• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Am I missing something? took the new sidewinder for a test drive

Test drive a sled and have this much of an opinion. Wow.
Reverse and key postition can be an issue i guesse but this is my second pro cross Yamaha and I've always used gloves. Reverse is far better then the apex , push a button not a stupid lever that when it slips out it sounds like the chain case is flying apart.

The heated seat has two settings and on low I never find it to hot.

Handling vs apex is not comparible. The sw and viper take bumps and hold corners so much better then a pushy apex.

Love mine with my only gripes being the reverse button (need to take off glove) and the key position is a little tight. But in my opinion, this chassis is light years ahead of the Apex and I've owned several. It rides and handles so much crisper. Cat balanced this chassis so well that it masks its weight very well. But it is lighter than the Apex. And with about 50 HP more, she needs traction.

I own an RTX 129. Love it. Took the second day on my second trip to get adjustments right. You CAN ride moguls flat out with ease..awesome shocks....period. Once adjusted this sled rides great in all conditions. I had the opportunity to ride both as my bud rode my Apex this week on arguably the best trails on the planet. We switched a lot. Still love my Apex. It's just different. Smoother, lighter steering with the power steering, but boy it felt like I sat in a cavern coming off the sidewinder. Felt like I had to work much more also. We hit the lake and no contest. But loved riding the Apex too.It's kinda of like having two kids, lovem both but in a different way as they are unique

And you need to do this
studs.JPG

Not to Bash!! But my well tuned SW kicks the Crap out of all 7 of my past Apex's. YES! The Sidewinder has to be massaged a bit but once you get them to your liking there is no contest.
I have spent a ton of time, money and miles on my past Apex's to get them to my liking. Such as Suspension, Shock's, Clutching, Widening kits, Ski's, Tall seat Kits, Bar Risers, Studs, Tracks, Handlebar Heaters, and the List goes on.
Other than Ski's, Studs, Clutch shims and some suspension adjustments my SW LTX LE is now better in every way over all my past Apex's.

Yes the Key Switch is a tad annoying and the clutch rattles a bit and I do miss the sweet 4 cylinder sound, but after riding my Winder for 2200 miles and getting it dialed in there is no other sled I'd rather be on for the type of riding I do.

My 2 cents.

Apex's owned

2006 Apex RTX
2oo7 Apex GT
2008 Apex RTX
2010 Apex LTX
2011 Apex GT
2013 Apex XTX
2015 Apex XTX.

And now!!!!

2017 SideWinder LTX LE. Best ride ever.

As of right now, there is NO way i could out handle my '07 Apex, BUT i know i'm a couple adjustments & some seat time away from putting my old Ape out to pasture. I haven't felt a bump yet! Key switch, no drain on chain case, a couple small recalls & of course the WORST ski's ever put on a sled since the Ski-Daddler, BUT that's it.....that's success to me...OH and the scariest motor EVER installed on snow....did i mention i haven't felt a bump yet...

Here's one more reason... I can wear thin gloves to get to the key and reverse button because, THE HEATED HANDLEBARS ACTUALLY WORK!

At first I was taking my glove off but after a day of getting use to the reverse button I have no problem operating it with my usual riding gloves. All heaters work very well actually even if the settings are not as incremental as the Apex which by the way needed at $150 aftermarket upgrade to work at all. Heated seat is very nice but only needed in very cold weather. Glad I have it but could do without.

I have owned 2 power steering Apex's before my ltx-le. Enjoyed all 30,00 km + on them. If I had the sidewinder instead I am sure I would have rode more. The Apex's were the best available Yamaha at the time, but the Sidewinder brings it to another level. Lots of adjustability in suspension, clutching, studding etc. As in any new model year regardless if it is a ATV, sled, boat, truck or BBQ there are new things to learn or adjust. All you need is the patience and information to make the sled your own. TY forums help with the information. But in my case I have a great dealer who listens to their clients and works with you to set up the machine so you are happy with the $20,000 you just left him.

forgot to mention the Yamaha on site tech guy said you should take all sidewinders into the dealer for the first chain case oil change. I said how come? I usually do all my own maintenance. He said the procedure is complicated and if you dont use a special tool and do it in the correct order, you will damage the turbo charger. He said ask your dealer if you can watch the service tech do the procedure, so you can learn how to do it. Sorry but I dont know of any dealer that will let customers into the service bay area to watch them do service.

forgot to mention the Yamaha on site tech guy said you should take all sidewinders into the dealer for the first chain case oil change. I said how come? I usually do all my own maintenance. He said the procedure is complicated and if you dont use a special tool and do it in the correct order, you will damage the turbo charger. He said ask your dealer if you can watch the service tech do the procedure, so you can learn how to do it. Sorry but I dont know of any dealer that will let customers into the service bay area to watch them do service.

maybe someone will make a video!

Back