• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another starter bites the dust.

Isthatahemi said:
The internals of the starter can be lined up, peened in place and epoxied. Basically whats happening is the armature is moving out of relation to the brushes. Then torque and loctite the through bolts. The starter is generally not wrecked, just "scrambled". And the weak cranking that precedes the failure is a sign that it''s going for sure!

So are you saying the old parts can be lined back up and put back together or that the good ones from the RX1 starter can be put in and made to work?

The dealer tried putting a new brush kit in the starter because those are available. After that they said "they could get the starter to spin again, but it would not spin fast enough to engage the clutch on the starter and through the bendix gear out to engage the flywheel and turn the motor over." How much of this is accurate I don't know. Anyhow I'm still screwed for riding this weekend when we have the best snow of the season, in fact the last few seasons. And still burned up my vacation time for nothing too. Hopefully I can find some one that can repair this starter this week so I can ride this coming weekend. Or I might have to go out to Yamaha Corporate and start knocking some heads around until they pull one out of those new ones that they are making now that are going to sit on showroom floors till fall. ;):D

Old parts should be fine. If they can't fix it, any good starter or alternator rebuild shop could easily. If they where getting it to spin, but not enough, that just says that the parts not being indexed correctly.

OK guys the starter rebuilding place was able to get the starter indexed properly and got it to spin full speed again. Unfortunately during this time the dealer didn't believe that the starter was repairable and took the crankcase apart to check the one way starter clutch (which ended up being just fine). So now they say that they need a crank case gasket (which is on back order till March also) before they can put it back together. So everything is now working fine, but I need a gasket. I told them that I want it put together this weekend with the old gasket if they can't get a new one. Just Yamabond it up and if it leaks I carry some oil with me and make sure it stays full. This is a bunch of crap not having any parts in stock (even simple gaskets) for this sled so they can fix them and get them back out on the trail.

I want to ride, #$%&* it !!!

Isthatahemi do you know if there are any marks or anything to show if starter is indexed properly?

Motoman or anyone can it be confirmed that sticking your finger in the hole starter goes into and turning the gear with finger gear should only turn one way?

The dealer said that they "couldn't get in there to do that to test it", and that's why they pulled it apart. I didn't try it myself so I can't tell you if it's possible. It though that isthatahemi said you could earlier. Maybe he has smaller hands than my dealer?

It's on the bottom of the motor towards the back. It's a pain in the butt either way. The manual says to pull the motor, but you can get it out without pulling the motor but it's not fun and still requires a lot of time.

Yep exactly, if the starter does not spin when you jump the solenoid you have the same problem as I did. The two bolts came out that hold the starter together and all the internal of the starter have gotten out of alignment. There is also a known issue with the relays when they get cold too. But most likely it's the starter if it doesn't spin when you jump the solenoid.

Mine went out yesterday halfway between Seney and Paradise. Any up date on the availablity of the starters? Mine is just clicking to. 2300 miles

Nope still March 20th is the earliest date I can get one. If you know someone that is good with starters you can get them to rebuild it or reindex it, and it will work. It is not easy or quick to do, by any means though.

my starter sometimes turns over really slowly then sometimes it will just spin but not engage. but lately it has been turning over really fast like a supercharged battery im not even goign to worry about ti untill spring and im taking it to the dealer to have them do everyting that needs to make it trail worthy again yamahas cost.

the dealer said that if im going to keep this sled i should put an extended warrantee on it.

he said if i wanted to have the starter fixed then he would pay the billa dn it would be warentee.

sick of yamaha....and this sled.

so much for riding on spring break

Back