• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

35/39 Dalton Helix

my ulmer kit holds rpm at 8800 for as long as I hold it, doesn't drop at all with stock 35.
Im sure your "kit" has a primary spring too??

I am fairly certain the stock primary spring is abit too low, and causes this laziness...Will be trying another primary spring a tad higher.

I think the 37/33 is a really nice helix, and may just try that one myself.

Dan

Never drops in any condition?? What weights does he run in his kit? I think he use to run super tip

Great kit if rpm doesn't drop but I've never had luck buying kits. Always had to make adjustments myself after buying a kit
this is the reason I wont buy a kit, while some work well, I always am so anal about things I end up having to tweak the kit and then you are stuck not knowing rates,angles ect.....At least in my own testing I write everthing down and know which way I need to go to get there.

But I think a spring is needed with these Dalton weights, at least to ge the bottom to be snappier....they pull like freight train everywhere else already, but they swing heavy IMO with that curve so that stock light primary spring is just not enough.

Dan

Never drops in any condition?? What weights does he run in his kit? I think he use to run super tip

Great kit if rpm doesn't drop but I've never had luck buying kits. Always had to make adjustments myself after buying a kit
STM weights and a new spring. Stock secondary. I don't waste my time testing in crap conditions, hard pack groomed snow, rpms hold as long as I hold it. His setup works for me. Just want to find a good helix to try and get a little more. Then it'll be time to flash.

this is the reason I wont buy a kit, while some work well, I always am so anal about things I end up having to tweak the kit and then you are stuck not knowing rates,angles ect.....At least in my own testing I write everthing down and know which way I need to go to get there.

But I think a spring is needed with these Dalton weights, at least to ge the bottom to be snappier....they pull like freight train everywhere else already, but they swing heavy IMO with that curve so that stock light primary spring is just not enough.

Dan

Did you find out the start and finish rate on the stock spring?

Im sure your "kit" has a primary spring too??

I am fairly certain the stock primary spring is abit too low, and causes this laziness...Will be trying another primary spring a tad higher.

I think the 37/33 is a really nice helix, and may just try that one myself.

Dan
I do have a new spring which came in ulmers kit. I've never felt the laziness your talking about. Actually I think your the first to mention it to be honest.

STM weights and a new spring. Stock secondary. I don't waste my time testing in crap conditions, hard pack groomed snow, rpms hold as long as I hold it. His setup works for me. Just want to find a good helix to try and get a little more. Then it'll be time to flash.

Ok thanks for the conditions u see these rpms

Ulmer knows his stuff

I do have a new spring which came in ulmers kit. I've never felt the laziness your talking about. Actually I think your the first to mention it to be honest.
exactly my point.....weight alone(with stock spring) is why I want another spring to test with.

Allen knows his stuff, and surely has a good spring/weight combo.....and so you have no split second of laziness on bottom, likely a 125 to 130 finish or maybe more.

Dan

I'm testing big venom with td flash and quiet this weekend. See if it holds r's @ 6/1 with pocket machined.

exactly my point.....weight alone(with stock spring) is why I want another spring to test with.

Allen knows his stuff, and surely has a good spring/weight combo.....and so you have no split second of laziness on bottom, likely a 125 to 130 finish or maybe more.

Dan
No laziness that I can feel, low engagement and very smooth upshift

Here's my take on what you guy's have going on. Flatter profile weights give a sluggish feel down low. Product of the profile. You will not be able to completely get rid of it. Rpms dropping in longer runs is from too low total force on primary spring and helix angle. To achieve a good setup with flat profile weights you need stiffer spring, steeper helix and more secondary wrap. It will feel good down low to midrange but will suffer a little top mph even though rpms will now be stable. I personally prefer a more aggressive weight for trail riding. Better overall performance and quicker throttle response. Just my opinion and trying to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my take on what you guy's have going on. Flatter profile weights give a sluggish feel down low. Product of the profile. You will not be able to completely get rid of it. Rpms dropping in longer runs is from too low total force on primary spring and helix angle. To achieve a good setup with flat profile weights you need stiffer spring, steeper helix and more secondary wrap. It will feel good down low to midrange but will suffer a little top mph even though rpms will now be stable. I personally prefer a more aggressive weight for trail riding. Better overall performance and quicker throttle response. Just my opinion and trying to help you.

Thanks shagman.

Like u and dan said, the primary spring is the biggest culprit for the rpms dropping on a long pull in our setup.

Daltons are not very flat IMO

I wish someone would chime in with stock spring rates....

Stock is a gold/red/gold (90501-550a7-00)

I have spoke to a few people and we are guessing its around 50/103kg. But not certain.

Dalton has a few Im eyeing up at the moment based on this.

Black/Green is one of them.....57/129kg

Dalton springs SW.jpg

Back