• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 MP Problem switching from forward to reverse and back

Ridgehunter

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 yamaha venture
I have a 2015 venture MP, it only has 400 miles and today I had problems shifting from forward to reverse and back ,the D light will be flashing and it wouldn't kick in gear until I pulled the sled back then I would hear it click in and the light would stop flashing and be on solid. I've read past posts back 2-3 years ago ,would of thought Yamaha would of corrected this problem, is this something I can fix or should I bring it to the dealer.

I agree that it is disappointing that Yamaha has failed to completely resolve this issue. Nevertheless, they haven't and I haven't read on here where anyone has completely and convincingly solved this issue. There have been improvements over the first few model years. I'd be surprised if your dealer had any success either.

mine did that last winter only in deep snow when there was a load or strain on the chain case, few things to check is engine idle rpm, belt tension and chain tension (backed mine off about 1/4 or little better turns) no issues at all! What people seem to for get all mechanical reverse will not engage all the time if the gears are not aligned my 06 pro would not sometimes, would have to move the sled ahead for it to happen . Happens to all other brands as well! Hope this helps! Cheers!

When it is cold here my sled gets put in the shop and has to be backed out. For about four or five days in a row I pushed the reverse button immediately upon start up, with the rpms at 2700 AND it took reverse immediately. Thought I was on to something but for some unknown reason that stopped working and it is as hit and miss as ever. Lately I have more trouble getting it back into forward and have to turn it off and restart.

I can live with it but it was dangerous once when we came up on some thin ice and the other guy backed out of trouble and I was sitting there dicking around trying to get my sled to take reverse.

I have no proof that the looser than spec chain works but it makes sense and I don't see a down side.

I have BOTH issues with the reverse. The usual "push the button and it flashes and off-beeps" requiring to jerk the sled back and forth. I tried everything. I experimented with the belt off and it seems to me it's caused by too much tension on the secondary clutch by the belt. Mine has been getting worse and I think it's because as the sled gets older, the spring in the shift motor is getting weaker and less able to overcome this tension in the gears. When I first got the sled, the only thing that worked to get it to engage was to lift the rear of the sled. Loosening the chain helped with that. I haven't had to do that in a long time. Thinking about it now, maybe setting the idle on the low side might help. I wonder also if trying different gear lubes or oil might make a difference in letting the gears slide on each other. Thinner, thicker, different brands, transmission fluid, engine oil, marine grade gear oil. Even thinking if adding friction modifier for limited slip differentials to the gear oil might help. Too late for me to try anything now as my season is likely over.

The other problem "push the button and nothing happens" requiring a restart is the most frustrating for me as I can't figure out the root cause of it. I just have a suspicion that the flashing D light has something to do with it but can't pinpoint the actual cause for it. Seems to happen more on deceleration. Could be a poor contact for the forward gear switch in the gear case.

I'm seriously thinking of taking my gear case apart and polishing the gear surfaces so they slide better on each other and replacing the switch.

It is surprising to me that Yamaha hasn't been able to resolve this issue even with new sleds. It seems to be sporadic though. While I have the problem constantly, my son on his Phazer rarely does (flashing light only).

I have BOTH issues with the reverse. The usual "push the button and it flashes and off-beeps" requiring to jerk the sled back and forth. I tried everything. I experimented with the belt off and it seems to me it's caused by too much tension on the secondary clutch by the belt. Mine has been getting worse and I think it's because as the sled gets older, the spring in the shift motor is getting weaker and less able to overcome this tension in the gears. When I first got the sled, the only thing that worked to get it to engage was to lift the rear of the sled. Loosening the chain helped with that. I haven't had to do that in a long time. Thinking about it now, maybe setting the idle on the low side might help. I wonder also if trying different gear lubes or oil might make a difference in letting the gears slide on each other. Thinner, thicker, different brands, transmission fluid, engine oil, marine grade gear oil. Even thinking if adding friction modifier for limited slip differentials to the gear oil might help. Too late for me to try anything now as my season is likely over.

The other problem "push the button and nothing happens" requiring a restart is the most frustrating for me as I can't figure out the root cause of it. I just have a suspicion that the flashing D light has something to do with it but can't pinpoint the actual cause for it. Seems to happen more on deceleration. Could be a poor contact for the forward gear switch in the gear case.

I'm seriously thinking of taking my gear case apart and polishing the gear surfaces so they slide better on each other and replacing the switch.

It is surprising to me that Yamaha hasn't been able to resolve this issue even with new sleds. It seems to be sporadic though. While I have the problem constantly, my son on his Phazer rarely does (flashing light only).
Thanks everyone it surprises me also that with my 2015 it hasn't been resolved since it's been happening with sleds back from 2008 from what I've seen, I'm going to give the rocking motion a try and try taking a quarter turn off the chain like Back Country Yamaha suggested.

Actually since 2007 but who's counting :D

Back