• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another starter bites the dust.

Just to let you guys know the rebuilt starter hasn't failed yet (even though my suspension did). So no problem with the reindexed starter. So still the whole problem stems from Yamaha not putting any loctite on the bolts that hold the starter together.

Motoman765 said:
Just to let you guys know the rebuilt starter hasn't failed yet (even though my suspension did). So no problem with the reindexed starter. So still the whole problem stems from Yamaha not putting any loctite on the bolts that hold the starter together.

As well the starter should have tabs / keys or notches to keep it indexed. Through bolts should only be to keep the housing together....Silly design.

so i can take a starter out with out taking the front clip off? just from the belly pan?

thanks, mine just started to act odd... it was just spinning without egaging... started it with a rope went home and now its working again.

before it acted up the starter just did not sound 100% had a bit of a whine to it.

holy thread bump batman! I did one without takin the front end off, took a few creative moves to get the starter in and out of there.

Well it's the new year and the starter on my 07 MTX is crapping out after 5 years and 7,500 miles. I removed the starter last year and loctited the bolts and checked index and the internals were in good shape. Tore starter out and the outer shell magnetic lining is coming apart causing slow turn over about 210 rpms. I did notice it starting to roll over slower this year but it went from 280 rpm right too 210 rpm when it crapped out.

I will start a new starter removal thread on a 20-30 minute quick starter removal depending on your speed. This is without pulling front frame off at all. From pulling side covers to starter on the bench. Of course I figured out what the hang up was after getting mine out just an 1/8" of material in the way more to come. I probably could get a starter out in 15 minutes with this already modified.

Attachments

• Phazer Starter 010.jpg
    Phazer Starter 010.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Phazer Starter 011.jpg
    Phazer Starter 011.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Phazer Starter 015.jpg
    Phazer Starter 015.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Phazer Starter 016.jpg
    Phazer Starter 016.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Phazer Starter 018.jpg
    Phazer Starter 018.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 81
Update on starter issue, picked up used starter from 07 with 800 miles with blown motor. Of course bolts were not real tight so loctite was the cure there. Install from modification took only 10 minutes to connect cables and bolted in with no removal of front frame assembly. I will create a quick how to on new thread with video.

Shame that happened to shell.From looks of the brushes there was alot of life left in starter.I also took notice of my cranking rpm.Its 280 just like you have.Good info!

That 280 rpms while starting sled is also with a 2lbs Shorai Lithium Battery I bought last year. The CCA on the Shorai Battery are equal to the stock Yuasa Battery which weighs 10lbs. That is an 8lbs savings but they are expensive like $160.00. They say a 8-10 year life span will see. Some guys don't use them in the super cold climates due to slow turn over on cold start. No problem here in the Midwest just had to wake it up a few times when it is zero for 5 minutes with key in on position.

Back