• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

800 v-max

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I now this isn't a 4 stroke but I have always been intrigued by the old 4 cylinder max and might have a chance to get one. What are they worth? any known problems? must do mods? anyone put a mono skid in one? any help or insight would be welcome!!

The best version may have been the final production year in 1997. I have a 1992, and well, there were a fair share of updates and bulletins on this sled. I believe the 92-96 were all mechanical breaks and 1997 has the hydraulic. and the proaction rear skid.

I wanted one as a collectors sled, so to me the 92 was the one to have, but if you wanted one to really ride, I might suggest the 1997 800 cc version. I would also suggest riding one first, before you made it you daily rider. Lots of technology has crossed the table since those days...............................

Oh yeah, on what are they worth............ As much as the seller can get for it, and as little as you can buy one for...............

I got mine with 746 miles on it in 2003 for $1200. It was mint, and came with a cover and service manual. I think I got a screaming deal, but I wouldn't be eager to buy one for more than $1500 or so. Not a top dollar collectors sled in my opinion.

yeah, it won't be daily rider, more a fun sled to take up on the groomed trails now and again. something different.

I ride with a 1995 Vmax 4 , he swapped the suspension out for an updated one ...Other then the suspension swap and upgrading the clutches the sled had 14000 flawless kms on it, and the sled has no problem keeping up to the newer Hyper sleds ...

They were and still are a very fast machine. I had an 85 as well and really liked the sled but the brakes and the lights were very poor. The 87 would be a nice machine to get if you like red. My 85 was black and just loved the look of that machine.

Sorry only a decade away. Yes 1992 was the first year. They were black and pink and the engine size was a 750. I told my wife if she wanted to buy a new sled for me just to walk into a dealer and ask for the big black sled and the dealer would know what she was talking about. That NEVER happened. Had to wait for 1997 before I got the 1995 not 1985. Thx gsxr

That sled was a blast. I was sad when my wife made me get ride of it. I rode my 93 V-max4 until 2002. The gas milage is not that for a 750 cc 2-stroke.

You have to watch this video. Warning it is very large. http://www.vmax4.com/movies/92yscv.wmv

I had a 92 vmax 4.... what a sled! suspension was not great, but did she ever rip.. consistent power, good handling (for tech at the time), decent gas for the cc's, and sharp looking with the aluminumm skis. on flat trails she would lead the pack with ease. Here in the northeastern part of the states people are still choosing this sled for drag racing. My brother in law and I went in on 2 parts sleds about 6 years ago and he is still running his 92' as his daily driver. I sold mine in 2002 with 6,000 miles. His currently has 17,000! They are a great muscle sled and are fairly cheap for a 110+mph sled. The only draw back to them now is the discontinued parts. I know for a fact they are not producing anymore pistons and drive axles. I am sure the list is longer than I realize. He is actually considering parting out or selling everything. If you guys know any hardcore Vmax 4 guys, send me a note. Good luck on your purchase. Sorry about the length of this post... you guys got me excited about the old days. :Rockon:

My friend bought a 92 VMax 4. It was the quickest sled I have ever drove. Motor sounded awesome incredable throttle response. At first it was almost too much but after a few short days we were longing for more. He sold the sled because the top end sucked. Later we found out that the guy had it set up for 500 ft grass drags with gearing. Didn't know that much about setting up sleds back then. Sure wish we would have know that.
Bruce

www.vmax4.com/vbulletin

All you need to know, ask there

I have a 96 800. In groomed , flat trails it hauls the km´s like no other. No SRX can leave me behind and no 4-stroke either. On the bumps it´s ,,, uuummm. Terrible.

Gas mileage. Need to ask??

I think this sled as a classic muscle car. Really fast on straigh line and in wide trails. No rally car though. Awesome sounding machine. With quad pipes it rips trough the air like jet fighter. and with the Aerocharger turbo, it´s just insane. --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hni5CV8YwKE

Ike

Back