• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 YAMAHA SNOWMOBILES

What if they made the new phaser a cheaper starter sled about $8,000 or less. They could cheapen a few things like gauges etc, and put a motor in it like the original vector motor (non efi) Would make it kind of bullet proof, easy to tune, snappy in a light chassis, and put it in the same category as a Polaris Indy. With the cool viper look, and a cheaper price point yamaha could start grabbing the younger generation. Which is what yamaha needs desperately IMO. Up till the new viper the yamaha brand has had the stigma of being the heavy, rich mans sled. Give it a bullet proof motor, a modern finish, and a cheap price with no bells and whistles you have a new crowd.
We know a new phaser, and mountain are coming, but this would really help for those wanting to get kids, the wife, or just those on a budget into the sport.
:sled1:

horkn said:
Phatboyc said:
Interesting but to much re-engineering I think. I'm sure they have plenty of choice of engines without to much work needed to adapt. Like they did with the RX1/Apex bike engine.

Then again, where did the Nytro engine come from?

The nytro motor, even the 973 version was an fjr motorcycle motor with 1 cylinder chopped off.

Thanks for the info. I think chopping off cylinders is easier than what was previously discussed. One thing is for sure, regardless of the engine they come up with it will be bullet proof as usual. These bike engines have enormous R&D time behind them seeing they are made for 10 times the volume than sleds.

Everyone was surprise when they started hitting 40,000km but how many km do these bike do? :)

I'm hoping for a Tweaked motor out of the Phazer Approx 95hp in a YamaCat Snow Pro 500 chassis with a new seat better windshield and stretched to 137" and of course Blue Color.
Around $7500.00 They would sell a ton of these.
I will take 2 PLEASE

sheetwright said:
What if they made the new phaser a cheaper starter sled about $8,000 or less. They could cheapen a few things like gauges etc, and put a motor in it like the original vector motor (non efi) Would make it kind of bullet proof, easy to tune, snappy in a light chassis, and put it in the same category as a Polaris Indy. With the cool viper look, and a cheaper price point yamaha could start grabbing the younger generation. Which is what yamaha needs desperately IMO. Up till the new viper the yamaha brand has had the stigma of being the heavy, rich mans sled. Give it a bullet proof motor, a modern finish, and a cheap price with no bells and whistles you have a new crowd.
We know a new phaser, and mountain are coming, but this would really help for those wanting to get kids, the wife, or just those on a budget into the sport.
:sled1:
Yamaha pretty much has zero interest in budget riders or people that cant spend 10k to ride. Proof is in a 2014 phazer that has a msrp of around 2k more than the 07 phazer with little to no upgrades done to it in 7 years. I would love a vector base with carb motor and no PS with a price point of 500 more than the 08 price but instead the vector is 2700 more. Thats just a bad deal. I really hope they work on getting in touch with reality and bring something that is affordable and fun to ride in the 100-110 hp range.

Phatboyc said:
horkn said:
Phatboyc said:
Interesting but to much re-engineering I think. I'm sure they have plenty of choice of engines without to much work needed to adapt. Like they did with the RX1/Apex bike engine.

Then again, where did the Nytro engine come from?

The nytro motor, even the 973 version was an fjr motorcycle motor with 1 cylinder chopped off.

Thanks for the info. I think chopping off cylinders is easier than what was previously discussed. One thing is for sure, regardless of the engine they come up with it will be bullet proof as usual. These bike engines have enormous R&D time behind them seeing they are made for 10 times the volume than sleds.

Everyone was surprise when they started hitting 40,000km but how many km do these bike do? :)

No matter what the Japanese bike brand, any modernish 4 stroke bike can easily do 60,000 miles as I know several that have that kind of mileage on them. There's many with 100,000 miles on them and they still pull very well. I've got over 35000 miles on my Suzuki tl1000s and I've got a good 15 hop over stock out of it. Change the oil, check the shims, and it's good to go.

Things I have noted with Yamaha over the past few years:
- Moving most R and D to 3 cyclinders engine plats on sleds and bikes ( cross plane motor)
-Only upgrades to 4 cyclinders were Exup and power steering( Later PS added to vector and Venture)
- Cost cutting to keep price down with removal of GTR front shocks, ohlins rear... and now only std shock packages unless you upgrade yourself.
- partner with Cat for a temp chassis fix and cheap way to call this a new sled?
- Wasted the SRX name on a 120kids sled.... really what a mistake!

I personnally don't see much new for 15 other than a Viper MTN, maybe a new phazer in viper chasis? The big move might be viper chasis with power steering.

I don't see a new chasis for a while as I think they will ride the viper chasis to get the $$ out of it. I do have hope that there might be a new Apex someday in a new chasis but unfortinlaty it will have only 3 holes. I plan on keeping My apex for a while until somthing gets my attention!

;):D ;):D ;):D

Well as I see they have two ways to go from a business standpoint. Eather go all in with cat and put their 3-4 motors in cat chassies or do a new one plattform Yamaha chassis.

Engine wies I'm sure they are developing a new one but the question is if it's worth going forth with it until you have a platform strategy? For the other brand environmental regulations drive development but I don't think that applies to the 4 strokes so why take to much cost developing engines when the engines are good and meet requirements?

I personally think that 2016 is going to b a big year for all the snowmobile brands so I guess my plan as of now is to ride my nytro till its time to snow check in 2016 and im buying what ever is the best mountain sled. Polaris is out of the question tho I dont care how light they are. But im really hoping yamaha pulls there head out and makes a 180hp stock sled that weight less than 500 dry but I know thats a long shot but a guy can dream.

IMO the Nytro and Vector will be gone. The Phazer motor will be in the Viper Chassis next year and the Apex will either be the same or replaced by a boosted version of the Viper.

Take a look at pictures of the Viper exhaust, where the pipes go over the jackshaft. If the jackshaft was raised a bit there would be room for the pipes to go under, and thus lower the motor a couple inches. Then the could slide the Apex motor in, or anything else. Of course it would require a new chaincase with a longer chain, and intake could present some challenges, but sure seems doable and a really nice end product.

If you are listening Yamaha please make an Apex replacement or a new Hypersled! Viper stand up style with 170 + N/A HP. I'm throwing all my coins in the wishing well for this one. Venture with AC or pure Yamaha I will spring order that regardless.

I doubt you will see a hypersled because that is not what the majority of the market is focused on this moment in time. The crossover market is pretty much #2 and #1 is the mountain market. The other manufacturers are focused on building multiple models on one platform which is smart because the savings are huge when it comes to r&d and manufacturing costs. Almost every sled doo and poo make share multiple parts. Teaming up with cat saved them huge costs on r&d of a new chassis. In return cat will save huge and will have an excellent engine manufacturer when it comes to engine selection. This chassis will stick around for a while with updates of course. I think 2014 was just testing the waters for the two manufacturers to see the interest. Do I think we'll see another engine with more power in this chassis? Yes. Will it be 2 or 4 stroke and what year is the question.

I do not the feel our 2010 FI 3 cylinder Vector LTX gives. It does better mpg but I don't care.
I won't give up my Apex 4 cylinder. It's so much better.
Yami if your listening. Don't forget me.

Back