• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

8JP-17641-00 New Viper Belt

Just looking for informed discussion. Not going to sugarcoat anything. The FACT is the belt is shorter that is something we did NOT know before. It belongs being known now. I am only a little worried because C/C is something that surely cannot be changed in future without major mods AND this chassis is a known belt blower with ALL motor variations. Would we all rather not hear anything negative about the Viper? If so just let me know or take a poll.

So what you are saying is that the Chassis blows the belt not the clutching or misalignment of the clutches and the misalignment is cause by that TCL .....
It's not even out yet so how can there be any negative input ?

I'm all about hearing about the negative reports if there was any !
But its not here so there are none so far right or wrong ?

Banks93 said:
Wouldn't that just be great. The belt wears faster and it cost more.

Yamaha just became more like AC. Us paying $100/belt instead of $70 for the 8DN belt. They sell more belts and make more money off the belt.

The quality of Yamaha was suppose to rub off on AC not the other way.

Is it just me... or am i already paying MORE than $100 a belt...

And I do believe having a shorter belt will cause it to run slightly hotter because of there being less of the belt not touching the clutches which would mean less surface area for cooling? Am i wrong?

09nytro said:
So what you are saying is that the Chassis blows the belt not the clutching or misalignment of the clutches and the misalignment is cause by that TCL .....
It's not even out yet so how can there be any negative input ?

What I am saying is nobody knows exactly what is blowing the belts on the cats yet. The problem is not solved on all of them and maybe never will be up to the standards of 3-5000 mi easy on a belt many of us Yamaha guys are well used to. AC is still making updates 3 years later. Remains to be seen whether the updates work.

Yamaha has made many changes to the ProCross to make it a Viper. There is a VERY good possibility our belts will last as long as in the past. All I am saying is a shorter belt creates more heat and is stressed more than a long one. I do NOT know if it will matter. I do know that just because it has Yamaha clutches on it will not guarantee the belt life we had in the past will be what we have with the Viper. If the whole proven system was used I still couldnt guarantee anything but it would make me feel better and my stack of 8dn and Phazer belts would still have a use to me.

I think you need to pay a visit to arcticchat , those guys have it figured out and putting a secondary clutch and gears is not going to fix it , the belt is ballooning so maybe just maybe there belt is to long ever think of that , and not all of of them are havering belt problems it's mostly the 1100 T and the guys that give it more boost .....
Again the chassis doesn't blow the belt improper clutch set up will so just because yamaha put there engine in this chassis doesn't mean the belts are going to start blowing .....starting to sound like you are more mad about not being able to use the stack of 8dn's that you have , put them on E-Bay and sell them and get some new ones ;)!
Skidoo belts are short and they aren't having belt problems , the clutches almost touch , I think maybe you should stay out of the dealership so the don't put a load of #*$&@ in your head :jump:

Handy said:
Ok, I have decided to chime in. Shorter belt does not bend more than a long belt. The amount of bend is determined by the diameter of the clutches. The belt could be three feet longer and the amount of bending will still be the same. The bending is done by the size of the radius. Smaller radius more bend, larger radius less bend.

Well...sort of. With a shorter belt any given spot on the belt will go around the pulley more often than on a longer belt. It bends MORE OFTEN. So a shorter belt could become hotter than a longer belt. Would it be significant? I don't know.

OK, my chime in.....

Steve, I thought I mentioned to you the day that the Viper was in the shop at TA that the belt was shorter? Maybe? If not, I knew from when I drove them in Ishpeming for the 3 days helping Yamaha out.

The reason the Nytro belts weren't lasting is because of the way they had the secondary so tight (my opinion thru my own testing). I bought my new nytro and it ran thru the radar at 105-107 I believe in 2008. I made some clutching changes to the secondary alone, picked up better performance and more mph, 113-114 thru the radar. I'm on my 2nd belt on my Nytro now with almost 10,000 miles. Changed belt for this season.

Will see how these hold up, but I will be doing clutching to my Viper right away. I like 0 engine braking, fast take off with a lot of transfer.

mtotguy, The belt would only go around the pulley more often if your rpms were higher. sled speed and belt speed are tied together, no relation to center distance of driver and driven. Simple mechanics.

No Terry you didnt mention it was shorter. Nobody did. What rpm do we need to tune the Nytro clutching to?

09Nytro I spend alot of time on other sites reading,riding other sleds and seeing directly what happens to them by the hundreds and the Cat guys do not have it figured out yet unless they change their riding style! I personally witnessed a 1100 NA blow belt after belt when ridden hard and it is a pooch so it is not just turbos blowing the belts. You may be right and whipping could be a cause of issues in cats. I think so also after doing another belt comparison. I think you are right and I am wrong and worried over nothing.This comparo actually made me feel much more confident in our Vipers design. Check this out!

Viper bottom
8DN/Phazer middle
AC 084 belt top

Attachments

• Belts 004 (Medium).jpg
    Belts 004 (Medium).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 163
Get a skidoo belt in the mix , it will be the same size as the viper ;)!
I'm just saying I think you are worrying about something that you should be ...
But there is some guys over on arcticchat that got it fig out but most of the guys want cat to pay for everything because they don't want to

Come on :jump:
Doo has always been good on belts !
Would you stop worrying :jump: it's going to be fine ;)!
It's the best yamaha to date ;)!

Steve, I have my nytro pulling hard at 8,800. I put the primary back to stock, but the secondary is the one you need to do work on. I went with a silver spring set at 3-3, yes.... 60% with a 45/41 helix.

Sorry, I thought I told you as we took a close look at everything by the clutching.

Back