• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex Ride Review

I agree berge75..I think there will be more benefits to power steering than we see yet. A Game Changer i don't know because I haven't ridden one yet. I think the Rev Chasis was a game changer, and the 4 stroke motor.

Who, where or when did anyone from Yamaha say this sled was going to be a game changer? Where did that term even come from in relation to this sled? I'm asking seriously, since I really didn't even know about it till the week before I rode it and I didn't ask while I was there.

I think if some of you knew the process it took for Yamaha to go from 2 stroke to 4 stroke back at the RX-1, and the things that go on behind the scene's with the big 4 since then, it would make you appreciate the effort that are made to produce the products we see today. You wouldn't be so much on the band wagon of 'give me this or that, and I want it brand new from the top down'

game changer...maybe it was Chris Reid?

either way...

03 rev ...
yamaha fourstroke...
polaris rush chassis....
and I do believe the power steering will be one to a lesser degree....

if they could build the sled with 8-10 more h.p. and handwarmers that work....slides that last...wont build up 30lbs of ice...come with skis that turn...shock valving thats close...and the steering unit...Id say its a hit...at least for me...

'Game changer' came from the 'supertrax' interview and is the opinion of THOSE guys, NOT a marketing tagline added by Yamaha.

Thanks Crewchief.

sj said:
game changer...maybe it was Chris Reid?

either way...

03 rev ...
yamaha fourstroke...
polaris rush chassis....
and I do believe the power steering will be one to a lesser degree....

if they could build the sled with 8-10 more h.p. and handwarmers that work....slides that last...wont build up 30lbs of ice...come with skis that turn...shock valving thats close...and the steering unit...Id say its a hit...at least for me...

That's a hell of a list.

If I ever win the lottery i'm gonna start my own online video magazine testing various products and bring average riders into the mix to do reviews.

Crewchief47 said:
'Game changer' came from the 'supertrax' interview and is the opinion of THOSE guys, NOT a marketing tagline added by Yamaha.

Not sure if the Supertrax guy coined it, but Yamaha is definately using it now as part of their marketing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_5qYyl4-RI

I'm not particularily bothered by the term though. They are trying to sell their product, so why wouldn't you want to use some exciting language to promote it? You take the risk of losing credibility if it's much ado about nothing, but like they say, bad publicity is better than no publicity!

I guess power steering could be a game changer for Yamaha. I've never been on a sled that wants to push as much as my Vector does in loose snow conditions, and yet is almost impossible to turn when the trails are hard (feels like I'm going to break the steering post in half). I call it the Jeckyl and Hyde steering. It wears me out in the tight corners when the trails are packed down and I end up wanting to chuck my sled off of the nearest cliff just to end the misery. But then when the trails are loose I feel like I'm going to end up in the trees if I take a sweeping corner too fast. I would love to have the light and predictable steering of my older Cats and Yamaha F/C machines of years past while being able to dial in good ski pressure. You should be able to run a very agressive carbide / ski combination on the power steering sleds and not wear yourself out at the end of the day. I ride 300-400 miles per day so I'm thinking this technology is indeed a "game changer" for me. Less fatigue = more happy miles and smiles!

I asked the same question about the "game changing" term and it is shown in big letters on a you tube marketing video from Yamaha Canada. Nothing like building up peoples expectations only to have them crushed once they realize the game changing sled is a refined DB II chassis with power steering. Whoopie.

I agree with what what said earlier about the Rev being a game changing sled. I'd also include the original TX-L Indy and the RX-1.

Yamaha's marketing guys always overhype their sleds and build riders expectations to levels that are simply unrealistic. Fire a couple marketing guys and hire a suspension engineer or two.

The 'Game Changer' terms where just used a couple months ago when Yammy introduced the new SHO lineup of outboard motors.

Metallicat said:
I guess power steering could be a game changer for Yamaha. I've never been on a sled that wants to push as much as my Vector does in loose snow conditions, and yet is almost impossible to turn when the trails are hard (feels like I'm going to break the steering post in half). I call it the Jeckyl and Hyde steering. It wears me out in the tight corners when the trails are packed down and I end up wanting to chuck my sled off of the nearest cliff just to end the misery. But then when the trails are loose I feel like I'm going to end up in the trees if I take a sweeping corner too fast. I would love to have the light and predictable steering of my older Cats and Yamaha F/C machines of years past while being able to dial in good ski pressure. You should be able to run a very agressive carbide / ski combination on the power steering sleds and not wear yourself out at the end of the day. I ride 300-400 miles per day so I'm thinking this technology is indeed a "game changer" for me. Less fatigue = more happy miles and smiles!
ok i'll buy this though, my nytro would be a lot funner to ride all day if it had power steering....but does this mean i have to buy a new sled??? Probably....

sj said:

Seems to me they could have all those things. Not really asking too much is it? I'd like to add to your list though....Subframe that wont bend

Power steering? WTF, the LAST thing Yam needs to do is add MORE weight & complexity! OMFG, will they never understand less weight & lower center of gravity is what they need to do? Sorry Yam, I defected to the Bumble Bee camp 'cause I wanted & got a sled that corners. Get the Pb out, lower the Cg & improve cornering. We don't want power steering, power this, power that, luxury this & luxury that. We want sleds that don't tip in the corners! Sure, Yam quality is awsome but the handling just aint there. Come on Blue Boys, give us something we want!

Why is everyone so sure this is all for next year? The Phaser was a big deal, then the Nytro. Maybe there is an Apex X model or somthing? I don't care about speed, but i know most people do, and i find it hard to believe Yamaha isn't capable of another 30 HP in the Ape.

i know everyone wants more power first and foremost (let's face it, nobody really knows for sure , we could be getting it), BUT.... i think the power steering is going to be alot cooler than it's getting credit for.

Question for the guys on the 2011 sled ride,did anybody lift the new sled by the nose?This would tell if the sled was the same weight as an apex.

Back