• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown XTX rear shock

MNBlizzard

Expert
I am looking for thoughts/comments on a couple things. This weekend I started riding and got about 15 miles away from home and blew out my rear shock. It split the shock body near the top, seems like a hydraulic blow out. My XTX has 6500 miles on it and this fall I sent them all in for a rebuild and revalve with a well known and recommended company. This was exactly 365 miles ago. (I reset my trip meter each fall to log mileage.) Anyways, I have heard some people have had this exact same thing happen with the stock shocks and yamaha supposedly updated the design in 2011.

Do you think it was over filled or something else? Do you think the rebuilder is responsible it all and if so, what would be an appropriate in terms of replacement of the shock? Just doesn't seem right to me that the shock went over 6000 miles and then to have this happen after getting maintenance done on it.

Are there any TY reviews of the Fox Zero Pro rear shock available from carver? It seems this may be a better built shock but doesn't have the tunability of the gytr shock. Should I get the center Fox shock with the rear or can I run the mismatch pair?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 560

I dont think your rebuilder is at fault. There is page after page of this happening to xtx owners. There are kits availible to strengthen the shock body. Shock body is too weak in that area, and without reinforcement its bound to happen. A 2011 shock is ur fix...

Same thing happened to me this year. Weak design they fixed in 2011. Took my to Hygear and about $200 later all is well. Hygear replaced the body with one of theirs and told me it would never happen again. The new body looks a lot stronger.

I agree with RaginYamaha. I do think the rupture was not the fault of the servicer. The shock body is in fact too thin in that area and Yamaha did increase the body thickness in 2011. I am going to order the new shock and forgo the Fox option. Biggest bummer is loosing two weekends of riding my XTX.

Same thing happened on my 08 FX Nytro RTX, its a design flaw, and a costly one. Its been covered on this site quite extensively.

Just don't buy a new shock from Yamaha and maybe they'll clue in... :moon:

Better off buying foxshox and never looking back!

Star suspensions sells a sleeve they press over that area for anyone still riding with 09-10 shocks. I got them to do it to mine when I sent it in. Only 30 bucks I think.

The only thing I can say, is they likely re-valved it stiffer and more aggressive, thus increasing the pressure and the bad design from Yamaha just couldn't hold it.

I still think the engineer who designed the XTX skid was drunk that day. Limiter strap issues, and shock issues are easily seen and should have been caught during design.

Add me to the blown rear shock club. 5500 miles on the sled.

Went out last Friday morning in the UP of Mich. Very cold morning. Hit some 2 footers + with
in the first 10 miles and wham lost the rear suspension.

Pulled it into the garage and the shock housing is ballooned and split.

Looks like I will be calling Hygear.

vsmpowered said:
Get axis best shock works great
Who did you have build your axis shocks?

For the guys that upgraded rear skid shocks, what did you get and how are they performing in the studders? Mine are down the road after this year....had enough of them piss pounding the crap of me.

I have used axis shocks on my 09 Nytro XTX and it was significant improvement over stock shock valving but the rear arm design simply has too much friction built into it. On my '12 xtx believe or not I prefer the stock valving. I will have the Axis redone off season to better match stock valving and tune them from there. I am also considering Doo skid to improve ride quality using axis shocks.

sorenson1610 said:
For the guys that upgraded rear skid shocks, what did you get and how are they performing in the studders? Mine are down the road after this year....had enough of them piss pounding the crap of me.

Important tip if you are trying to improve stutter ride quality in xtx skid: I found the rear torque are transfer bars need frequent greasing (perhaps every ride) to improve stutter compliance. When greasing the (2) transfer rod slides you will see the grease only gets pushed out out of the bottom and sides not top of the rod. This IMHO, is a design issue as the torsion springs are preloading the adjustable cams on top of the slides so much so there is no way to get any grease unless one removes all the pressure out of the torsion springs and then greases the zerks.

Back