• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 vector ltx

tphinn

Extreme
Sled has almost 8000 miles, lost the bearing behind the secondary clutch this weekend. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Ever been greased?? At that kinda miles & never greased... gonna happen. Don't act surprised.

Put a new one in & ride. And grease the new one seasonally this time.

I'm not too surprised and it's already fixed, just hadn't seen it happen to any of the sleds in my group , and most have almost double the miles.

Just had my 1st fail at 3300 miles rode it another 100 to get back. To do it right you pull the entire jackshaft from the chain case. Mine was gone, just inner and outer race there and to remove the outer I had to pull the fuel tank...but with this and the exhaust cover off you could easily "whack" the old one out like I did and save the hassle of doing the chain case bearings and seal. I got pissy and did everything along with copper donuts and pulled the track with rear suspension and driveshaft and relay and carbs but my front end is ok yet! Found there are some weak points to the vector and the jack and drive shaft bearings are #1 on my sh@@ list! They need grease fittings even just to keep water and dirt out of the bearings! Can't believe with all the aftermarket crap nobody has done this yet.

It's a shame that there isn't a zerk on it & the driveshaft one too. Rather than farting around picking seals & trying not to distort them.

All my Polaris sleds had zerks on both those bearings. A couple pumps & done. Kinda like my sex life.

I was riding double and slow out of the lake from fishing last weekend. A new grinding sound started...I think I did mine in too...6300 miles.

Not sure if I take the chance at going back in there this weekend without fixing it...only a 12km round trip

Mine blew on my 2007 Apex RTX at 12,500 miles. It had never been greased.

I just hit 6700 mi. on my 2010 Vec Ltx, only things done so far are oil changes, greased zirks, and rear shock revalved. Should I have drive bearings done and donuts in off season?

Grease the bearing

While riding Cats for 30 years I learned back in the 90's that you can carefully remove the shield and pack the bearing with grease,using your finger, push as much grease as possible into the bearing then replace the seal very carefully.

I started doing this to my Yamaha sleds with my '03 RX1 Limited edition, 06 Apex, 11 Vector LTX, and will do my 14 Viper LTX when I do my summer storage maint. It is very simple to do and can save you from some expensive repairs later on.

It mainly keeps rust from forming on the ball bearings which is the most common cause of bearing failure.

APEX HANK

Are the copper donuts the way to go,when replacing the donuts? Even though my steering is tight,, may also do the bushings on susp. too. Thoughts and advice appreciated!

Back