• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Air box vibration reverberation modification

ATV PRO #11

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Phazer XTX
What ever you call it it’s annoying!!

So having this intermittent miss again I decided to make sure I wasn’t getting snow in anywhere as the entire air box moved around and vibrates so much I thought maybe the carb clamps were loose. Ride today I could actually see it vibrating bad while at speed.
So taking good look at it I decided to do something to tighten up.
Main air box on the bottom where it rubs against paint in frame. I decided to pull those rubber pads and lift up on front raising up 1/4”.
So I pulled the buttons.
Found some spacers I could use.
Some of the stock bushings off my old round bars from skis.
Pounded it oval.
Slide into the hole under the rubber pad.
Reinstalled pad.
Worked great.
Once I reinstalled the air box the little rubber strap that supposed to hold it tight actuall has some tension on it now.

Didn’t stop there. The actual hood I spaced away as well. Took an old rubber kill switch.
Shaved it down to incerpt into the small square hole at bottom of hood. Leaving about 1/2 to rest against frame. Now that rubber strap holding hood on has more tension on it as well.
With everything back together it’s alot tighter. Not as tight as I’d like. Will see how it holds up on a ride tomorrow.
I brake cleaned all the oil staining, took carb boots off from inside air box and cleaned. Blocked off oil tank inlet and rerouted the actual tank hose down engine bay. (Yet to install a filter in there and I know if I roll to that side it’s going to make a mess. But that oil build up in air box is a pain to clean all the time.
I can see why that wiring breaks and or those hoses pop off at the top of the air box. It moves around way to much imo.
Time will tell if it’s going to hold up after a few rides.

Attachments

• 09C6D0EC-BB06-4F3C-8339-CD275ABC997F.jpeg
    09C6D0EC-BB06-4F3C-8339-CD275ABC997F.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 93
  • FBBC8A07-01B7-46DC-8406-2B30EE995041.jpeg
    FBBC8A07-01B7-46DC-8406-2B30EE995041.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 36684971-17F9-42C2-ABF4-CCAA6C680A87.jpeg
    36684971-17F9-42C2-ABF4-CCAA6C680A87.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 3209E26B-A47A-4435-91F4-027EFE1F5090.jpeg
    3209E26B-A47A-4435-91F4-027EFE1F5090.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 92

What this thing (and the Venture Lite/MP) would have needed was an intake resonator, just like they do on cars. That's one of the noises that probably gave me tinnitus.

What this thing (and the Venture Lite/MP) would have needed was an intake resonator, just like they do on cars. That's one of the noises that probably gave me tinnitus.

It wouldn’t surprise me. For the longest time that sound is so annoying. Went for a couple hundred klicks today and it definitely helped.
I’m almost thinking of making/installing a latch. The kind on the old pop up campers kinda thing. Kept a close eye on it today today.
I’m curious if the engine is solid with the frame? It does seem to vibrate a little bit and worried if I tighten up that air box to much the next weak link will the the throttle body boots.

On mine it was the plastic “Hood” that made the most noise vibrating against the Airbox lid. I ran a weather striping down both sides between the two.

On mine it was the plastic “Hood” that made the most noise vibrating against the Airbox lid. I ran a weather striping down both sides between the two.
I did too. Wore away quick and the oil that gets up there made a mess of the weather stripping. I’ve spaced my hood away 1/2”. Helped big time. I’ll post a pic. Heading out soon for a ride.

Back