• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

apex cold start

Paulson14

hey guys i have a 06 apex er with only 3300 miles on it and i went to start it today about -10-15 degress celcius and it didnt want to start but it does start on the 3rd try but is running quite rough with a little bit of backfire. No fire out the exhaust or anything the sled is stock.
just wondering what would cause this old fuel? i was thinking what condioner should i put in or u think there could be water in my fuel just took it out of storage. Dont know if the previous owner put any fuel conditioner in before u stored it i purchased it in sept.

To be on the safe side, I'd drain the tank and put in fresh fuel. You could even add some Sea Foam to the tank to clean up the fuel lines, fuel filter, injectors, etc.

Super Sled said:
To be on the safe side, I'd drain the tank and put in fresh fuel. You could even add some Sea Foam to the tank to clean up the fuel lines, fuel filter, injectors, etc.

x2

thanks guys i will try the seafoam tommrow i have half a tank of gas in it right now what size does seafoam come in and how much would i put in. I m a nub when it comes to a yamaha 4 stroke been driving cats up on till now.

Seafoam is great stuff. Probably will work for you.

You will likely have to run the sled some, [I'd run it until overheat light comes on] and then let the sled sit a few hours for the stuff to work before firing it up again.

I did this to a buddy's Merc outboard 2 weekends ago and it cleared up.

I would also change the plugs. They are afterall six years old.

You need to be careful not to start and shut off quickly with these sleds as the plugs will likely foul and they are usually toast after they foul.

Anytime you start the sled cold, make sure it runs 10 minutes to get off the enrich mode and gets nice and warm. Also keeps condensation out of exhaust and engine.

Good luck. Let us know if it works.

I would take the old fuel out put in new fuel with seafoam then let it run until hot. Should be ok.Trying to condition bad gas is not a good idea. IMO Run old gas in old truck or car to use up.

If your backfireing persists after you get fresh gas through your sled you may have to change your spark plugs as old gas kills spark plugs.

i drained the tank put in fresh gas 91 octane and a can of seafoam let it sit over nite started it up and its chugging and backfiring sounds like its running on two so ya i guess i have to change my plugs. And now how do i do that.

:o|

its very weird because the person who owned it before me did regular maintence every season and looked after it but then again he barely drop it 2700 miles since 06

stay away from the throttle till the sled is completly warmed up. even after the dummy light goes out let it idle for another 2 or 3 mins untill the tunnel is hot and snow is melted off. fouled plugs once and wasnt too pleased

Yeah, when the red dummy light is on the touching the throttle can result in an instant plug fouling. I of course speak from the experience of a ruined trip due to my lack of patients to get going and backed the sled off the trailer, or should I say attempted to back the sled off the trailer while the red light was still on. It was a cold morning on Tug Hill and it quit and would not start. I ended up having to ride "The Backup" which was my wife's 07 F8 LXR, now how dumb did I look wearing my 40th Anniversary yamaha suit, riding a Cat, how embarrassing, my friends still pick on me to this day about that. So its not worth the risk to try and go before the sled is ready, be patient and you will have no issues.

always hold the key to the start position about 5 seconds after it starts, so it doesn't die. And don't touch the throttle until the light is off. Works every time.

In very cold weather, I have noticed a major improvement in cold starting using Amsoil 0W40 vs Yamalube. With yamalube, my sled would roll over hard and shake, cank for several minutes. Using the Amsoil syntetic, it would start easier and not sound like it was about to come apart. I have not tried the Yami synthetic. Once I switched over, I stuck with it.

Back