• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Arrow vs tuner

Rick Chalut

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 nytro xtx
I have 2 sets of skis for my 09 xtx. It came with tuner and kimpex arrow skis both. What ski is better. What ski has lighter steering?
Tha

I will say the Kimpex Arrows. I have run them for 4 years on a Vector and they are one of the best trail ski's I have tried. They did come out with a newer version of the Arrow and I'm not familiar with those. If you flip the two ski's over to compare you should see that the Arrow's are Banana shaped ( curve up at each end ) This makes the steering less in my opinion
the Keels are different also. the Kimpex are longer and tapered not totally square like the tuners the Arrow's also taper out not straight like the tuners

upload_2015-8-25_15-9-21.jpeg
I just bought another Vector and the Arrow's will be going on that sled. The only precaution is that they are not very good in the Deep snow. but either are the tunners. Best carbide I have found for them are 6" Shaper bars on each keel.

Last edited:
I've ran both and thought the Tuners handled slightly better than the Arrows. At times both handled very well on hard packed trails but neither ski performed well in loose conditions. The thing that I hated the most was that they both were extremely inconsistent with changing trail conditions compared to other skis I've ran. The single keel Yamaha skis with the right setup performed better for me than Tuners or Arrows. Skis are easy to change so try them both to see which ones handle the best for you. For me they are way to close to actually say one outperforms the other.

Thanks for the help. This sled came with 2 sets of skis. I was just going to sell a set I will have to wait until winter and sell a set. I had the tuner skis on my 13 NYTRO and didn't really like them all that much. Also found them heavy to steer.

Rick

Thanks for the help. This sled came with 2 sets of skis. I was just going to sell a set I will have to wait until winter and sell a set. I had the tuner skis on my 13 NYTRO and didn't really like them all that much. Also found them heavy to steer.

Rick

There must have been somethign set up weird on your sled for it to have heavy steering with tuners. I ran tuners last season with 6 inch square carbide in center and 4 inch square outside. It was one of the easiest steering efforts of any sled ive driven. You can ride with one hand on the bars.

2 of my buddies now run tuners on thier nytros, and the first comment was wow, this is like having power steering.

Yes they push, and they are not good offtrail, but the steering effort doesnt get any easier than tuners. I have split rails now, and the steering effort is the same as tuners. The split rails and the tuners actually perform quite similar.

Maybe it was how I had it set up. My buddy also had a 12 nytro and his with the stock skis felt like it had the same steering effort. Last season I had a new viper xtx the steering effort was like my 2012 cat f800 sno pro was. I find the nyrto has heavy steering and would like to find a setup that lighten the effort. I had an 08 rtx at the start of the season last year and it too was heavy, not as bad as my 13 was. I haven't ridden this 09 nytro xtx yet. I am hoping with a few tweeks i can get the steering effort down. I really like these sleds but on high mile days the arms and shoulders are pretty tired. Or maybe my wife is right and i should spend the money on a gym membership and suck it up.

Ya I rode my sled once, for about 10kms with the stock skis. Took serious effort to turn it. Put the tuners on and you can literally drive around and turn with one hand on the bars.

My brother has C and A razors, same thing, very high steering effort. They do push less in loose conditions than the tuners, but its not worth the effort to me. When the front end is loose, the rear end is also loose. So when the fronts pushing just use your throttle to steer. lol

...........When the front end is loose, the rear end is also loose. So when the fronts pushing just use your throttle to steer. lol

This makes absolutely no sense.

The snow
This makes absolutely no sense.

Makes perfect sense. I might have not been clear.

Was only half serious. But when the trails are soft and loose. The sled will slide around corners with some throttle. Skis won't push when you do that. I wouldn't recommend riding like that tho. Destroys the trails a little.

Rick, a steering post relocate will help reduce arm fatigue. It won't reduce the Nytro's heavy steering but it will relocate the bars so they have more of a horizontal swing which compliments a riders natural body strength. Suspension adjustment can also help decreases steering effort but riding style will determine how far you can go with that. Remember that the Nytro needs a lot of rider input to make it perform no matter what ski is on it and I've found and I believe Phil is also suggesting that the harder you ride a Nytro the more capable it becomes.

The tuners really numb up the front end. That's what a lot of trail riders were asking for when not wanting any darting or hunting in other ski tracks or decelerating or at low speeds. For those who ride aggressively or want precise handling c&a or curves are the way to go.

My suggestion is sell both sets and buy one of those.

Back