• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt squeel when coming to a stop..?

cloead

Extreme
New issue to me anyways. Have never heard this before, but yesterday every time I was slowing down the belt (or something by the belt) would let out a quick chirp right before I would completely stop (right as the clutch disengaged?)

Any ideas?

Check your primary, it might be hanging up. Also check alignment. If you have had a belt go lately there's a chance you've got a cord or piece of belt in one of the clutches.

Check your primary, it might be hanging up. Also check alignment. If you have had a belt go lately there's a chance you've got a cord or piece of belt in one of the clutches.

Forgive my ignorance but how do I go about checking my primary? What am I checking for? Never really messed with snowmobile clutches. Same goes for alignment..

Never had the belt off this sled and I've put about 300 miles on it since I bought it

And for the first 250 miles it never made this squeek sound

The easiest way to check your primary is to remove the 6 bolts on the face of it, remove the cover and spring and slide the sheath in and out to ensure it moves freely with no binding....if you look in the 3 areas where it is sliding, you will see plastic slides...makes sure these all look to be in good shape and hav sufficient material as to minimize side to side movement. Make sure you line the cover X with the clutch X when you put it back together (or your clutch will be out of balance). I think torque value is 14 Nm for the cover bolts.

You could also measure your belt width to make sure it is ok...roughly good if in range of 32.5 to 34 or so mm....Time to change if below 32.5

The easiest way to check your primary is to remove the 6 bolts on the face of it, remove the cover and spring and slide the sheath in and out to ensure it moves freely with no binding....if you look in the 3 areas where it is sliding, you will see plastic slides...makes sure these all look to be in good shape and hav sufficient material as to minimize side to side movement. Make sure you line the cover X with the clutch X when you put it back together (or your clutch will be out of balance). I think torque value is 14 Nm for the cover bolts.

You could also measure your belt width to make sure it is ok...roughly good if in range of 32.5 to 34 or so mm....Time to change if below 32.5

I will check it out tonight! Thanks guys

Were you riding in powder snow as that some times will get into the clutches and cause a chirp/squeal. Happen on the lake to me yesterday in deep powder went away on the hard pack.

Pete

Were you riding in powder snow as that some times will get into the clutches and cause a chirp/squeal. Happen on the lake to me yesterday in deep powder went away on the hard pack.

Pete

I was riding in that snow storm that came through Ohio/PA Sunday. Lots of fresh powder on the trails and nobody else riding! That may have been it. I didn't get a chance to do anything yesterday but I'll try again today. Thanks guys.

I pulled the belt off last night. Measured in at 32.2...

Also it looks like it's hitting the lower guard. The left top side of the belt had some material worn away and the guard was bent up at the end where it looks like the belt was hitting it. Not sure what is causing that but I fear even if I put the spare belt I have on it's going to do the same thing..

According to the manual, 32.2 means a new belt is needed.

Wrt the belt guard, if you have the stock guard and a belt was ever broken it is probably not in its original location/shape. Recommend you bend it down out of the way or replace with Schmidt bros and try a new belt.

The 32.2 measurement allows the belt to sit lower in the secondary meaning more deflection/slop and could be the source of your problems.

According to the manual, 32.2 means a new belt is needed.

Wrt the belt guard, if you have the stock guard and a belt was ever broken it is probably not in its original location/shape. Recommend you bend it down out of the way or replace with Schmidt bros and try a new belt.

The 32.2 measurement allows the belt to sit lower in the secondary meaning more deflection/slop and could be the source of your problems.

Ok, I'll bend that guard lower and put the new belt on and keep the old as a spare.

I'll still take the primary apart and make sure it's in decent shape.

Thanks again

Got the guard bent down and out of the way so it's not part of the equation anymore.

Installed a the new belt.. and it no longer chirps right before coming to a stop... but now it sits there and sounds like a light chirping sound at idle (the entire time) now. Maybe the primary is hanging up.. idk

how high does the belt sit in the secondary?

Back