• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Still Awesome!

Bigblue1

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder RTX-LE
Apex SE
While some may think this belongs on the Apex forum, I don't. I kept my 2011 Apex because as we all know the quality, reliability and smoothness of the Japanese built Yamahas made me hang on, despite loving my Sidewinder. So, is it a back up? Yeah for a few years. A few friends sleds broke down so it did the job. But, I decided to make it a cruiser for long overnight runs etc. I put a tall seat on it, taller handlebars, led lights, and debated upgrading shocks all around but supply chain woes stopped that. I brought it up to Quebec this weekend to see the difference (i know I'm late to the party) and I had smiles all weekend. What a difference the seating position created, and with my D&D kit and a lower engaging primary it was awesome. Torquey, fast and smooth as silk. Now I'm on a personal mission. With some high end shocks I'm out to create the best handling most comfortable deltabox sled I have ever owned. No reason to sell this sled....it runs so well. So why put it on this forum. I guess I'm reminded ( as much as I love my winder) of how great it feels to ride a high quality sled with out any doubts of water pumps, clutch, or drive axle issues that may or may not happen etc. I am hoping that because people have purchased just about everything out there during this covid motorsports surge that Yamaha/Cat bring something with that quality into the game in the next few years. It would be nice.

While some may think this belongs on the Apex forum, I don't. I kept my 2011 Apex because as we all know the quality, reliability and smoothness of the Japanese built Yamahas made me hang on, despite loving my Sidewinder. So, is it a back up? Yeah for a few years. A few friends sleds broke down so it did the job. But, I decided to make it a cruiser for long overnight runs etc. I put a tall seat on it, taller handlebars, led lights, and debated upgrading shocks all around but supply chain woes stopped that. I brought it up to Quebec this weekend to see the difference (i know I'm late to the party) and I had smiles all weekend. What a difference the seating position created, and with my D&D kit and a lower engaging primary it was awesome. Torquey, fast and smooth as silk. Now I'm on a personal mission. With some high end shocks I'm out to create the best handling most comfortable deltabox sled I have ever owned. No reason to sell this sled....it runs so well. So why put it on this forum. I guess I'm reminded ( as much as I love my winder) of how great it feels to ride a high quality sled with out any doubts of water pumps, clutch, or drive axle issues that may or may not happen etc. I am hoping that because people have purchased just about everything out there during this covid motorsports surge that Yamaha/Cat bring something with that quality into the game in the next few years. It would be nice.
Couldn't agree more, I have 2012 and it's a work of engineering art (for all those who understand). We were lucky Yamaha built this machine in the 1st place, it's the closest the industry will ever get to an exotic engine on a sled. I giggle a bit every time I squeeze the throttle.

I have my Attak still that I use for a backup sled, for ice fishing, two up riding, loaner sled ect. It is definitely a reliable "Jack of all trades" and have always really liked my Attak but honestly it is not in the same league as my Sidewinder and never will be. I still add items and change things to update it but it usually sits in the shop when I am heading out on a ride.

apex1.JPG
apex2.JPG
Apex3.JPG
apex4.JPG

apex5.JPG

Apexs are great sleds but they are No Sidewinders!
sw2.PNG

Amen on this one… Still got my Gt and no its stayiing for the long haul …lol.. Never blew a belt, never once left me on the side of the trail and just 2 weeks ago took it on a 150 mile day trip.. Yes I like my winder , but my Apex was thee best sled I ever bought and I have 16 trouble free years to attest to it …

Wonder what a 16 year old Winder would be like, probably be on your last year of payments for some.

I'll admit when I saw the title of this thread, I figured there was some trolling going on. I can't disagree on sentiments about the Apex, though. Pure Yamaha excellence. That engine is bulletproof and the sound is still sweet. My Sidewinder is a much better ride and I love it too. But my '06 Apex RTX still stays in the stable and gets out a couple of times each Winter. I gotta admit there were less worry free times with that and the quality control was much better at that time. Each has it's place. If somehow Yamaha could use that quality in the Winder platform it would be magnificent. My wish was always the Apex engine turboed in a better chassis. I would put in my order tomorrow if this came true. (well I'd have to check with my bank first, though :D )

I have my Attak still that I use for a backup sled, for ice fishing, two up riding, loaner sled ect. It is definitely a reliable "Jack of all trades" and have always really liked my Attak but honestly it is not in the same league as my Sidewinder and never will be. I still add items and change things to update it but it usually sits in the shop when I am heading out on a ride.

View attachment 166130View attachment 166131View attachment 166132View attachment 166133

View attachment 166140
Apexs are great sleds but they are No Sidewinders!
View attachment 166141
Now those are some tall bars!!

I am a apex lover and my sidewinder has spent more time in the shop then on the trail with no end in sight...HOWEVER stock for stock no contest the Sidewinder is much better sled. Modded apex with reliability mods, and upgrades with lightweight parts, and of course boost and now I feel I have a sled that is much better then a winder. My review still stands they all break, there is no perfect sled, but out of the box the Winder is akin to a HEAVILY modded apex and you are miles ahead. That said I think its fair to say with enough effort you can make an apex a better sled (if you count the 4 cyl orgasmic sounds are better ;) ) but if I was forced to only ride a stock sled, it would have to be a winder. I do love modding a apex though (clearly LOL) Glad you are finding enjoyment from the ole pex! Long live the beast!

I am a apex lover and my sidewinder has spent more time in the shop then on the trail with no end in sight...HOWEVER stock for stock no contest the Sidewinder is much better sled. Modded apex with reliability mods, and upgrades with lightweight parts, and of course boost and now I feel I have a sled that is much better then a winder. My review still stands they all break, there is no perfect sled, but out of the box the Winder is akin to a HEAVILY modded apex and you are miles ahead. That said I think its fair to say with enough effort you can make an apex a better sled (if you count the 4 cyl orgasmic sounds are better ;) ) but if I was forced to only ride a stock sled, it would have to be a winder. I do love modding a apex though (clearly LOL) Glad you are finding enjoyment from the ole pex! Long live the beast!
Careful Kinger

Apex just doesn’t have the power and ride terrible but they don’t break, neve had to fix them! Come on Brandon

Back