• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Phazer Fuel Pump Won't Prime + Code 81 Grip Heaters

ZekeRydes

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Phazer
I'm a proud owner of two 2007 Phazer Mountain Lites. Recently at the trailhead, after warming both up, I shut them off until we got all of our equipment loaded up. Then restarted each, was about to head out but the one shut off a few seconds after firing up. It had some residual fuel I am guessing, but the fuel pump is not running now. Fast forward a month and I'm trying to solve this in my driveway. The fuel pump won't prime when I turn the key. I swapped fuel pumps with the good machine and same result. So, the ECU is not allowing the fuel pump to prime for some reason.

Possibly related, but I also have a code 81/grip heaters flashing. That has come on before on the trail, usually goes away after a normal stop/restart, but it won't go away now. I have randomly pulled apart most wiring plugs, add a little dielectric grease, replugged. Same flashing display code 81, same problem with no prime on the fuel pump. Starter will crank, but no fuel if pump not operating. I thought fuel pump was the culprit, but a couple days ago I replaced that and no luck. I then put used pump from good phazer into bad phazer, and same result. (New pump is now in good phazer and runs as usual.)

Maybe the code 81 is preventing the fuel pump from operating? I'm going to try and figure out where/how to assess resistance on the grip heaters today, and maybe even unplug those to see if that is preventing the fuel pump from operating. After that, what: I plan to check oil pressure sending unit, oil and coolant levels, just guessing now to see if something is preventing the ECU from allowing fuel pump to operate. After that I suppose I'll have to beg and plead for the only local dealer (not Yamaha) to scan my machine's ECU and see if it will tell me the answer? Feeling better about learning some things on my sleds, but still feels desperately far fromo a solution. Anyone that can help with my learning curve, I sure appreciate it! I'll host riding/buy beer anytime you're in Idaho!

Attachments

• tempImage1htgO8.png
    tempImage1htgO8.png
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 26

I'm a proud owner of two 2007 Phazer Mountain Lites. Recently at the trailhead, after warming both up, I shut them off until we got all of our equipment loaded up. Then restarted each, was about to head out but the one shut off a few seconds after firing up. It had some residual fuel I am guessing, but the fuel pump is not running now. Fast forward a month and I'm trying to solve this in my driveway. The fuel pump won't prime when I turn the key. I swapped fuel pumps with the good machine and same result. So, the ECU is not allowing the fuel pump to prime for some reason.

Possibly related, but I also have a code 81/grip heaters flashing. That has come on before on the trail, usually goes away after a normal stop/restart, but it won't go away now. I have randomly pulled apart most wiring plugs, add a little dielectric grease, replugged. Same flashing display code 81, same problem with no prime on the fuel pump. Starter will crank, but no fuel if pump not operating. I thought fuel pump was the culprit, but a couple days ago I replaced that and no luck. I then put used pump from good phazer into bad phazer, and same result. (New pump is now in good phazer and runs as usual.)

Maybe the code 81 is preventing the fuel pump from operating? I'm going to try and figure out where/how to assess resistance on the grip heaters today, and maybe even unplug those to see if that is preventing the fuel pump from operating. After that, what: I plan to check oil pressure sending unit, oil and coolant levels, just guessing now to see if something is preventing the ECU from allowing fuel pump to operate. After that I suppose I'll have to beg and plead for the only local dealer (not Yamaha) to scan my machine's ECU and see if it will tell me the answer? Feeling better about learning some things on my sleds, but still feels desperately far fromo a solution. Anyone that can help with my learning curve, I sure appreciate it! I'll host riding/buy beer anytime you're in Idaho!
Forgot to add that yesterday when I was monkeying with the fuel pump, I noticed on the bad phazer when I turned the key off the display was still powered on for a second or three, a couple times. It should immediately shut off when the key is turned off, like my good phazer, but it didn't. I don't know if that's related but maybe I have an ignition fault/short?

Did you check the fuel pump relay and fuse? For the schematics, grab a copy of the manual by becoming a VIP and asking an admin or mod for it. Having the schematics will help in tracing and checking for voltages. I have a feeling it's not the ECU as it seems to come on properly and reporting the issue with the warmers.

The code 81 is not likely related. For that, check the resistance at the elements at the first plugs. Just follow the black wires down the handlebar to the first plug on each side. Here's the resistance you should see.

Phazer Grip Resistance.png

Right on Mooseman, I will do that and report back! Thanks!

Right on Mooseman, I will do that and report back! Thanks!
Did you check the fuel pump relay and fuse? For the schematics, grab a copy of the manual by becoming a VIP and asking an admin or mod for it. Having the schematics will help in tracing and checking for voltages. I have a feeling it's not the ECU as it seems to come on properly and reporting the issue with the warmers.

