• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Vector another problem...

Went to go leave the resort on Sat. for long day ride and would not start. Turn over real slow. Try to jump start and only thing that would happen is the solenoid would just click, the cluster would not even come on. Battery cables will get warm. Checked connections at battery, solenoid and ground on block. What is the easiest way to get at the starter? I would like check connection there and if that ok any other places to look for???

Could be a bad battery. My battery needed to be replaced during my 3rd year of ownership. It would no longer charge.

The starter relay could be bad, I would start by having the battery tested. You need a booster pack not a battery charger if you want to go to the cables without a battery! A charger is made to charge and is not a replacement for the battery. Hope this helps!

Well I thought I might have gotten lucky when I pulled the connector off the relay it was all green. Got new relay n battery no luck. Guess I will be tearing it down to put a starter in it. It just seems that I should have at least power at the speedo.

When my battery went south, I could not even jump it. If yours turned over slow, then I think it is not your starter that is bad but your battery. You can take your battery to a shop and they can test it. If your battery checks out ok then maybe think about the starter. Or if it doesn't even want to start at all or crank over then maybe you blew a fuse like I did when my grounding block was shorting out. I blew a fuse in a small black box on the RH side (RH as you are sitting on the sled). There is a fuse box there that you can see when you remove the right side panel. I don't have my sled here at home so I can't exactly point it out to you.

I second what Metallicat said about having the battery tested. That is exactly what was wrong with my 2009 Vector after fouling the plugs. Long story there.

I my case it gave up the ghost after too much cranking and went real dead in a hurry. At least have the battery tested if nothing else.

Called the local dealer see what he would charge to replace the starter $1200.00. have to pull motor. Well I decided to do it myself. Had it out in hour 45 minutes it is junk. Now to find one, Called around none, couple dealers waiting for ones for sleds down in there shop. Got one coming out of Calif. next day air. Leaving for U.P. next week. Cheaper than rental.

Vector is back on the trail. Want to thank everyone who gave advise and big thanks to steiner for the short cut of getting to it without having to pull the motor.

My starter now took a dump along with the starter relay. One dealer quoted $1400, so I had him put it back together and brought it home today.

Brought it in to a local dealership for a second opinion and possibly trade it in on a 2006 Apex GT. Made a deal on trading it in on the Apex with a one hour second opinion on the starter and relay diagnosis, but they came up with an $1800 bill and my trade in dropped $500.

Looks like paying for a second opinion was not a good idea. I'm going to be $100 lighter and won't be getting the Apex either....

Hey man do it yourself I had mine out in less than two hours. Contact kevin at PORTYAMAHA he will treat you right on new starter. Only thing you might have to wait, mine came out of calif.

Back