• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

apex keeps stalling

so anyone clean there tps to see if it helps. watched the video and seems pritty easy. Mine trys to stall on start up some times and needs a little throttle also idles all over the place. Will try cleaning tps.

TPS

black knight said:
so anyone clean there tps to see if it helps. watched the video and seems pritty easy. Mine trys to stall on start up some times and needs a little throttle also idles all over the place. Will try cleaning tps.
Pat's yamaha replaced mine a few weeks ago. I will say it does not stall as frequently, but the situation still persists. Good luck!

Re: tps

APEXMAN said:
Well just got back from a major ride about 1000 miles in 1 week sled only stalled 6 times when u pull up to a stop sign it idles down perfect to 1500 then the next time u pull up to the stop sign it idles down to 1000 maybe 900 so i often just keep burping the throttle be sides that the sled just rocks i love it ..
thxs
Steve

Steve...check my posts...I asked the same thing a couple years back...many hits, no real answer...

Just looked it up to save you time...over 100 replies and almost 13000 views...and yes, sled is awesome otherwise! Mine didn't stall often.
http://ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=78 ... sc&start=0

vice108 said:
I replaced my TPS when I had similar symptoms and it cured my problems.

Well I spoke too soon about my TPS replacement fixing my problem. My variable idle was back full force on my last trip. The difference this time was that a few times I would stop and the idle would be stuck at 3K instead of just always idling too low. Very odd. Based on that I think the problem must be with the IAC (idle air control) valve that sits on top of the FI system. After all - it is the IAC that makes the idle go up and down based on temp. I marked all the hoses carefully and then took mine apart yesterday. I cleaned every nook and cranny with brake cleaner and then tested the thermostat part in hot water and then the freezer to make sure its moving properly. I put it all back together and my idle was rock solid. The idle screw seemed to actually do something now where as in the past it seemed like I could turn it and turn it without much effect. I ran it on the stand for a while revving, accelerating braking, etc and the idle would always return to where I set it. I'm cautiously optimistic that it's fixed. We shall see.

Thanks for posting some results. Too many of these
problems get resolved and we never learn how.

Roadrider said:

I'll give a final verdict when I put some miles on. Unfortunately - with this weather it looks like we might be done here.

Roadrider said:

Your dead on.
Being I'm having my first non start expierence on my Attak since new 5 years ago I've been reading searching and it's fustrating not to know how they made out..

tps

Well just thought id keep u all posted with my findings i found a new 2011 apex se so traded my stalling not idiling 2006 apex in on a new one always wanted power steering anyway just a good excuse i guess
Steve

That's what I would have done too..Ha

vice108 can you discribe wherethe iac is lokated and is it hard to get at and take appart to cleen
Is it the black plastic thing with the rubber hoses coming out of it with some oil around it?

thanks

black knight said:
vice108 can you discribe wherethe iac is lokated and is it hard to get at and take appart to cleen
Is it the black plastic thing with the rubber hoses coming out of it with some oil around it?

thanks

The black plastic thing connects to the IAC. The IAC is held down by 3 bolts as I recall. Then there are 4 hoses connected to the underside. they need to be labeled before unhooking them as each one goes to a different intake.

Attachments

• 4302638.jpg
    4302638.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 230
thanks are there any small parts in there that will fly out i should watch for when i get it out. and then again when i take the iac appart

thanks again

my 06 had a problem with the butterflies hanging up. the factory set idle on the rack was too low and the butterflies would occasionally hang up at a high idle. many searches and never found another with the problem, but find it hard to believe mine is the only one. all I did was turn the rack idle up like 1 1/2 turns and the bypass down to compensate. 5k mi since and has been flawless.
when I first got it, was really something trying to get used to the sled, it was poor conditions and every hole I wanted to creep through, the throttle would stick. ye ha

black knight said:
thanks are there any small parts in there that will fly out i should watch for when i get it out. and then again when i take the iac appart

thanks again

No. I took the bottom plate off which just reveals some aluminum channels inside that I sprayed out with brake cleaner. I also removed the two ends. One end is a small black cap the other end it metal. Inside there is a plunger of sorts that can be removed and the area cleaned. The plunger is moved in and out by temperature. I did NOT touch the four adjustment screws on the top of the unit as these are synchronised by the dealer. I think they can be cleaned just as well from the under-side. The only problem I had was getting the screws out when taking the unit apart. They were really stuck. Even with PB blaster and a torch I couldn't move them. I ended up having to grip them with vise-grips.

iac valve cleaning

If you plan on cleaning the iac be carefull on what you take off. The two lines going to the one end of the iac have coolant running through them. When I took of the bottom one coolant poured out of it. It is better to leave those lines on and unscrew that front part off. Cleaned the iac just from where the two air hoses attach to it. Don't know if it made much of a difference. Seasons over will have to wait until next year to see if it helped.

Back