• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

All day Viper Clutching..

I never weighed them over all or each screw that was added to the stockers... My sleds are loaded and I will be out of town for at least a week and wont be able to get you the info. I would have to pull a weight and then set them on my gram scale to tell...you could try calling Excell... he might be able to assist you.

I guess I don't even need to know what weight yours are, just need to know whether or not what I add to his makes them heavier, it doesn't start hitting the rev limiter bad until you're right hard into the throttle and speeds above like 30-40 mph. Will see if he wants me to try anything and if so I'll keep track of what I do.

I'm working on tuning in my Heavy Hitters from Thunder Products. I found it interesting they have the same profile as the stock 8BU-10 weights in my MTX. If I roll into the throttle it will stay off the rev limiter, but if I going into a dip and pin it out, she bangs the rev limiter....so I'm working on getting weight in the right places :)

20150206_205247_zpsukf5o05l.jpg

Still running the factory G-G-G primary spring, and I love how the HH'ers don't have the engagement hump. Much more fluid and seamless!

I'm also running the Gates Carbon belt (40C4340) in the Nytro length. It runs the same RPM as the 8DN belt did...

Here's a setup that i have run but I haven't had time to refine yet. same as you it would hit limiter on launch if you pin it.
8DN belt
58.8g Heavy hitters
7/16" steel bolt and thick steel washer in tip
7/16" steel bolt in mid
1/4" and 3/4" set screw in heel
P-P-P spring with 2-1mm shims
46/40 helix at 6-1 with pink spring.

I think they weighed around 72-74g. don't remember exact weight. Nice engagement 2800-2900 rpm.

I guess I don't even need to know what weight yours are, just need to know whether or not what I add to his makes them heavier, it doesn't start hitting the rev limiter bad until you're right hard into the throttle and speeds above like 30-40 mph. Will see if he wants me to try anything and if so I'll keep track of what I do.

Keep me posted. U could weight them as is and then remive the middle and tip and then add a little more to the middle and a little more to tip but use screws and nuts.

Turbo - Let me know your setup as I have a couple setups with the HH's and weren't too bad. Plus was using the stock 43° helix. With the Thunder Products black primary spring, I was at.....
48.2 gram Heavy Hitter weights with ¼ allen buried, ¾ allen in behind it in the heel.
3/8 aluminum with thick washer in middle.
3/8 aluminum with thick washer in tip.
Engagement was 3,800-3,900 (which is just a tad high)
Secondary setup
Silver Yamaha spring set at 6-2 (tried green spring (soft) but for backshift the silver worked better)
Stock helix 43 straight

This would easlily do 91 in very wet conditions and was with the carbon fiber belt.

Another setup with the stock primary spring would be.....
1/4 inch allen screw in the heel
3/8 aluminum in the center and 7/16 steel with 2 thin washers in the tip.
Stock 43° straight helix and pink secondary spring.
Carbon Fiber belt

NOS,

Most current setup:

G-G-G primary spring
48g base weight heavy hitters (per Lonn at TP)
3/4" set screw in the heel
7/16" steel in the mid hole
3/8" steel in the tip

37* helix (stock 162 track)
Pink secondary spring (not sure of the wrap #)
Carbon or 8DN belt (same RPM)

I ran out of time to tune more this weekend. I think I'm gonna bury a 1/4" set screw under the 3/4" set screw in the heel. It really seems to like weight there! I'm probably gonna add 2-4 more grams in the mid. Wide open its perfect, pulling 8800 RPM.

I bought the black primary spring from TP without know the rates of it. I don't have any other Yami clutch tuning stuff so I figured WTH. The wire diameter is .012" smaller than my stock spring above, but its 1.250" longer 4.750" vs 3.5". I figured that much more compression would up my engagement so I never tried it. It was already engaging about 3900-4000 RPM. What has been your experience with the black TP spring?

That looks like clutching to me. lol :dunno::ot:

You're right it is clutching, but it is not questions and responses to my testing. We are not talking about turbo clutching or other possibilities in turbo clutching only what we have tested. Is there something that I am missing here or are you just being a smart azz?

Right on brother :)

And everyone else... you are welcome. If I can get more time in a few weeks I will post more info. I am going to try and get NosPro and Cannondale over maybe even Shagman if he can make it for a test and tune session to experience what they have been doing.....if anyone else is in my area, you are all welcome to join.

Tom, If there is not enough snow for the Monroe Co TY ride, we should get a bunch of Vipers together up by you on the 21st to test.

Back