• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex y pipe broke

Newfie Apex

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Nytro
I was looking on ebay and there is a y pipe repair kit fixes the broken/cracked pipe...Kit also comes with dounut gaskets..Anyone ever use this repair kit? Does it work?

I have no idea about the ebay ones. But from the pics on ebay it looks like surface rust is already forming???
I just ordered 2 pipes from Canadian Yamaha dealer $148.80 each. The best U.S. price I could find was $165.99 - 5%

big guy said:
I have no idea about the ebay ones. But from the pics on ebay it looks like surface rust is already forming???
I just ordered 2 pipes from Canadian Yamaha dealer $148.80 each. The best U.S. price I could find was $165.99 - 5%
I think I seen you and your bud's at the sportsman club in Stoney point ont, on a Sunday this winter and your sled was getting loud?

smoothride said:
big guy said:
I think I seen you and your bud's at the sportsman club in Stoney point ont, on a Sunday this winter and your sled was getting loud?
Not me. Haven't been out that way in 20 years.

Newfie Apex said:
I was looking on ebay and there is a y pipe repair kit fixes the broken/cracked pipe...Kit also comes with dounut gaskets..Anyone ever use this repair kit? Does it work?

How bad are they cracked?

pipe

Not sure have not pulled sled apart...But I know the beginning of last winter there was a crack starting around the flared out part of the pipe where it connects the dounut gasket to the flex pipe..Sled has gotten much louder..Sound seems to be under fuel tank

What year did Yamaha switch to stainless? Mine are getting loud and I already have copper doughnuts so I am assuming it's the headers.

What year did Yamaha switch to stainless? Mine are getting loud and I already have copper doughnuts so I am assuming it's the headers.

yamahatd said:

Not sure what year but it wasn't in 07. It could be the ypipes if yours is original. But my old Attak flex pipe went at 9000 miles and I rode it easy. Ypipes went at 4000 miles I believe. It could be a crack in the pipe as well.
Depends on mileage and how hard you ride. The bulkhead flex's and the exhust takes the abuse.

Probably your y-pipes! I believe every summer one should get in and tighten your clamps on the donuts, as that is what causes the pipes to crack.. the donuts go, then clamps rattle and vibrate on the pipes and grind them too a point were they crack because they are too thin. Yes SS pipes will help but the main problem is the clamp!!

I ride pretty hard and I replaced the doughnuts a couple of years ago with copper. I plan to tackle this in early fall along with the broken drive shaft....7600 tough miles has taken it's toll on the RTX, but she's still rips and is a blast to ride! :)

I think it was 2010 that they went ss on the y pipes I have heard the ebay fix worked but i dnt know for how long. copper donuts seem to help them last longer and yes most of the time the flare gets cut off bu rotating clamps I ground the stops on my clamps a little so they would get tighter on my 07 and didnt have a problem ther after. but I traded it in 2 years latter as well the new owner would have to tell you if they held up for the long run after that and i have no idea who they are.

Back