• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Nytro

Firstyama

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Viper LTX LE
Hello. Jumping over from the Viper section, thinking of getting a 2008 Nytro for the family. Anything I should look out for? Be aware of? Is it the same motor as my viper? Completely clueless about these sleds. Thanks

Check the front suspension and subframe to see if it has been tweaked. The 08' as a first year Nytro had the weakest subframe and it is easy to bend the lower A-arm mounting tabs. However it is also easy to fix and make it stronger than any newer Nytro. Grizztracks sells a weld in subframe reinforcement kit. I bought an 08' 2 years ago and the front end was tweaked slightly. I straightened it with a long crowbar and then had the Grizztracks kit welded in. The only other thing to look out for other than normal used sled stuff is the steering pivot on the subframe. While it uses a castle nut and cotter pin, the nut has a tendency to loosen enough to get movement in the pivot. The movement of the pivot eggs out the hole in the metal stamping on the subframe and produces all kinds of slop in the steering. Mine was real bad and I had to weld up the hole when I pulled the subframe. Its now better than ever. G.B.

Long term owner of a 2008 Nytro and I would say that if you are buying this sled for your family it is too much sled, too heavy, heavy steering, too sensitive on the throttle and a tippy sled as well with ah high centre of gravity. If it hasn't had the skis changed over to the Yamaha dual runners then it also very darty so new/young riders will find this a scary sled. Having said all that this sled has been wonderfully reliable for me over the past 12 years though I am not a heavy km rider (8,000 kms so far). And I have the dual runners which is a must upgrade. I changed the battery once, changed the belt maybe three times, the runners wear perfectly even and once they wear down a ways they basically stop wearing. The motor is a joy, very very responsive with a ton of low end grunt. Learning to gently work the throttle took a few rides to sort out -don't sneeze as the sled will take off with the slightest input. I have never touched either clutches and they seem quite happy after 8,000 km's (amazing). Rebuild the rear shocks as they are quite expensive to replace. Very comfortable seating position for me, super easy to stand up. Handlebar heaters are unreliable. Fun sled to ride though once you spend time on it. Prior to the ski change I would never let anyone try my sled out. I put in a metal baseplate for additional protection and swapped out the front steering bushings with the ohlin aluminum bushing kit.

Reactions: mp5
My wife and my 14 yr old son each have 2008 Nytros and they love them. Properly setup for the individual they can be amazing sleds.

Small gas tank....you might get 160 km to a tank riding trails.

A family friendly sled.... it is not

I owned one for many years, biggest improvement is to update the front end to 2009 specs, or better yet, buy and 09 or newer.

I owned one for many years, biggest improvement is to update the front end to 2009 specs, or better yet, buy and 09 or newer.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar position of looking at 08 Nytros. Mainly for a secondary sled, I'm interested in a 4 stroke for reliability when solo riding and as a sled a friend could use from time to time. I've found a few 08's, one is available for $1500-2000 (haven't nailed a price down yet) that I found with 7.3k miles. Is it expensive to update the front end to a 09? Is it just a-arms and spindles?

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar position of looking at 08 Nytros. Mainly for a secondary sled, I'm interested in a 4 stroke for reliability when solo riding and as a sled a friend could use from time to time. I've found a few 08's, one is available for $1500-2000 (haven't nailed a price down yet) that I found with 7.3k miles. Is it expensive to update the front end to a 09? Is it just a-arms and spindles?
Yes

I would recommend going right to the mountain tech front end if doing any swap . Better handling but also much better ball joints along with adjustability.

My wife and my 14 yr old son each have 2008 Nytros and they love them. Properly setup for the individual they can be amazing sleds.
Yes, do your research and set an 08' up the right way and you will love it. Very happy with my 08'. G.B.

Back