• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Models

Well, this thread has been entertaining but I've not felt the urge to put my 2 cents worth in, but we're getting close to "The Day" so here goes. This old man stays with his Vector because it has EPS. It also has a good power plant. Maintenance is difficult. I have yet to see the spark plugs. Checking the oil is a royal pain. Battery? It's in there somewhere I guess. Suspension? Not much better than our 1997 Venture. EPS however is so good that we will keep it.

It's beginning to look like YMC might take longer than anyone expected to release a new Yamaha-made sled. I guess we'll know soon enough whether the 5-year agreement with Cat will mean more Yammie motors in Cat chassis'.

There's also been some speculation that Cat has a new chassis this year. If so, my first question is whether the Yamaha/Cat agreement precludes Yamaha from using any new chassis' that Cat might develop?

One thing I know for sure is that by tomorrow, I will know whether I am sticking with Team Blue or looking elsewhere for a new sled. I'm in the market now, and so I'm not going to wait around for Yamaha to catch up. Either this is their year or it isn't. I know I'll be taking a chance on reliability with another brand, but I figure I'll get at least a couple of seasons out of a new sled before it explodes (fingers crossed). Hopefully, that's enough time for Yamaha to get its act together ... at which point, I'll be back.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to what is coming out, I love my new viper and haven't had any issues with it really, it would be nice if it had a bit more power though. Anyone know a rough time they maybe releasing the new 2016 sleds whether it will be tomorrow morning or night I am getting anxious!!

It's beginning to look like YMC might take longer than anyone expected to release a new Yamaha-made sled. I guess we'll know soon enough whether the 5-year agreement with Cat will mean more Yammie motors in Cat chassis'.

There's also been some speculation that Cat has a new chassis this year. If so, my first question is whether the Yamaha/Cat agreement precludes Yamaha from using any new chassis' that Cat might develop?

One thing I know for sure is that by tomorrow, I will know whether I am sticking with Team Blue or looking elsewhere for a new sled. I'm in the market now, and so I'm not going to wait around for Yamaha to catch up. Either this is their year or it isn't. I know I'll be taking a chance on reliability with another brand, but I figure I'll get at least a couple of seasons out of a new sled before it explodes (fingers crossed). Hopefully, that's enough time for Yamaha to get its act together ... at which point, I'll be back.

I was told it was a 3 year agreement with Cat back when this started. I was also told they are still planning on building new models in Japan. But that was a couple years ago and those ideas may have changed.

If I was buying any other machine than a 4 stroke Yamaha it would also have to be another 4 stroke. I love the reliability, turn key start, no smoke,87 octane and the torque. Just a worry free machine that keeps me from having to twirl wrenches anymore. That being said the only other machine that interests me is the 1200 Ski-Doo in a Renegade chassis with the R-Motion skid. Now that it has the newer body panels and ICT it looks like an enticing model. Too bad they don't bump it to 150HP though.

journeyman said:
Too bad they don't bump it to 150HP though

Leave that up to the aftermarket.

BTW - Maybe I have the facts wrong regarding the length of the Agreement. I guess I'm going on what I remember, and my memory isn't very good. But I seem to recall there being something said about a new model every year for the next five years ... I guess I assumed some of those models would come from Japan.

Leave that up to the aftermarket.

BTW - Maybe I have the facts wrong regarding the length of the Agreement. I guess I'm going on what I remember, and my memory isn't very good. But I seem to recall there being something said about a new model every year for the next five years ... I guess I assumed some of those models would come from Japan.

The problem is when Yamaha says a new model more times than not it's the same model with a slight change like a shock package.

The problem is when Yamaha says a new model more times than not it's the same model with a slight change like a shock package.

exactly,lol! Looking at the new doo line up and all the different models with different motors, shock packages and options suited for every rider and budget.Purpose built sleds, not just it'll do, make it work, here you go. Damn right number 1, and for plenty of reasons. 4yr warranty to boot. There is just soo much more being offered by leading-edge companies and now that I have pulled my head out of the snow its becoming more clear everyday. I might not comeback. Freeride is awesome. might even buy a poo next if that 800 works out.

exactly,lol! Looking at the new doo line up and all the different models with different motors, shock packages and options suited for every rider and budget.Purpose built sleds, not just it'll do, make it work, here you go. Damn right number 1, and for plenty of reasons. 4yr warranty to boot. There is just soo much more being offered by leading-edge companies and now that I have pulled my head out of the snow its becoming more clear everyday. I might not comeback. Freeride is awesome. might even buy a poo next if that 800 works out.

When the mfg's get to #1 they seem to start offering models for every niche much like Polaris did several years ago. This can be good and can be bad. In Polaris's case they were sitting on loads of inventory when the market changed that they couldn't get rid of. I guess they all go through this when they are trying to keep their market share. Been awhile since Yamaha was #1 though, close to 30 years.

I have been seeing lots of 900 ACE engines out in the bush. We have an 900 ACE Renegade at work and when it gets loaded on the trailer it sounds like it has an electric motor in it. Now compare that sled to my own sled with a super loud rattling clutch...which drives me nuts! Someone told me BRP is supposed to turbo that engine for next year. If so, it would be quite the package.

Back