• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Exaust gaskets at Mid Pipe Install

viper7mi

Expert
20161228_200927.jpg
I bought new gaskets for inside of the exhaust. They have a metal edge on one side. I'm thinking the metal edge goes out?

Last edited:

Funny this question came up. I just installed mine yesterday and was wondering the same thing. Yes I ended up installing them metal strip out. Especially since they seemed VERY reluctant to be installed the other way!

I would have guessed the ring went in 1st. I didn't see a ring like that when I had my white knuckle exhaust off. I was going to try and take mine out, so I started to pry around the outside of them. I'd think they used oem, but maybe not. I decided not to, so I have no idea what the other end looks like. But I didn't see a ring around the inside either.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I would suspect they are made this way to improve your chances of a successful intallation of the mid pipes into the muffler, as any slight mis-aligment and the mesh gets damaged and start to roll up. To help with installing them, I have taken a round steel mandrel in a vise, placed the segmented muffler ends over it and worked the muffler around to open up the segmented ends of the muffler pipe that get compressed smaller with the band clamps, as they do not spring back into place when removed.
The gaskets then just drop into place with ease and makes for an easier install for the mid pipes. I also apply grease on the inside of gasket and on mid pipes to ease the install.
These gaskets are spendy, so after wrecking one or two, this method saved much cussing and misery for me.
Cheers

That's kind of what I did. Except I used a pipe expander to them. Then I used a piece of aluminum flashing as shoe horns to guide them past the beginning of the gasket because mine kept catching one Edge. Once it got past that I just pulled the aluminum out and installed the rest of the way.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ring in first and lube up with some WD40 or old oil first. Don't lock Y pipes in to flex pipes before fitting the muffler and Y pipes together to make life easier. It takes some swearing and gentle wiggling to fit together properly.

Back