• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best GPS Unit For Off Trail??

Nik Schwartz

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper LTX
I am starting to do a lot of off trail riding in the UP and looking at buying a GPS unit. Just looking for advice on which one to get. Just wondering if some have better off trail maps than others. Thanks in advance!

Keep in mind what you are actually asking for. When a person is looking for off-trail maps, then you have to ask yourself, what do you want to see?

Many want to know where the closest towns, roads, highways, lakes, rivers, or even sled trails are to get out. But if you are off trail, there is nothing else to show. (it won't keep you from hitting a tree (smile))

For example, my GPS base map will show drainage ditches if I turn the detail up. That's huge when running open fields, as you cannot see a drainage ditch while trucking across a field at 80mph. That would be a good thing to know.

In your case it may be elevation changes, or rivers. The model of the GPS doesn't matter as much as the base map having the info you are looking for, or a trail map company including the items you are looking for along with their trails. In fact, I think the trail maps software I have, included those draining ditches and minimum maintenance roads.

From there, you just need to be sure you get a GPS model that you can upload maps to. Or allow you to leave your own trails to create your own maps of the off-trail places you ride. Most Garmin GPS units will allow you to export your breadcrumb trails to a software called BaseCamp. Then you can create your own honey-hole maps and document them with pictures, waypoints, videos and coordinates.

Good luck!

I guess when I say off trail I mean Logging roads. Ihanks for the info. Im looking at a Montana 650 right now.

Back