• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Belt Blowing

yamahahaapex

TY 4 Stroke Master
Nothing new here. Was a victim of belt blowing once the sled was tuned. Offset was 62mm. That has since changed to 58.12mm when the ultimax belt blew a couple days ago. Thunder products rollers in primary and secondary and I am replacing my current dalton springs in primary and secondary just so I have spares(1,600kms on them). 6/1 secondary moving to 6/2

Belt had about 15kms on it so it should have been warm when it blew. Pulled off the trail into a field, hit the throttle and made it about 30'. The belt ripped in half with about 5-600kms on it from some extremely hard runs testing for a boost leak issue last season. THe8jp belt I broke first tore intro pieces with black dust and schrapnel everywhere.

I am wondering when I hit the throttle that i was on the throttle, let off a bit and hit it and it's possible that the torsion snapped it right in half. Currently working on keeping the throttle under 3/4 for 40kms to break in this new belt as per manual spec.

You need more secondary spring if you are snapping belts. Which spring are you running, black orange? That spring never worked for me. Run the EPI purple, cat green, dalton white or equivalent wrapped up tighter.

The new V2 B/O is more robust than the V1 on my drill press scale, and I run them at 90 now. at a min. They end up just as sought as the Dalton Cat white set on 1-0, in fact, they end up at exactly the same pressures on my scale like that. So the new V2 B/O just needs wrapped up more too.

The new V2 B/O is more robust than the V1 on my drill press scale, and I run them at 90 now. at a min. They end up just as sought as the Dalton Cat white set on 1-0, in fact, they end up at exactly the same pressures on my scale like that. So the new V2 B/O just needs wrapped up more too.
thanks for doing the drill press scale test btw! Definitely an asset to this forum.

Got an xs825 belt and the v2 b/o. Wrapped at 90. We’ll see how things go.

Just to be clear.
You said the offset moved from 62 to 58.
Did you move it or did it move after blowing belt?
And how much tune?

IMO...the OEM 8JP belt is just not robust enough to handle the abuse even a stock Sidewinder can dish out, let alone a tuned SW.

Although i don't disagree with this statement, the 8JP with properly tuned clutches, can easily handle some power.
I had an 800 mile Belt Blower before i adjusted offset, clutch weights & secondary spring. That's all it took.
It lasted over 2000 miles before i would just change it anyways cuz that's all i wanted out of the belt.
I ran Ecoboost and i'm a Throttle Idiot. The 8JP was by far the cheapest $ also.

Throughout this Winder "adventure" i noticed that when guys are "snapping" belts it didn't matter what they ran.
They snapped them all, Stock, Gboost, Gates, Carlisle, Ultimax...........didn't matter.

Also you then have to tune to that belt.
So pick your belt & make it work cuz springs & helix's start to add up.............Mo' money Mo' money

Nothing new here. Was a victim of belt blowing once the sled was tuned. Offset was 62mm. That has since changed to 58.12mm when the ultimax belt blew a couple days ago. Thunder products rollers in primary and secondary and I am replacing my current dalton springs in primary and secondary just so I have spares(1,600kms on them). 6/1 secondary moving to 6/2

Belt had about 15kms on it so it should have been warm when it blew. Pulled off the trail into a field, hit the throttle and made it about 30'. The belt ripped in half with about 5-600kms on it from some extremely hard runs testing for a boost leak issue last season. THe8jp belt I broke first tore intro pieces with black dust and schrapnel everywhere.

I am wondering when I hit the throttle that i was on the throttle, let off a bit and hit it and it's possible that the torsion snapped it right in half. Currently working on keeping the throttle under 3/4 for 40kms to break in this new belt as per manual spec.
Yes roll in roll out of throttle. I have similar set up but use TP orange springs with glide washers and Dalton weights on a 33/35 helix. I have not blown a belt in three years...knock on wood. Primary rollers and offset were the big issues for me. Max spool 17 tune.

Yes roll in roll out of throttle. I have similar set up but use TP orange springs with glide washers and Dalton weights on a 33/35 helix. I have not blown a belt in three years...knock on wood. Primary rollers and offset were the big issues for me. Max spool 17 tune.
What is your secondary spring wrapped at?

If you let of the throttle and then hit it again and snap the belt. I have found that more secondary spring fixes that issue. I run the epi purple 33/35 helix stock primary with daltons thunder products weights not sure how they are loaded have to look at my notes from last year 1200 hard miles same belt

Sled is an animal in the trails and in deep snow

LTX with 1 3/4 backcountry
So many variables contribute to clutch performance it’s hard to nail down one set up for every condition as the weather/ snow is always changing

I found in my adventure that the Ultimate works best for me when it sits slightly lower than factory spec. I think its a bit wider than the 8JP.

Last edited:
I tried a complete set up from thunder product they gave me a 2nd gen black orange snapped a belt in half. Instantly snapped a belt. Coming over a high speed nole backing off and back on “snap” went back to the purple and been happy since

Back