• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 apex mountain chain case questions?

yammiefan04

Country
USA
Snowmobile
04 RX warrior, 2008 apex mtx, 2000 sx700r
Hey guys i've been riding my apex mountain around a bit and i'm going back to the stock gearing,i feel it would benefit me for the area i'm in and considering i'm not on the mountain all the time, i took my chain case apart and it looks like the stock gear is a 19 tooth were as the gear i have in their now is an 18 tooth, if i switch back to the stock 19 will i really notice any difference speed/RPM wise? (I'm at 8000rpms going about 40mph right now) Or would it be more my clutching to lower my RPMS for a higher speed? I realise its a mountain sled but i would like to do around 60 at 8000RPMS+. My next question is if anyone knows how much fluid to put in the chain case to fill it if its empty. Do to a turbo i won't be able to use the dip stick accurately.( It sits in the way so the dipstick must be trimmed to pull it out without bending it)Thank you all in advance and happy riding!

says 8.5 oz in the service manual for chain case oil.

I think part of the confusion is that the chain case dipstick has markings on both sides, STD and REVERSE, and even the service manual shows this where one can clearly see the REVERSE line is much further towards the bottom of the dipstick which would indicate a lesser amount of oil for reverse than for standard models with no reverse:

ChainCaseDipStick.JPG

That same manual only lists one oil capacity amount of 8.5oz. Even though my two Apex's have reverse and using 8.5oz has the oil level above the REVERSE line, I still go with the 8.5oz; primarily because that is the amount of chain case oil Yamaha offers and it's already premeasured:

YamalubeChaingCaseOil.JPG

i tend to fill mine to the no reverse full mark. no issues in the last 20 years doing that.

I think part of the confusion is that the chain case dipstick has markings on both sides, STD and REVERSE, and even the service manual shows this where one can clearly see the REVERSE line is much further towards the bottom of the dipstick which would indicate a lesser amount of oil for reverse than for standard models with no reverse:

View attachment 164997
That same manual only lists one oil capacity amount of 8.5oz. Even though my two Apex's have reverse and using 8.5oz has the oil level above the REVERSE line, I still go with the 8.5oz; primarily because that is the amount of chain case oil Yamaha offers and it's already premeasured:

View attachment 164998
I filled it to 8.5 oz with 75-140 gear oil as i dont have reverse, with my side mount turbo i cannot get the full dip stick back in the case(without severe bending that makes it inaccurate)so i just have a plug on top.

I'm like maim and even though all of my Apex's and RX-1 have reverse, I still always use 8.5 ounces of chain case lube when refilling and never had an issue. Additionally, at least in my experience, using 8.5oz will put the chain case oil level right at that STD line on the dipstick so you shouldn't have to worry about being able to check it; at least not after filling it.

Back