• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

In response to RX1Mpete's question, at the minneapolis release I started taking panels off of the ones sitting on the floor, picking up both ends, had a buddy flip it up on its side, that sort of stuff. Aside from whipping all the reps into frenzy making them nervous wrecks I have to say it was actually put together pretty good. I know they are all preproduction, but panels fit well, things lined up, nothing was loose and rattling, the only thing that seemed off was the seats. Where the met the tank and the overall fit of them was off, but reps came right out and addmited the seats were not done, they did the same with the apex in 06. But to your point sitting there brand new on the floor things actually looked pretty dang good, time will tell.

That's good to hear. The other thing that concerns me is with the calibration being off (and the seats not done) tells me that final production calibrations, fittings etc will be last minute. Either Yamaha procrastinated getting this whole project together, or it just takes a lot of time to get things perfect.

It also does not leave all that much time for more testing since more than half the winter is gone and the sleds will be hitting the production line over the summer.

It seems more effort was focused on keeping the project under wraps than getting the sled dialed in. Maybe they were like Hitler who was only going to ride his Viper at night.

If they are leting people demo sleds that arent ready they are dumber than I thought. There is really no reason to demo these things......just go to your local trail head and rent one for a day (the procross 1100 na) you will see why they make great rental sleds.

Mazz said:
In response to RX1Mpete's question, at the minneapolis release I started taking panels off of the ones sitting on the floor, picking up both ends, had a buddy flip it up on its side, that sort of stuff. Aside from whipping all the reps into frenzy making them nervous wrecks I have to say it was actually put together pretty good. I know they are all preproduction, but panels fit well, things lined up, nothing was loose and rattling, the only thing that seemed off was the seats. Where the met the tank and the overall fit of them was off, but reps came right out and addmited the seats were not done, they did the same with the apex in 06. But to your point sitting there brand new on the floor things actually looked pretty dang good, time will tell.

I noticed that too.

fourload said:
Blue Dave, My Apex is set up close to yours and is very responsive with the Ulmer clutch kit. My buddy's stock 08 is not nearly as responsive and powerful feeling. His wife's 09 Nytro feels like a slug too. I think we are spoiled with our clutch kits. Hope they get the calibration right on these new Vipers!!

yes, my major ride experience on a Nytro was the one my buddy traded off last year for a supercharged Apex. His Nytro was the 2008 SE stretched to 136, had the Excel exhaust, 1.5" lug track,C&A skis, and an Ulmer clutch setup. It pulled hard to about 100mph on the speedo. But I didn't care for the handling at all. It took the bumps fine, it was the cornering I found difficult. But as said it wasn't totally stock.

He did have NOS on it for awhile but I never engaged that.

Back in '99 I went to a show to check out the new Ski-doo ZX chassis sleds. I couldn't believe how rough they looked. The hoods and mini side panel wasn't glossy and made from production materials. I think it was fiberglass. The dealer or rep said don't worry about it, these were prototypes or pre-production models, something to that effect. That next winter, 4 guys I know drove to Canada and bought 4 new MX-Z's and brought them back. The exchange rate was like 60 cents to the US dollar at that time. The sleds were perfect and nothing like the models at the show.

Another year I also went to a Yamaha show and they had the hood on the Phazer tied shut so you couldn't open it. I thought that was BS, but again, it was a display model. If you have doubts, no harm in waiting one year but nothing people have written so far seems out of the ordinary.

I just got back from Waldoch Sports demo rides in Forest Lake,MN.

They had three blue SR Vipers, two 141's and one 129 short track. As others have said, it was obvious they were in different state of tunes. I first rode the 129. The ride and handling was superb. I nailed it over all the rode approaches, got some air. This thing has a great ride, stays flat in the corners, very plush. Great rider forward design, you can stand up easy. As said the 129 version was good down low but lacked top end pull. Now the 141 was different. It seemed to have alot more all through the range. I noticed it popped a little when coming out of the throttle like the timing was advanced. All in all I really liked and enjoyed this thing. I just heard turbo kits will be available from Push too.

If they come like the 141 I rode I would be happy. A clutch kit away from being pretty darn good for performance. Probably all you need in the trails.

dfroster said:
Journeyman, Which 129 did you ride...base or SE? Thanks.

All three were the SE style blue ones with the Fox Floats.

The second one I rode was the 141 and that thing felt strong unlike the 129, which felt flat. My buddy rode the other 141 and he said it felt about like a stock Nytro the way it pulled. Like I said the 141 I rode had a little pop pop when you let off the gas as if the timing was advanced a bit but it pulled hard from bottom to top. Both machines I rode the ride and handling were fantastic ,except the 141 didn't turn as easy as the 129 did. Being I was behind my friend on the other 141 ,it seemed like the 141 I was on was stronger like I could pull him on the straights. When I was on the 129 he was pulling away from me. I hope they tune them like the second one I drove, not the first.

I really wish they would have had a 137 to ride. That's the one that interests me the most.

I thought they were having some issue with a lack of gearing ratios available for the Cat chain case? Something about a there not being a big enough selection of available top and bottom gears? That could account for the difference in the "feel" of engine performance. Also, good clutching can be a night and day difference from a mediocre set up.

Years ago I bought a clutch kit from Dynamo Joe after doing a ton of reading for my '02 Doo 440 race sled. It was close to a night and day difference in performance. I was very impressed! It was absolutely worth the $300 odd dollars for the kit.

This makes me suspect they are still trying to fine tune the Vipers and are not used to having to deal with another vendor for the parts they need.

AKrider said:
I thought they were having some issue with a lack of gearing ratios available for the Cat chain case? Something about a there not being a big enough selection of available top and bottom gears? That could account for the difference in the "feel" of engine performance. Also, good clutching can be a night and day difference from a mediocre set up.

Years ago I bought a clutch kit from Dynamo Joe after doing a ton of reading for my '02 Doo 440 race sled. It was close to a night and day difference in performance. I was very impressed! It was absolutely worth the $300 odd dollars for the kit.

This makes me suspect they are still trying to fine tune the Vipers and are not used to having to deal with another vendor for the parts they need.

Sounds like this sled will offer a lot of opportunities for the aftermarket companies!

Blue Dave said:
AKrider said:

Sounds like this sled will offer a lot of opportunities for the aftermarket companies!

Push turbo is working on units as we speak.

RX1MPete said:
Will Yamaha ever make their own turbo's?

I doubt it. If they were to offer a factory installed (or dealer installed) turbo or supercharger I am sure that they would use components supplied by an outside vendor just like I suspect Cat does. I am hoping for at least a Yamaha turbo "kit" for the Viper like the kit that they offer for the Nytro which Yamaha buys from MPI and offers through it's dealers as a factory authorized option with a full factory warranty.

Back