• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 APEX-SE---STUD LENGTH AND NUMBER???

Srxspec said:
The 1" track will not accelerate as hard as a 1.25" track in looser snow conditions. Maybe on super hard pack it will be equal acceleration, but any other place you will sacrifice, especially with the low end & midrange grunt of the 2011. You will also still have to add to the tunnel protectors with a 1" track as well because most guys would likely try to run longer studs in the 1" track.

So I have an SE that I want to run on the ice on Sat that is studded up the middle and I need to add 1/8 material to the tunnel protectors to prevent the studs from hitting the exhaust?

I am pretty sure that is what he is saying but then won't your track rub on the added protection. Another reason to go with the XTX.

I just had another look at mine with 102 1.325" up the middle and it looks okay to me. Then again the 1.325" only stick up a 1/4" above the track lug. The tunnel protectors are 3/4" deep so I should have almost 1/2" clearance to the EXUP.

I wondering if they more concerned about the rear heat exchangers on the 128's.

Will be curious what others actually see once they have got some hard trail miles on them.

Kaz

Banks93 said:
I am pretty sure that is what he is saying but then won't your track rub on the added protection. Another reason to go with the XTX.

This sounds like a problem already, since I think that was one of the reasons that survey came out from Yamaha Canada. I'm not liking this already... It sounds like the XTX s has the same problem including the rear heat exchanger as well. I mean at over 160hp, how are you supposed to hook this thing up? Plus what about the guys with the YamahaCharger at 185hp. I was also informed that you don't want to ding the EXUP exhaust, since it costs 2400.00 to replace.... :drink:

Banks93 said:

The XTX had the same issue but on the rear exchanger, how is that better?? Sounds like the same problem as the Vector LTX.

MrSled said:
Banks93 said:

The XTX had the same issue but on the rear exchanger, how is that better?? Sounds like the same problem as the Vector LTX.

So, what was the fix (if any) for the Vector LTX?

MrSled said:
Banks93 said:

No, we ran the track as loose as you could and no where near hitting on the xtx but the rear exchange could be a problem and it could be fixed with a $12 hyfax add on which IMHO is alot better than a 2400 exup system or worrying about the track rubbing on the added protection in the tunnel for the exup system.

I am adding the hyfax. : )

SledFreak said:
MrSled said:
Banks93 said:

Old hyfax added so it doesn't chew into the fins of the heat exchanger.

SledFreak said:
MrSled said:
Banks93 said:

Pop rivet on 1/8 alum bar stock on the bottom of the protectors just as Allen mentioned for the SE and XTX.

MrSled said:
SledFreak said:
MrSled said:
Banks93 said:

Pop rivet on 1/8 alum bar stock on the bottom of the protectors just as Allen mentioned for the SE and XTX.

yes, but won't the track rub the protectors at top speed, which would result in a loss at top end? I think that is why Allen said to maybe lower the skid.

SledFreak said:
MrSled said:
SledFreak said:
MrSled said:
Banks93 said:

yes, but won't the track rub the protectors at top speed, which would result in a loss at top end? I think that is why Allen said to maybe lower the skid.

An 1/8" shouldn't do anything to the top speed. Remember a tunnel design is primarily the same protectors, the same skid geometry as a 2006-2010. The difference is the exhaust change and the rear heat exchanger adder that are the issues. Allen can verify that 1/8" more on top of your current protectors shouldn't hurt it a bit. Relocating the skid for standard trail stud application is silly. If you are running more than 1/4" past the lug I think is where you run into the real problems.

I like running 1.450's, like I did in my last Apex and it was really good with no issues. I did add 1/8" flat bar to the existing protectors and everything was fine. I was hoping I could just do the same for the new Apex, but it does not sound that will be enough?

I would stick to the 1.325" to be safe. I have them in the 2010 Vector GT LTX and nothing happened last year.

Banks93 said:
I would stick to the 1.325" to be safe. I have them in the 2010 Vector GT LTX and nothing happened last year.

Thats all I had on mine and it scrapped the rear exchanger fins.

MrSled said:
Banks93 said:

Thats all I had on mine and it scrapped the rear exchanger fins.

Yes, but if you do the added hyfax trick you will have it fixed and zero issues. I was worried about the EXUP system being hit but after we looked at the Vector GT LTX it isn't any closer than what that system had for clearance. Just cut off some hyfax and add it to the protection and that fixes the rubbing issue on the rear heat exchanger.

Back