• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Aftermarket oil tank?

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
Has anyone attempted to create an aftermarket antonymous oil tank for a sidewinder?

Had to upgrade my nytro with one after the stock tank broke. I figured someone would have created one by now
Ms

Has anyone attempted to create an aftermarket antonymous oil tank for a sidewinder?

Had to upgrade my nytro with one after the stock tank broke. I figured someone would have created one by now
Ms

I was looking into retrofiting a phazer tank awhile back as a kit and ran one on my sled for a season. Once I got the $30 gasket figured out i saw no need for several hundred dollar tank,

I was looking into retrofiting a phazer tank awhile back as a kit and ran one on my sled for a season. Once I got the $30 gasket figured out i saw no need for several hundred dollar tank,
Thanks Travis,
I called the guys at JT Customs to see if they may consider fabricating one, but they didnt feel there was a market for it.

Will have to get one of your gaskets.
MS

Has anyone thought maybe the oil tank actually acts as a heat sync for the chain case with the oil directly on the cover. Idk just thinking we might create another issue by doing that

I would much rather prefer a standalone oil tank vs tacking the oil tank with a silicone bead to the chaincase. Sure the heat helps keep the moisture out of the chaincase. But there is alot of heat on that side of the sled.
I have always noticed these sleds 'black' the oil more so than other yamah'as i have owned.
Not sure if that is due to oiling of the turbo bearing or if the oil gets baked being located beside an exhaust and being sumped in a heat sink...
MS

Has anyone thought maybe the oil tank actually acts as a heat sync for the chain case with the oil directly on the cover. Idk just thinking we might create another issue by doing that
IMO, if anything, I would say the oil tank heats up the chain case oil. The engine oil returning to the tank from the engine is still really hot even though it goes through the "oil cooler" just before it comes back. Try to put your hand on the oil tank after you've been riding for a while. Yes, the muffler is right in front of it too. IMO there's no way the chain case by itself generates lots of heat compared to the engine. I would favor a separate oil tank to keep heat out of chain case. I suppose under-hood space doesn't allow it now.

I have yet to put in a BOP tank gasket, it is getting done as soon as my gasket arrives, but is there anything inside the oil tank? Why do they make it so the tank can get taken apart? is it a matter of cost of casting? Could it just be welded shut? I am likely missing something here haha.

I have yet to put in a BOP tank gasket, it is getting done as soon as my gasket arrives, but is there anything inside the oil tank? Why do they make it so the tank can get taken apart? is it a matter of cost of casting? Could it just be welded shut? I am likely missing something here haha.
It's magnesium so not the most ideal metal to weld, but it could be done. If you grenade the chain case you are buying a new oil cap housing to go along with it if you weld them together.

It's magnesium so not the most ideal metal to weld, but it could be done. If you grenade the chain case you are buying a new oil cap housing to go along with it if you weld them together.
Not to mention what you'd do if you need to clean out the strainer screen in the oil tank and all the sludge from a certain oil company's oil that I first used when I got my ZR9000. Hint: the company uses allot of red in their decals. This was supposed to be their best 4 stroke oil and they still sell it that way today. Needless to say, I don't use that company's oil after this.

Attachments

• oil tank Klotz sludge3.1.jpg
    oil tank Klotz sludge3.1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 129
  • oil tank Klotz sludge4.jpg
    oil tank Klotz sludge4.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 128
Thanks, It didn't even cross my mind that it would be magnesium. Another good idea to shelf lol.

Not to mention what you'd do if you need to clean out the strainer screen in the oil tank and all the sludge from a certain oil company's oil that I first used when I got my ZR9000. Hint: the company uses allot of red in their decals. This was supposed to be their best 4 stroke oil and they still sell it that way today. Needless to say, I don't use that company's oil after this.
Wow - that is a lot of sludge. My tank was off 2 seasons ago and was super cleaned. When i had it off i was surprised there was a very fine sediment layer after 2 seasons and about 6500km. That is crazy.
MS

Back