• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 chain case leak

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Viper LTX LE
2012 Phazer 500
so... A buddy and I just picked up our brand new 2016 LTX LE sleds and they both are wet on the bottom bolt of the chain case and dripping out of the cover that is riveted to the chassis...and, the one in their showroom was wet too. Has anybody seen this issue with their new machines? Our dealer called Yamaha, and Yamaha said they haven't heard of this problem ? Kinda weird that both of our sleds are doing it.... Zero miles ....don't really want my brand new machine ripped part before its turned the track.

I wouldnt get too concerned. Most likely it's the cosmoline dripping from being sprayed on at the factory.

I wouldnt get too concerned. Most likely it's the cosmoline dripping from being sprayed on at the factory.
That is more than likely it , or maybe the dealer added some oil and some spilled and they didn't clean it up , never heard of any leaking right from the factory!

But anything is possible!

This is really weird. I got my ltx le home, got looking and seen it was wet under the belly pans around the cover.

I assumed it was a bit of oil from the dealer when they installed the turbo. But it sounds exactly like your sleds

I cleaned it all off and watched for more. Three weeks now and no more oil. I'm not concernd.

Nope never heard of it??? Yamaha is full of crap. Only 1000 Miles.

Attachments

• 1442920865438.jpg
    1442920865438.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 690
My 2016 ZR7000 Limited has ZERO miles and it is dripping on the floor from the chain case.
All combines drip oil.................

I would clean with BrakeClean real good and if it starts again bring it in. You dont want to deal with that setup so soon. Shouldnt have to.

Remember that there is 3 different versions of covers.
14-Thin Tab
14,15-Thick Tab
15,16-Dipstick Version

If we want to fix possible problem it would be best to know which version. I assume all 16's have dipstick version. Let's figure this out. I know gasket is also different maybe some oil gets between ledges on gasket and eventually seeps out. So starting from clean how long before oil spot appears?

Add me to the list of chain case leaks. Just found it today...And another kick back and battery just about dead, must be my lucky day

Just talked to my dealer. Mine is the one that was the worse leaking. They put on a mile on it last night. Seen one drop on the screw this morning. Still trying to figure out where it is coming from

Ok first determine if it is engine oil or chaincase oil. If it's engine oil look for a missing o ring on the bolt on oil hose fitting.

It's Chain case, I looked into my window and it was almost empty.

Back