• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ARE YOU READY!!!

image.png

In this frame, it has the grab bar like you see on the Viper XTX.

Looking at youtube this engine does 200hp with aftermarket turbo without internal modification..

But using this engine as an base for maybe upping it up to 998 cc and with other cam etc it may be up around 130ish hp.. The 3 cyl is lighter and smaller in size vs the 4syl. Today smaller and lighter is better. 4 syl also needs a reduction gear that makes it wider and heavier and more rotating mass lowering the hp.

Wrong the 3 is not smaller then the four it is a few pds lighter but not smaller. I'll take the few pounds of the three hole.

Screenshot_2016-02-11-13-59-10.png
It's got 2 skis and a seat, hopefully it's not just a trail machine. I'm really wanting to buy something new this spring and it has too be able to ride off trail and in the mountains

At the end of the day, I want Yamaha to achieve their vision of a four stroke that can do everything that a two stroke can do. For the most part, yes- we are there; as far as the rest of the market is concerned though they haven't. The thing I like to say in defense though, especially when it comes to the Doo boys is that Doo doesn't make championship winning motorcycles either. Yamaha is a jack of all trades company. They make damn pianos for crying out loud haha.

My guess is a!!!!!! Bunch of really high $$ $rap that will be the next best thing in 10yrs.

Wrong the 3 is not smaller then the four it is a few pds lighter but not smaller. I'll take the few pounds of the three hole.

Wrong :D If the 4 syl is used in a snowmobile it requires a reduction gear between the crank and clutch. This makes it heavier and wider... And more rotating mass thats sucks hp and fuel :)

So after watching a crap ton of videos on the r1 crossplane engine going back and watching this teaser video I think they are putting this new r1 in a sled. They sound exactly the same. Except there is one part that sounds like the old 3 cylinder 1049. I'm guessin they are showing 2 different sleds maybe. That new crossplane r1 would be sick! 200 hp with hopefully a new chassis! Can't wait might have to sell the nytro finally. We will see in a month though

Dear Yamaha,

I am free on March 1st to come test ride ALL the 2017 sled's! I'm fine with cheap hotels, buying my own gas and eating gas station pizza for dinner.

Yours truly,
Northernsledder

Lmao!!!! X2 I'll even share a room with Northernsledder!

But do the crossplane have any advantages on a sled ?
More torque and vibrations ?
More weigh.....heavy crank and counter balance shaft. Be careful what you wish for. The advantage of the cross plane in a bike is power delivery, it gives the rear tire a chance to last the whole race.

Rumor over on HCS is that Cat has terminated its relationship with Suzuki. The suzuki 500cc 2 stroke is to be replaced with the Phazer motor, F1100 NA will be gone, and the F1100 Turbo will be replaced with a 180HP turbo Viper. The 800cc Suzuki will be replaced with an in house 800 Ctec. Rumor is minor body work tweaks and a new single shock rear skid for the mountain sleds to save weight.

If this is true, I have a feeling Yamaha is done building there own sleds.

The 4 cylinder coss plane engine has a 16 valve head, so I think the lighter valvetrain and camshaft would make any crankshaft/countershaft weight increase negligible, compared to a triple.

I'm not sure about the new 998 triple, but the 973 and 1050 triples all have counterbalance shafts. I've heard no complaints about the added weight or any loss of power from the extra rotating mass in these engines.

I'm a 4 cylinder guy, but I'm also getting older and more set in my ways. I know these new triples are awesome, and if they power all the new high performance sleds, I'm good with that! They will be awesome, no doubt!

Last edited:

Back