• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Brake Light/ Tail Light

schroon

Pro
Website
www.pacific-custom.com
I know it must have been discussed, but did a search and can't find what I want. My tail light is not bright while running and my brake light isn't coming on. How do I get at the bulbs and are they special bulbs? Or do I have a problem else where. Can't seem to find a schematic of the assembly to see how it is put together.

Remove the plastic around the exhaust out lets, remove the plastic piece around the tail light and you can get at the light. It is LED. The connection to it is at the front right side of the seat. Remove the three screws holding the black plastic at the front of the seat and you can get at the connector. Check continuity to ground, check voltage for the running and brake lights.

I think it's a sealed unit. If you need to replace it check one of the guys an the site and get a used one. Did u check the wiring?

I bought a used light plugged it in and started the sled, took about 30 seconds to come, hit the brakes, the light worked once. Now just the light comes on. As I said, when I hooked a test light to it, each prong worked good, even brakes for power. Would this light be bad too? Should I have just gotten a new one?

if thr two lights are bad it would be the first two i have ever heard of led dont fail very often at all and have a lfe of many many years. I think you have some other problem. just my .02 of course.

I would do a continuity check on the wiring in the seat to check for a bad wire. You could test the light right off the battery with jump leads to see if it is still good.

schroon said:
What's involved, just undoing those 2 j hooks by the rear light?

Yes and the tail light connection at the front of the seat under the side lower tank cover.

To me it seems like you have a ground issue tho.
If the test light shows power is good then likely cause is a poor ground as the test light is not being grounded the same as the wires you are testing in the connector.
I would check this and also look at the three gounding blocks up in the front around the motor. You can read this post that explains this problem.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=83994&start=0

Tested ground at rear, little to no reading, pulled seat and checked harness in seat and that was good, checked at front of seat at plug, little to no reading. So I go farther, where does that lead go to? Where do I check next? I am not real good when it comes to electricity, so I will ask a lot of questions, please bear with me. Thanks.

I know it may not be the proper way to get this fixed, but, what if I soldier spliced a wire into that ground wire right there by the plug and attach the other end to a bolt on the chassis? I hate doing a shortcut, but this only the ground for the tail light.

Back