• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anniversary LTX vs XTX

dmaxx

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper RTX, 2012 Apex XTX, 2010 Vector LTX, 2000 AC Z-370..fast
Other than the exhaust and front bushing improvements, how would you rate these for overall performance and ride quality? Not for slow trail cruising, but hard, aggressive riding. I would think the Ohlins improved the ride quality over previous mono skids.

The LTX mono will smooth out studders better but XTX is made for banging trails if that is what you want to do. XTX better in deep snow than LTX & you can't ingnore the XTX eps either. I didn't think the LTX ohlins were better than the GYTR shocks up front. I would go for the XTX just an all around better sled.

The EPS Apex's really are truely an engineering marvel! As for your suspension question I agree with whitedust1. The mono shock is much more supple ride versus the xtx. When running groomed trails with small studders the mono handles them very well. The xtx skid will not be as supple on small studders. When trails get rough the xtx skid will handle that much better than the mono shock. Personally I'm not a big fan of torsion spring yamaha skids. I really like ride quality of mono shock which is why I put one in my Nytro. We like to ride fast and aggressive on groomed trails...I'm not a ditch banger.

Already bought an XTX and now have a line on the Anniversary LTX which I always liked. May get it for the wife. I had the Ohlins rear on my Attak and it handled all the stutters and moguls for our hard riding. EPS will be nice though.

The EPS Apex's really are truely an engineering marvel! As for your suspension question I agree with whitedust1. The mono shock is much more supple ride versus the xtx. When running groomed trails with small studders the mono handles them very well. The xtx skid will not be as supple on small studders. When trails get rough the xtx skid will handle that much better than the mono shock. Personally I'm not a big fan of torsion spring yamaha skids. I really like ride quality of mono shock which is why I put one in my Nytro. We like to ride fast and aggressive on groomed trails...I'm not a ditch banger.
Interesting you put a mono in a Nytro is there a mono 144 for an Apex XTX other than the SS? I was about to have my CK shocks rebuilt by Pat's but I really miss my LTX GT EC mono 136 but the 144 tipped is soooo much better in deep snow. I have to ride powder lakes & fields to get to the groomed trails. I demoed the xtx with SS and it was a lumber wagon much more harsh than my xtx CK or 136 GT LTX. I going to do something very soon to my CK just don't know what to do?

Already bought an XTX and now have a line on the Anniversary LTX which I always liked. May get it for the wife. I had the Ohlins rear on my Attak and it handled all the stutters and moguls for our hard riding. EPS will be nice though.
Don't pay more for the ohlins up front although 2008s listed for $1000 more than 2007s Attak GT and same sled other than white graphics and ohlins up front. I opted at the time for a non current black 2007 Attak GT & no ride difference to 2008s with ohlins. The 144 is much better in deep snow and eps is great. To me the best of all words would have been XTX eps with 144 tipped EC ohlin mono on the rear.....that would have been a sweet sled. You can bang the XTX in big stuff but very unforgiving in studders. If you like the mono stay with it as I have had both and miss the mono.

Don't pay more for the ohlins up front although 2008s listed for $1000 more than 2007s Attak GT and same sled other than white graphics and ohlins up front. I opted at the time for a non current black 2007 Attak GT & no ride difference to 2008s with ohlins. The 144 is much better in deep snow and eps is great. To me the best of all words would have been XTX eps with 144 tipped EC ohlin mono on the rear.....that would have been a sweet sled. You can bang the XTX in big stuff but very unforgiving in studders. If you like the mono stay with it as I have had both and miss the mono.

Had floats up front on the Attak and they worked well in all conditions. Going to try them on the XTX

Interesting you put a mono in a Nytro is there a mono 144 for an Apex XTX other than the SS? I was about to have my CK shocks rebuilt by Pat's but I really miss my LTX GT EC mono 136 but the 144 tipped is soooo much better in deep snow. I have to ride powder lakes & fields to get to the groomed trails. I demoed the xtx with SS and it was a lumber wagon much more harsh than my xtx CK or 136 GT LTX. I going to do something very soon to my CK just don't know what to do?

You can stretch a mono skid to 144 however you have to run track quite loose. The mono, when a 144 increases track tension as it compresses due to the geometry. This is likely why Yamaha never made a 144 xtx mono. you could do a 136 mono with a 4" set back in a 144 track. This also gives you a more gradual track approach angle which is better for deep snow.

I've got some guys putting softer torsion springs in the xtx apex to soften them up. Stock rate on apex xtx is 1500 Nmm. Nytro xtx are 1200. I would have a set of 1200 here if interested.

Other than the exhaust and front bushing improvements, how would you rate these for overall performance and ride quality? Not for slow trail cruising, but hard, aggressive riding. I would think the Ohlins improved the ride quality over previous mono skids.
LTX is not even on the same trail as a XTX. Mono rides like a wagon compared to a XTX. XTX is the best all around trail sled Yamaha makes, with the tipped up rails and the CK skid. Don't let the Ohlins fool you, overpriced and overrated,

Rated on a scale of 1-10 10 being the best XTX is a 10
LTX is a 6

You can stretch a mono skid to 144 however you have to run track quite loose. The mono, when a 144 increases track tension as it compresses due to the geometry. This is likely why Yamaha never made a 144 xtx mono. you could do a 136 mono with a 4" set back in a 144 track. This also gives you a more gradual track approach angle which is better for deep snow.

I've got some guys putting softer torsion springs in the xtx apex to soften them up. Stock rate on apex xtx is 1500 Nmm. Nytro xtx are 1200. I would have a set of 1200 here if interested.[/QUO

I talked to Pat's and they do standard shock rebuild to original shock spec. Maybe I should soften up the springs..... What I object to is the kick of the rear skid if I could slow rebound I think I would like the skid a lot more.

I have a 40th LTX and had shocks revalved an put a 1,5 track. the ride is awesome and it will put this sled up against an XTX any day of the week. lake or trail. the only thing i wish i had is the EPS.

I have a 40th LTX and had shocks revalved an put a 1,5 track. the ride is awesome and it will put this sled up against an XTX any day of the week. lake or trail. the only thing i wish i had is the EPS.
challenge accepted!!

challenge accepted!!!

Don't let the wife on that EPS equipped sled, you won't get it back. My wife thought I was joking when I said it had power steering. At the first stop, she said, "this thing does drive like it has power steering" I pointed out the EPS sticker on the hood and she just giggled and drove off. I was left on the GT till I sold it. Better ride or not, EPS trumped all other features for comfort/effort. (in her eyes, I pretty much agree)

Back