• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 IRON DOG

john_the_fisherman said:
Dumb question with probably an obvious answer but... Why do a lot of guys who race the Iron Dog wear open face helmets? I am assuming it's for fluid intake, but I wasn't sure if there was some other strategy. Seems like a major safety issue to me. I don't I'd want to race anything that grueling w/o a chin guard.

You've got it right, the open face more easily allows a guy to drink or get a quick snack during the gas stop. I know I wouldn't want to run at those speeds and distances without a full face helmet.

Hi guys! Thanks for following the race! Sorry to have let some of you down! I typed a big long post @ 4:00 am today but hit the wrong button and all was deleated instead of posting. So I'll get this one first then post about our events!

First off Team #5 here in Nome had 7 minutes of maintenence and they are now ready to race to Fairbanks. Steve has some real nice frost bite on both checks (face lol) but other then Wayne's tumble 16 miles into the race where the rear of his tunnel got slightly buckled, they have had a very clean race. Other than one slightly bent spindle they changed all 4 skis and now sleds are ready for the south bound about 900 mile trip!! Wanyse arm hurts some but the guys are in good spirts and looking forwards to starting back tomorrow. VERY NICE JOB GUYS!

08NitroRTX said:
Hi guys! Thanks for following the race! Sorry to have let some of you down! I typed a big long post @ 4:00 am today but hit the wrong button and all was deleated instead of posting. So I'll get this one first then post about our events!

First off Team #5 here in Nome had 7 minutes of maintenence and they are now ready to race to Fairbanks. Steve has some real nice frost bite on both checks (face lol) but other then Wayne's tumble 16 miles into the race where the rear of his tunnel got slightly buckled, they have had a very clean race. Other than one slightly bent spindle they changed all 4 skis and now sleds are ready for the south bound about 900 mile trip!! Wanyse arm hurts some but the guys are in good spirts and looking forwards to starting back tomorrow. VERY NICE JOB GUYS!

No let down my friend. Quite the opposite, I'm sure everyone here is impressed by your efforts. This is the first time I have paid much attention to the Iron Dog. Found it very interesting and fun to keep track of what's going on. Never thought reading the posts on the Dog Blog could be so dramatic!

We all look forward to reading about your adventure!

:Rockon:

Yep, first "Iron Dog" chase for me too. Wish the GPS system was a little less buggy but I'm spoiled now with NASCAR's.

Our events:

Day 1: Very cold! We lost about 20-25 mins on the hill (120 miles from the start, just before Puntilla check point #2) As soon as we left Puntilla the temperature DROPPED! We saw much colder than -35F because when we pulled into Rohn (3rd check point when we were told it was -38F and I know it was MUCH warmer than what temp it was some miles back up the trail through Hells gate. (even the pilots noticed the temps drop close to 30 degrees through that vlley so most of them climbed back up where the air temp was closer to -15) Going down this river there was NO part of my body that was warm. I trully was chilled and knew we were at least 3 hours from stopping and it was starting to get dark! Got in Mcgrath a bit sooner than planned and sleds were perfect! We declared a layover in Mcgrath when I was removing my face mask I found my chin and neck was frozen to my facemask! I literally had the area of about the size of my fist that was frozen and had an 1/8" of ice on it. (becuase my whole body was cold I didn't realize how cold my chin and neck had gotten but I know in Rohn Imy face mask was frozen to my face because I was unable to pull it down to get a drink of water....
Day 2: Not a good day for #23!
Found when O woke up I had also frost bit my stomach but because I was so concerned with my chin I just thought my abbs ached because of the i was just cold. NOPE!
So I ducktaped a napkin to insulate my chin from my face mask and left McGrath @ -28 (funny part is that didn't feel cold!!) Started having goggle frosting issues right off the bat and continued all day! I changed goggles at least 12 times and stop to scrape the inside off at least 20 times! Made it through MY hardest lag Opher to Poorman and I must of been so releived @ getting through that section that I had a breif bit of lack of consentration that about 4 miles from Poor man I hit a log frozen into the ground hidden under snow about 6 to 8 inch off the trail! I hit hard, flew over the bars and landed about 15' down the trail the sled ended across the trail in some light brush. I was going about 35-40mph around a corner when I hit it and I never saw it!
I layed there for a while seem slike longer but maybe a minute doing a body check making sure I was still ok after landing hard on my neck. I could hear the sled idling so I leaned up to make sure it was upright and that is when I saw the damage! (loud cuss word here!) I was broken hearted my right spindle was actually angled backwards now lower A-arm bent and back bolt sheered off! NICE JOB JEFF!! We mad the adjustments we could to the steering but handle bars were still about 20 degrees right to go straight and ski was 3" back. So not not only did it not track straight but every jump the skis hit at a different angle so the sled would launch straight off each one. After a few off trail excursions on my part we switched sleds. Somewhere about this time Mark had stuck a stick through his left side panle bent his belt cover and nicked a coolant hose we cut the hose about an inch shorter and reinstalled it. (we had no idea how much coolant we had lost but overflow tank was atnormal level, FYI DON'T let this be your only indication as it lies! lol) Mark was doing really well on the sled I had customized the steering and we were actually making good time. About 6 miles down the trail I going about 60 and the engine just died! (on Mark's non bent sled that I'm riding now) before I even get stopped code #30 comes up! 'Low oil pressure!' OH NO! when I get stopped I can see oil running out. (MORE cussing on my part! lol) Temps were close to -25 and wind so I knew we had a 50 mile tow infront of us so I just bundled up until I could hear Mark coming back and then started to undo the side panel to see the problem. We found the oil drain plug had vibrated out of the oil resevouir BUT it and the washer were sitting in the pan! WHEW! Hooked up the strap and started towing! got stuck about 6 times (boy can these FX Nytros dig a trench!!) We litteraly had to lift the sleds back on to the trail each time!! So we get into Ruby under tow, I was so cold I went into the check point and just tried to warm up and Mark delt with putting oil in his sled and fueling them up! (all they had was 10w40 not the best option @ -25 but hey it was oil) Since his sled started right up and all appearded fine, I took off on the bent sled knowing Mark could easily catch me. It was night now and I was able to run 75mph on the river with bent steering and all. So after a few miles Mark catches me and we are going well about 20 miles into the 56 miles trip. Well, I look back and NO Mark?.... I stop and wait a few minutes and then go back and find his sled had over heated and needed a tow. We didn't check coolant by removing the radiator cap in Ruby. No problem we'll tow to Galena and repair A-arm and change oil and get some good synthetic 0 or 5 weight back in it. We get to Galena and take a layover to line up tools and a place to work on the sleds.
Day 3 We wake up, after a good sleep and breakfast and get on the clock and start wenching. Takes a bit longer than expected but all goes well and we leave Galena on the Yukon! I'm thinking to myself OK we have lost enough time and we need to change plans time to start racing NOW! Mark must have had the same idea because he was about an 1/8 mile ahead of me with a huge snow dust trail! We were RACING! (finally because yesterday sure sucked! lol)It was -18 clear sunny skies we were running wide open down the river. Well about 27 miles out I come on Mark stopped standing next to his sled hands in the air! We talk a bit and his temp light had been on for awhile but the engine started sounding ..not right. ( I refuse to use the word funny here because it wasn't!) he starts it goes about 50 yards and the engine sounds HORIBLE... we are DONE! We tow back to Galena set up our sleds to be shipped back to Anchorage and jump in the Navajo that buzzed us as we were towing back about 10 miles from Galena. The Navajo turns around and lands back in Galena. We jump in with them and flew to Nome Yesterday!

