• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, I might have to pay a visit to them to see how it went...nice to see some guys in my area riding the yami’s in the mountains! Not many of us left

After changing out some clutch components on my Kodiak 700 I really got to look at how compact the 686 engine/ultramatic/transmission is in it. Yamaha put forged internals in it and bumped it to 50hp when it came back in 19' and I wonder how it would do in a "blast" type sled, you could even leave the Low range in the LT version for a nice Entry work/Fishing sled. I'm not sure if the Phazer engine would fit in the blast unless they removed the gear reduction as that adds quite a bit of width to that engine.

Totally agree about the 998 it only makes sense but I just can't believe that Cat and Yamaha are coming out with something new and it hasn't been leaked out by now. Well we will soon find out and if they are bringing something new to the table and it didn't get leaked that is a awesome job by both companies for keeping it quiet. But I'll believe it when I see it and I'm definitely not holding my breath.
I agree if Cat and Yamaha have a new performance sled it better leak pretty darn soon or buyers will spend their cash somewhere else or not at all depending on their specific needs.

Totally agree about the 998 it only makes sense but I just can't believe that Cat and Yamaha are coming out with something new and it hasn't been leaked out by now. Well we will soon find out and if they are bringing something new to the table and it didn't get leaked that is a awesome job by both companies for keeping it quiet. But I'll believe it when I see it and I'm definitely not holding my breath.
I agree if Cat and Yamaha have a new performance sled it better leak pretty darn soon or buyers will spend their cash somewhere else or not at all depending on their specific needs.

Cats got nothing else then what they let out early be my guess. Textron got it for a song, will probably spend very little on r+D .they string along a bit until their stock nose dives with the next down turn. then they dump Cat to give the share price a boost and make Wall Street Happy "Increase share holder value" Just look up AMF corporation from the 70s same deal. Does it make me happy ? no. Does it make excellent business sense in today's environment ? , yes
Wouldn't expect anything else from Textron, this is Cats last kick at the can sort of speak, but I will say they are spending some money with R+D with some new models and gimmicks, keeping up to the other OEM's or more, Yamaha...not to sure their direction but this year will tell it all for Yamaha sleds division.

After changing out some clutch components on my Kodiak 700 I really got to look at how compact the 686 engine/ultramatic/transmission is in it. Yamaha put forged internals in it and bumped it to 50hp when it came back in 19' and I wonder how it would do in a "blast" type sled, you could even leave the Low range in the LT version for a nice Entry work/Fishing sled. I'm not sure if the Phazer engine would fit in the blast unless they removed the gear reduction as that adds quite a bit of width to that engine.
The 686 is a good ATV engine, and it would suit as a utility type model, but would be a turd otherwise in a sled as far as any performance goes.

Have to agree the 686 is a good engine but it would be a turd in a sled, now their 850 twin with a turbo might be a different story, lightweight.. HP would be around 110 and would be lighter then the NA 998 at around 112 hp, also the 850 would be easier to shoehorn into a sled and compete with the 900 ace, Yamaha likes using turbo's with their engines.

The Phazer engine beefed up a little with Turbo would have been awesome for a mountain model and should have been built many years ago along with improved chassis.
Remember that video about 12 years ago of the Western Yamaha sales rep on a Turbo'd Phazer destroying the 800's? How much more of a hint did they need?
I think most of us here would often agree that Yamaha can't see the forest for the trees.

I would expect that Yamaha will tip their current hand in MY 2021 or 2022.

Ya maybe 2023 or 2024 I hate to say it but the way the winter's have been and the cost of these new machines it doesn't look good for the snow biz period. Can you really blame Yamaha for holding back on new machine. There is a lot of time and money that goes into something new and with very little income being brought back in. I can tell right now I don't care what they come out with i will not take a gamble on paying 15 or 16 G'S and have it sit in the garage because the winter's suck. We got 2 ft of snow were i live and the trail are in great shape but the lakes suck and the swamps are barely hanging on suppose to be 38 today and 42 tomorrow season could be over real soon. It's just not worth the gamble anymore in my eyes.

this is my best friends sled.....its an animal....i am going to build my own if they dont release one....most fun sled i have ever ridden.
Any idea on the weight vs stock? Always thought it would be nice if the big aftermarket companies went full out on a weight reduction what they could get it down too, like Burandt does with the Poo's. Carbon fibre & titanium everything! Lol

The Phazer engine beefed up a little with Turbo would have been awesome for a mountain model and should have been built many years ago along with improved chassis.
Remember that video about 12 years ago of the Western Yamaha sales rep on a Turbo'd Phazer destroying the 800's? How much more of a hint did they need?
I think most of us here would often agree that Yamaha can't see the forest for the trees.

Skidoo kind of opened the door for this, Yamaha could slap them across the face with an "all-altitude 165hp" 847T. 850 vs 850! It would take every bit of 15psi boost to get the 847 to 165hp though, at sealevel.

I don't think Cat showed everything in their early release, I think there is more to come, maybe there is a new co built chassis to be unwrapped yet, could be what Yamaha models are going to be housed in, I would sooner like to see a new Yamaha chassis and begin the break away process from Cat, the NA 998 is around 112 hp its being used in Yamahas sport Side x Side, so putting that engine in the Viper will put the power down but they may be able to match with some tuning, I think they may have a new engine in the works possible a twin turbo or maybe use the new R1 engine.

I agree, folks on HCS are crying that AC never showed up at the snow show, and never announced any 4 strokes thinking they killed them off. No, AC never goes tot he Sneak Peak, as they always said, we will get our next model year sleds in the dealerships where folks can drop their cash. And so far they have done that by putting 2021 models in the showrooms already with my local dealers giving test rides on them!!!

As for the NA998, AC is claiming 125-130hp in the Wildcat XX, which equates to 98 wheel hp. Wherever it falls, anything that is slightly greater than the average 600 is where it should be. All my buddies that borrow our Viper coming off a 600 2-stroke is impressed.

As for a new two stroke, I won't be looking that way unless it's an actual Yamaha engine. But the AC CTEC2 engines are doing really well in our group. Way better on oil and fuel over previous generations. I don't want one, but I would consider it if the Trail Tank dies.

Would really like to attend a demo ride for the Blast, but they don't seem to be planning one in my area (or in Minnesota for that matter). Where is Sheetwright? I think he has connections on the inside. If I remember correctly, He called it about 24 hrs before the Sidewinder was released ... might have even leaked a photo that was pulled shortly after it was posted here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back