• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Issue - Feeback Needed

rbell14

TY 4 Stroke Guru
image.jpg
im running a gates carbon fiber equivalent to the 8JP. It was new this season and I broke it in properly. Noticed some of the ribs have peeled off with 900 miles on the belt.

Is this normal to see on a carbon fiber belt with only 900 miles? Overall I love the belt performance.

View attachment 145436 im running a gates carbon fiber equivalent to the 8JP. It was new this season and I broke it in properly. Noticed some of the ribs have peeled off with 900 miles on the belt.

Is this normal to see on a carbon fiber belt with only 900 miles? Overall I love the belt performance.
I ran the C12 for the past two years and am not going to buy anymore. The reason, six belts and only one blew. 4 delaminated like yours, and one is still usable. I have tried the Kevlar version, but don't have many miles on it I will need to adjust weights a bit to get RPMs where they need to be. It does seam to be similar compound and runs much lower RPM than the 8JP. Overall, not happy with the C12 delamination in less than 1000 miles.

My gate's c12's don't delaminate, they disintegrate around the 600+ mile mark, but we all know how I ride.

Seems pretty early for delamination but sounds like that's a know issue with carbon fiber belts. I liked the performance and consistency with RPM's on this belt but at $95/belt I need more mileage out of them.

1,500 on my 8jp length Carbon and it still looks/performs like new. Only have the original 8jp as backup, might be time to grab another carbon. How was the belt stored? Gates specifically notes that you shouldn't put a backwards bend in the belt but that's how the stock belt bags hold them.

I only took one picture but there are several sections along the belt like this in some fashion or another. PLUS, my parking brake lever has been broken all season so I don't have a parking brake at the moment. (red clip to set brake snapped off last year)

And I don't do brake torques etc... Just a trail rider for speed!!

I have over 2,500 miles on my gates Kevlar belt and still looks good

Good news, Gates is going to warranty it. Just hope next one does better.
Did you need a receipt?
I know gate's had a bad batch of cf belts a season or 2 ago.

No, they prefer I work back with original vendor but when I told them I purchased via Amazon they had me send the belt to them for Warranty claim. I just called their aftermarket belt application department, complained a bit about premature wear and he told me to send the belt back and they would resend a new one.

Been running these carbon belts since 2012. Never lost one of them. Even on the 2012 Turbo Cat that was notorious for eating belts, I could get 3000 miles out of one. If I cant make the season on one belt, somethings WRONG. That included spring days in the 50s, in mashed potatoes. Hope the new one lasts for you.

Been running these carbon belts since 2012. Never lost one of them. Even on the 2012 Turbo Cat that was notorious for eating belts, I could get 3000 miles out of one. If I cant make the season on one belt, somethings WRONG. That included spring days in the 50s, in mashed potatoes. Hope the new one lasts for you.
Spirited trail riding is not hard on belts and I see how they can last several thousand miles, it's when I stab the throttle and ski's don't touch the snow until I let off at around 90 mph or having your ski's higher than your head in 4'+ off snow off trail is the killer imo, but that's fun and how I ride.
:sled2::die

Good to know, I will give it a try.

Back