• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Breaking in a new Apex

Bob Miller

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Present Sled: 2011 Yamaha Apex 128
Looking for some feedback on breaking in a new Apex, how many miles, what's done on first maintenance, and any other feedback. Thanks ;)!

You should take some time to read the manual under "Break-in". This information is illustrated in detail.

Generally they recommend to avoid prolonged operation above 6,000 rpm from 0-100 miles then don't go above 8,000 rpm between 100- 300 miles. The various parts in the engine wear & polish themselves to the correct operation clearances. After 500 miles of operation they recommend changing the oil. Clearly if there's any issues during the break in period I'd bring it to your dealer.

On the flip side of the coin you can also ride it like you stole it too. Either or, your call. Enjoy!!

:sled1:

Of all the apex's I have come across the one's broken in hard run the best. I picked up a 40th anniversary Apex LTX from an older gentleman that said he broke it in by the manual and it was the slowest Apex I had ever seen. I sold it to a Canadian that wondered what I did to it because it was the slowest one by far of many of his riding buddies apex's.

15min warmup then vary the throttle with full RPM pull with lots of compresion breaking....basically up and down...what Ive done with 4 yami's aways fast and NEVER burn oil...btw my Nytro hit 114mph STOCK with this break in

Bob Miller said:
I broke my 04 Warrior in hard and it burned oil :o|
03 and 04's had the bad rings, it had nothing to do with how you broke it in.........

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Have a read... lots of opinions on this one. the last 3 new sleds, 2 apex's and this year a 1200xgade.. I followed this... i did not start in the garage to listwn to the motor, nor show the friends... start warm up real good... then hard... very hard... very the RPM... decelerate as fast as possible with throttle. this will create a vaccum in the chambers and essentially suck out any particulates... since i did this to my apex's i have put over 25000 combined miles on them, and they pull just as hard as the day they were new. its makes a strong motor.... this is proven.

sherlock29 said:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Have a read... lots of opinions on this one. the last 3 new sleds, 2 apex's and this year a 1200xgade.. I followed this... i did not start in the garage to listwn to the motor, nor show the friends... start warm up real good... then hard... very hard... very the RPM... decelerate as fast as possible with throttle. this will create a vaccum in the chambers and essentially suck out any particulates... since i did this to my apex's i have put over 25000 combined miles on them, and they pull just as hard as the day they were new. its makes a strong motor.... this is proven.

Great link, one I have used in the past as well.
From my reading of it, I think the most important thing I retained was allowing the engine to cool periodically for 10 to 15 minutes every hour.

Concerning break in of the new Apex, I took it out during the storm and rode back and forth on a Grass strip Airport that is across the street from me! Full throttle than backed off, kept repeating this for 15 miles! From what I read on http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm , the "Break In" is done. When I reach 500 miles I will change the Oil and filter, would you go with Full Synthetic at this time?

I went with full synthetic on mine. For the minor cost differences it was the only choice.

Bob Miller said:
Concerning break in of the new Apex, I took it out during the storm and rode back and forth on a Grass strip Airport that is across the street from me! Full throttle than backed off, kept repeating this for 15 miles! From what I read on http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm , the "Break In" is done. When I reach 500 miles I will change the Oil and filter, would you go with Full Synthetic at this time?
Very good, I plan to break mine in the same way. I too am going to switch to 100% synthetic at my first change. Do as whits-end suggests and pull the screen at the bottom of the oil tank.

There's tons of opinions.
Obviously no manufacturer in their right mind is going to tell you to hammer it straight out of the box.
With that said, I took it easy on my 2006 apex for about 25-30 miles. Trying to brear it in as the manual suggests. At that point I could not resist hammering on it.
Once I squeezed the throttle I never looked back.
I ride it like I stole it every time im on it and with 11thousand miles on it now, the engine has never let me down.

Back