well that sucks. Great job have to get them next year. oh did it bend the spindle or was it the a-arm.

Jeff,
Sorry about the bout of bad luck, that just sucks! I liked reading about the cold. I was wondering how everyone was dealing with it. There is no f-ing way I would have willingly gone racing or even riding at those temps! Just plain crazy, then you factor in the wind chill... freaking scary.

I give you guys credit for taking on the race. There is just so much more to it than hopping on a sled and trying to go fast. It is so hard to get that across to people who have no idea how big and remote Alaska is. I'm glad to see the race receiving a lot more publicity this year. Lots of coverage in ADN and the website was very informative.

Bad deal there for your guys, but I REALLY applaud your efforts. Riding in those conditions has got to be brutal and to have the drive to even want to get back on the sled the next day is AMAZING to me. Well done and we at TY are all proud of you guys.

Regarding the engine failure, did you figure out the reason? Wrong oil? Coolant?

WOW !!! I can only imagine what you guys have been through over the past few days ! You weren't kidding when you said you would have been satisfied to even just finish the race. As others have already stated, I don't think too many folks realize exactly what it takes to do what you guys have already done, but your story sure gave me the chills just even thinking of putting myself in your position :brrr: Hats off to Jeff and Mark, that sounds like an amazing adventure ! :Rockon: And best of luck to the other teams ! ;)!

Jeff/Mark

Great job, I really appreciate the 3 day journal, gret reading, to bad it couldn't be longer. It is very interesting to see just how much can happen in a short period of time. Will you try again next year or is it to soon to tell?? How is the frost bite?

Jeff.....thanks for the update, I hope all the numb bits heal and you get back home and in good working order.

what an ordeal, I had no idea, what an eye opener. You have to do this again next year......?

ps...I find a huge Irish whisky can make most bad days better somehow.

cheers, Brian

Jeff/Mark outstanding job and certainly no let down. Just bad luck.
This is a race where anything can happen and often does.
If I was there I get both of you a real beer but since I'm not Here's a case of Cyber beer. I think after a race like that I would want to get Cyber drunk.
:drink:

Now heal up, stay in shape get those sleds back together and get ready for next year. (If you want) NO Pressure.... okay maybe a little ;)!

We still have 2 teams out there (5 AND 32) SO KEEP THOSE FINGERS CROSSED..

"It will be a great day when a 4 stroke finishes the Iron dog"

TEAMS 5 AND 32 On trail to Kaltag

"Rumors are Weather in Unalakleet has turned from Bad to Worse with blowing wind and snow. If racers are forced to leave after 12hours, Team 3 will be breaking trail."

GOOD LUCK GUYS BE CAREFUL

(KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED)

UPDATE found on the iron dog blog
TEAM 5 2/15/2008 07:51:00 AM g.p.s. ping 7:06 am just out of kaltag

TEAM 32 2/15/2008 07:59:00 AM g.p.s. ping 7:39 12 miles from kaltag heading in

Back