• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

8JP-17641-00 New Viper Belt

You were busy buying a sled. Never thought of it then. I wrote the info down on clutching. Thanks Terry!

cannondale27 said:
Really? That would be wonderful if we knew it to be true. Dont want belt flapping like seen on some cats. Will measure it vs a cat 084 belt and see.

Think of how far the ends of a long stick are moved before the stick breaks. Now move the ends of a short stick same amount and which breaks first?

How about harmonics?

I will tell you all this. The Yamaha clutches are not the answer to the broken belts on the cats. It is more than crappy clutches that caused there issues. Many of those guys spent big bucks on aftermarket clutches that are proven designs and still had issues. If our Vipers turn out to be good on belt it is because of something else. Hopefully it is because they changed the center to center and it works. I agree with previous post from 2lapsdown that that would be only reason they made motor so high in chassis and no I wouldnt want it any higher.

I am just saying there were compromises made to put the Nytro engine in the Viper. The loss of Pyramid design supports and this center to center are 2 that I am pretty sure could have been avoided if this sled were designed by Yamaha from the getgo. I bought one and still am convinced it was a great decision. Just want to be informed as much as possible and was told how many times since they announced the Viper it was a 8DN belt or very close. Cripes the Prototypes even said 8DN on them. Never thought to measure the Prototype belt. This is not even close to a 8DN. It had better work.
Dont use the cat 084 belt that is from the 800 and is over an inch longer than the 082 turbo belt,the 082 belt should be around 25.75-26.00 if i remember correctly,this is measured with a tape,but how does any cat belt from a 800 or turbo have any thing to do with this new 7000 motor,our ctc is listed at 11.5 what is your suppose to be/

Well Pete, that is what I would like to find out also. The specs on the 8JP, and even ctc on viper. I would love to see the belt around 47 inches long because you know what I would be doing.

mnmsnowbeast said:
cannondale27 said:
Really? That would be wonderful if we knew it to be true. Dont want belt flapping like seen on some cats. Will measure it vs a cat 084 belt and see.

Think of how far the ends of a long stick are moved before the stick breaks. Now move the ends of a short stick same amount and which breaks first?

How about harmonics?

I will tell you all this. The Yamaha clutches are not the answer to the broken belts on the cats. It is more than crappy clutches that caused there issues. Many of those guys spent big bucks on aftermarket clutches that are proven designs and still had issues. If our Vipers turn out to be good on belt it is because of something else. Hopefully it is because they changed the center to center and it works. I agree with previous post from 2lapsdown that that would be only reason they made motor so high in chassis and no I wouldnt want it any higher.

I am just saying there were compromises made to put the Nytro engine in the Viper. The loss of Pyramid design supports and this center to center are 2 that I am pretty sure could have been avoided if this sled were designed by Yamaha from the getgo. I bought one and still am convinced it was a great decision. Just want to be informed as much as possible and was told how many times since they announced the Viper it was a 8DN belt or very close. Cripes the Prototypes even said 8DN on them. Never thought to measure the Prototype belt. This is not even close to a 8DN. It had better work.
Dont use the cat 084 belt that is from the 800 and is over an inch longer than the 082 turbo belt,the 082 belt should be around 25.75-26.00 if i remember correctly,this is measured with a tape,but how does any cat belt from a 800 or turbo have any thing to do with this new 7000 motor,our ctc is listed at 11.5 what is your suppose to be/
ctc is 10.4 on the viper.

cannondale27 said:
No Terry you didnt mention it was shorter. Nobody did. What rpm do we need to tune the Nytro clutching to?

09Nytro I spend alot of time on other sites reading,riding other sleds and seeing directly what happens to them by the hundreds and the Cat guys do not have it figured out yet unless they change their riding style! I personally witnessed a 1100 NA blow belt after belt when ridden hard and it is a pooch so it is not just turbos blowing the belts. You may be right and whipping could be a cause of issues in cats. I think so also after doing another belt comparison. I think you are right and I am wrong and worried over nothing.This comparo actually made me feel much more confident in our Vipers design. Check this out!

Viper bottom
8DN/Phazer middle
AC 084 belt top
What comparison does a 47.5 inch cat 800 belt have to either of the shorter 4 -stroke yammie belts?

catchmeifucan said:
Well Pete, that is what I would like to find out also. The specs on the 8JP, and even ctc on viper. I would love to see the belt around 47 inches long because you know what I would be doing.
Hey Ross,ya i understand and hear ya,but i kinda had a feeling if it was only as long as our apex 8dn belts we were out of the game lol..hey i think my yamaha secondary i will be running on my turbo this year may help lots with temps,sense it will be hanging off one of franks m300 shafts and have torque stops on both side of motor.

mnmsnowbeast said:
cannondale27 said:
No Terry you didnt mention it was shorter. Nobody did. What rpm do we need to tune the Nytro clutching to?

09Nytro I spend alot of time on other sites reading,riding other sleds and seeing directly what happens to them by the hundreds and the Cat guys do not have it figured out yet unless they change their riding style! I personally witnessed a 1100 NA blow belt after belt when ridden hard and it is a pooch so it is not just turbos blowing the belts. You may be right and whipping could be a cause of issues in cats. I think so also after doing another belt comparison. I think you are right and I am wrong and worried over nothing.This comparo actually made me feel much more confident in our Vipers design. Check this out!

Viper bottom
8DN/Phazer middle
AC 084 belt top
What comparison does a 47.5 inch cat 800 belt have to either of the shorter 4 -stroke yammie belts?

Well honestly none but way back when these posts were made I was worried about the Viper having same belt issues you cat guys were having. The Yamaha C.T.C. has been same forever on ALL models and works. This new CTC was a unexpected surprise that caused me concern just because it is unproven. Nobody knows for certain that a certain length may cause issues due to the length. It made me feel better to see that at least the Vipers was different than the Cats because I do not want anything close to the cat CVT system.

You guys do not get the TCL and magic bearings, so ya should be fine. I am hoping that the boosted VIPERs work out well and that will show cat that there is something wrong in their design.

Hope we dont need much of your products here but sure is great knowing you are around. I ride with quite a few Cat guys and want them to have fun too. I hope you are right. Seems good so far.

44.17" is drive belt circumference, per the spec sheet I got with my LTX yesterday.

Back