps above to finish the job. Does this sound right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211208-215423_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211208-215423_OneDrive.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 80
I measure the distance from head of adjustment bolt to back of jam nut.with a tape measure on both sides before I loosen anything up. After measuring I write these numbers down. Then loosen jam nut and bolts on both sides. Going to need a longer extension to get at the adjustment bolts I prefer one with a wobble end. Loosen bolts on rear shaft that holds wheels on last. It should slide forward now if its stuck in position light tap rear wheels to free up and slide forward. Also a good time to think about adding 4th wheel if its not done already.

Keep in mind, if you tighten the track to the number of turns with the new slides, it could be too tight. Check it by running it on a stand. Also checked the distance of track from the outside edge of the rear idler wheel to the edge of the track for centering.

A question about loosening the track, I first loosen the bolts on back idler wheels. Next, I will locate the adjusting nuts through a window near the slides. For the right adjusting nut, I will turn to the right to loosen and the left adjusting nut, turn to the left to loosen. Counting the complete turns of each nut and do both sides the same amount of turns. With the track loose, replace slides and reverse the steps above to finish the job. Does this sound right?
both the adjuster bolts are rh thread but yes you are correct in your procedure.

Back