• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Sled Buyers

That Brunette has nice teeth!
Those colors remind me of my '78 YZ 100.
Punched out .020 with WISECO pistons & rings.
I took the restrictor plate off so it wasn't street legal anymore.

IMG_5349.jpg

Did you see her teeth!

I think that Jaret should follow your advice. It could be the marketing coup that Yamaha needs right now.
Bunny part duex, helped back in the day when 4s hit the market in 02 with the RX DB 1

The Alpha is Narrow body its noticeable compared to a Sidewinder and way better than a old Viper. Feels like a Doo or Polaris knee wise. So easy to move around on. The one I rode a couple times is a Hardcore so it had the QS3 shocks with Lockout. HardCore 153 I believe. The throttle and clutch response is instant. That stood out right away. I have never ridden a sled that felt so connected to my thumb. I only took it up to 60mph on the trail but even at that speed it handled very well and was great in the bumps. Trail we were on had 4ft banks straight up and down with trees lining sides. Even at 40mph you could easily just pop right up those banks I did that 3 or 4 times cause it just was unbelievable. Didnt even seem to need to lean. Then when off the trail you could stop and the instant you touch the throttle the skiis are up out of the snow and you move. I could lean the thing over in any conditions. So light! There isnt much to say about the offtrail since I could not get it stuck in the snow we were in either time I rode it. Not saying it wont happen I am sure it will. The track never had snow packed in the whole thing like all the other sleds did. It rolled out right away. If I could afford a Mountain Max I would rather have that but I am just a beginner off trail guy and never rode mountains other than the hills the UP MI has. The off trail group here at TY has got me hooked though and I have watched them really become skillful at it. I think the Venom is perfect for what I want to do. Learn a new part of the sport!
Did it run hot on the trails?I read alot about heat issues on the Alphas and M8s due to the single small exchanger.I have to do alot of trail riding to get to the play spots and there is alot of spring riding here.This is my biggest concern with this sled.

Did it run hot on the trails?I read alot about heat issues on the Alphas and M8s due to the single small exchanger.I have to do alot of trail riding to get to the play spots and there is alot of spring riding here.This is my biggest concern with this sled.
No but the trail ride was in loose snow. I have no doubt scratchers will be needed in the mornings on fresh hard trail or anytime snow is not getting kicked up. My 800RR is same thing. One reason its not used for most of my big rides and Viper is. Nothing beats a radiator!

No but the trail ride was in loose snow. I have no doubt scratchers will be needed in the mornings on fresh hard trail or anytime snow is not getting kicked up. My 800RR is same thing. One reason its not used for most of my big rides and Viper is. Nothing beats a radiator!
Yeah ,the radiator works excellent.As long as im moving it doesnt matter what the conditions are like ,it wont overheat.The temp might go up but it wont overheat.Thanks.

I wish Yamaha offered a sled similar to the Riot X.I really want the Mountain Max and im all set with the dealer.Just need to send the money tomorrow but all I read about are heat issues unless youre in deep snow all the time.These sleds seem to have a hard time getting to the snow without overheating.Thinking i might have to back out.

Last edited:
I wish Yamaha offered a sled similar to the Riot X.I really want the Mountain Max and im all set with the dealer.Just need to send the money tomorrow but all I read about are heat issues unless youre in deep snow all the time.These sleds seem to have a hard time getting to the snow without overheating.Thinking i might have to back out.
They don’t actually overheat. They do go into a limp mode with warning light. Just means put scratchers down! It’s always been this way on sled without radiator or a lot of exchangers.

Cannondale has good advise...jut use scratchers, they make a big difference. You also might want to catch some snow off the side of the trail every now and then until you get into deep snow.

I went ahead and Spring ordered the 154 " Mountain Max today.I'll keep the Viper for a second sled.

Back