The code 81 is not likely related. For that, check the resistance at the elements at the first plugs. Just follow the black wires down the handlebar to the first plug on each side. Here's the resistance you should see.

View attachment 175663
Alright Mooseman, I forgot to reply yesterday but I traced the wiring to the plug for each grip warmer. Both sides show 1.8 ohms, which sounds like what is expected. I may try and unplug both, then power on the machine and see if that code 81 will clear?
Also, I already have a manual but I am ABSOLUTELY going to become a VIP member since I think this forum is going to be the best source of info for me going forward! I wasn't aware I could just do that myself, I assumed it was something I had to wait for over time and participate more but I definitely want to support this.
Beautiful sunny day (bad winter) here, so I'm going out in the driveway now and hoping to find the reason why my baby won't prime the fuel pump and start!

Alright Mooseman, I forgot to reply yesterday but I traced the wiring to the plug for each grip warmer. Both sides show 1.8 ohms, which sounds like what is expected. I may try and unplug both, then power on the machine and see if that code 81 will clear?
Also, I already have a manual but I am ABSOLUTELY going to become a VIP member since I think this forum is going to be the best source of info for me going forward! I wasn't aware I could just do that myself, I assumed it was something I had to wait for over time and participate more but I definitely want to support this.
Beautiful sunny day (bad winter) here, so I'm going out in the driveway now and hoping to find the reason why my baby won't prime the fuel pump and start!
The code won't appear on the dash when the problem is solved, but it will still be in the memory which can be erased.

The code won't appear on the dash when the problem is solved, but it will still be in the memory which can be erased.
How can I erase the memory? I've unplugged both grip warmers, and the code 81 still flashes. Checked all relays and fuses too, and still flashing.

How can I erase the memory? I've unplugged both grip warmers, and the code 81 still flashes. Checked all relays and fuses too, and still flashing.
I also cycled through the diagnostic code 26 (pushing grip warmer to initiate the 120 second test), and no change to the fault code 81...

No, that causes a code.
Oh gotcha. So unplugged causes the code, then plugged in with some other problem in the circuit or warmer also causes a code?
Is there any chance that whatever is causing this code 81 to flash is also preventing the fuel pump from operating? My fuel pump is fine, but it won't pump when key is turned.

Oh gotcha. So unplugged causes the code, then plugged in with some other problem in the circuit or warmer also causes a code?
Is there any chance that whatever is causing this code 81 to flash is also preventing the fuel pump from operating? My fuel pump is fine, but it won't pump when key is turned.
Yes to the first sentence.
If they shared the same ground it is possible, but not for sure.
There are no other codes displayed?
You have two of these machines?

Another thing to check for the grips is a short to ground. At each connector, check that the grips themselves are not shorting to ground. Another possibility is a break in the wiring from the connectors to the ECU, which might also explain the lack of fuel pump power if more than one wire is broken. Pull the ECU connector and check for corrosion in the ECU pins and the connector. This way you can also check for continuity from the ECU connector to the FP relay and the grips.

Really grateful for the input. After checking all the relays and fuses, I went through and disconnected almost all of the other plugs on the right side, added a little dielectric grease, reconnected. Disconnected both battery leads, then disconnected ECU plugs, things didn't look bad on any of that. At some point in all this, I turned the key and heard the fuel pump prime! Started whistling dixie, putting everything back together and checking key every so often and still priming! Added some fuel back into the tank (had to siphon it off the other day when I pulled the fuel pump), then tried to start the machine. Just as it turned over to run, it stopped and now fuel pump no longer priming again with first turn of the key. Went back through everything, no dice. Decided to jump power directly to the fuel pump from the battery, and started the machine and let it run for 5 minutes or so. Soon as I pulled the jumper, she died again since something is not allowing the fuel pump to run. However the good news is, the code 81 disappeared after a while--maybe because the machine ran for a bit and cleared it? Still, haven't found the culprit and fuel pump still not running. With the key on, I can hear the relays and ECU making all kinds of clicking sound though, and I haven't heard that on the other machine with key on but not started. Pulled the main relays again, they all test with same resistance and I've even swapped them out and feel pretty confident they're good. Ugh.
Oh one other thing: a couple times tonight, with key turned off and even removed from the bad machine, display remains powered on. Seems to do this consistently after going into diagnostic mode and cycling diagr. code 36. Not sure if that's related to the FP or not.
A question: is there a separate "fuel pump" relay, that is different from the "fuel injection system relay" in the relay bank behind the ECU?

Back