• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2019 release

Saw this posted somewhere else. Looks like the backend of an SRX.
1d3daf20d7423557fca592e2dab5e9c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What I get from the whole teaser video is
New Yamaha chassis powered by a two stroke riding on the Cat suspension.
And it's geared towards racing.
The only “new” things I noticed are an old Simple 2 stroke style throttle block on the handle bars and extra idlers on the skid. Clearly says Genesis 4 stroke on the side panel and it’s still a procross

Attachments

• 920E411E-2426-4321-976A-C8FB9D876E17.png
    920E411E-2426-4321-976A-C8FB9D876E17.png
    505.2 KB · Views: 1,028
  • A70756B6-CE36-436A-8EBC-68446D3C13D4.png
    A70756B6-CE36-436A-8EBC-68446D3C13D4.png
    480.4 KB · Views: 1,060
That is the back end of an SRX, look at the tail light and snow flap. Listening to it a few times over it even sounds like a SRX and when passing by in the video looks to have a trailing arm. I'm betting its a tease of the 2000's SRX against a "new" SRX. New sales pitch "The SRX is back"

Exactly what it is. Anyone that owned an SRX would know one when they saw it. The new one is a re-labeled sidewinder as an SRX. Note the Yamaha racing blue, blue a-arms etc. They are going to mimic the SRX. As they are saying, undisputed King of the dragstrip. Too bad that's all the other brands see it as, is a dragstrip queen.

Those that don't have 208hp stock, all they can do is badmouth the weight.

What I could see happening is rather than just bold new graphics is offering the 998T as the SRX and the 998NA as the Venom replacing the viper and it's 1049. It may not be this year, as I'm sure they have piles of 1049 engines left to get out. But standardizing on the 998 and 998T would make good business sense. Just like SkiDoo getting rid of the 1200 which they had to pay royalties on. Now they have the Ace 900 and Ace 900 Turbo built on the engine they use in the Spark, Spyder and Can Am products.

If they can get more than 135hp out of the NA 998, it would make the perfect replacement for the Viper.

Exactly what it is. Anyone that owned an SRX would know one when they saw it. The new one is a re-labeled sidewinder as an SRX. Note the Yamaha racing blue, blue a-arms etc. They are going to mimic the SRX. As they are saying, undisputed King of the dragstrip. Too bad that's all the other brands see it as, is a dragstrip queen.

What I could see happening is rather than just bold new graphics is offering the 998T as the SRX and the 998NA as the Venom replacing the viper and it's 1049. It may not be this year, as I'm sure they have piles of 1049 engines left to get out. But standardizing on the 998 and 998T would make good business sense. Just like SkiDoo getting rid of the 1200 which they had to pay royalties on. Now they have the Ace 900 and Ace 900 Turbo built on the engine they use in the Spark, Spyder and Can Am products.

If they can get more than 135hp out of the NA 998, it would make the perfect replacement for the Viper.

Like 150-160 hp for a Viper/Apex replacement.

There are rumors floating around that the new Textron Wildcat XX will be using a massaged version of the 998 N/A that makes 130 HP. I could totally see Yamaha discontinuing the 1049 so they can use one engine in several segments. The Wildcat XX, YXZ, and the Cat and Yamaha sleds could all utilize the same engine. Same with the current turbo. The sxs industry has a 1,000cc limit, which makes the 1049 a obsolete.

There are rumors floating around that the new Textron Wildcat XX will be using a massaged version of the 998 N/A that makes 130 HP. I could totally see Yamaha discontinuing the 1049 so they can use one engine in several segments. The Wildcat XX, YXZ, and the Cat and Yamaha sleds could all utilize the same engine. Same with the current turbo. The sxs industry has a 1,000cc limit, which makes the 1049 a obsolete.
That's not a rumor anymore. It's for sure and the release will be on the 25th with the sleds. They are also going to offer the full 998T in the XX as well in the very near future. That's good business to standardize on limited engines, let alone use it in multiple platforms and multiple brands.

Saw this posted somewhere else. Looks like the backend of an SRX.

1d3daf20d7423557fca592e2dab5e9c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is a SRX on the left side, no doubt. But if you look the new model is sitting right beside it in the pic, Behind the glove of the person standing on the right. Plain as Jane. Now is it truly "new" , or just another Y rendition of new.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, it looks like they are taking a page out of the Dodge Demon intro.
If an OEM stresses straight line racing with an SRX as the anchor sled at a light tree, I can only assume they are bringing it, such as jamming an Apex like motor + turbo in a Sidewinder like chassis, along with twin tailpipes singing down the drag strip leaving the competition in the snow dust.
They are surely watching the aftermarket tuners (ecu and clutch) and see there's a market for what I would call extreme performance enhancements in the context of sled speeds.
Perhaps Yamaha is not sharing this one with AC.

If I had to guess, it looks like they are taking a page out of the Dodge Demon intro.
If an OEM stresses straight line racing with an SRX as the anchor sled at a light tree, I can only assume they are bringing it, such as jamming an Apex like motor + turbo in a Sidewinder like chassis, along with twin tailpipes singing down the drag strip leaving the competition in the snow dust.
They are surely watching the aftermarket tuners (ecu and clutch) and see there's a market for what I would call extreme performance enhancements in the context of sled speeds.
Perhaps Yamaha is not sharing this one with AC.

Too me it doesn't sound like a apex motor, I know your just suggesting along those lines. What does a stock winder run for boost 9PSI? So I'm thinking it's a NA 998 3 holer that makes around the 160-165hp range installed in the sidewinder chassis, named the SRX.

Yup, rebadged srx...arse end is the same and the blue grips.

I don’t like how it says “final round” on the light tree though....

Last edited:
It's a lowered down version of the sidewinder and more than likely will be called a srx, pretty sure its been in the works for a couple of years now. That's my guess, I don't really think they are going back to the pro action with trailing arms but who knows, it probably would work better than the old delta box :jump:

Still a shared chassis. Don't get too big of Blue Balls. [emoji23]

I vote SRX, or Venom. 998 N/A 165ish hp.
4fd65eb477b8a4e944702500ee641137.jpg
23de310764a084bd33d5b33b99fa6e2e.jpg
2b31cdaace25acb29e645d7433f0f495.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Wont we know on the 25th when AC does their 2019 release, esp if it is a shared platform?

"The future is near. Witness the reveal of the all-new, industry-changing 2019 #ArcticCat models on 2.25.18."

Back