• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

broken phazer

snojonz

So I took my 2007 Mtn Lite in to the shop cuz it wouldn't start. I had tried for two hours last friday to start it with battery and jumping it. Next day tried jumping it for well, another two hours. No start. At one point it became harder turning, which I didn't really notice till after the fact. So I take it in.

Shop calls back, sez they tried for an hour, not the battery, won't crank cuz something is holding it back. Slowing it down, dragging......I ask does it spark, is there gas getting to it? They say- it doesn't matter cuz it's cranking too slow. Seems like there's-a-bearin that's rusty or mangled. But.... they sez, it usually happens after a story, like an epic "here, hold my beer story." That of which I have not had.

I put it away last May in a covered shed, ran fine. Tried starting it this fall, acted fine, just wouldn't start, but then did seem like it had a harder time turning, but I thought it was just cuz I was jumping it on a dead battery.

Does anyone have any idea what could be up? What is happening with this? Can anyone help me? Your, my only hope.javascript:emoticon(':drink:')

Snojonz, please take the time to update your location in your profile. Thanks!

Welcome to TY! There is a service bulletin on the starter for these sleds, something about a bolt backing out. Not sure if it would cause the slow turn over but someone else may confirm/deny that.

The sled is fuel injected so you should be able to hear the fuel pump cycle when you first turn the key. If it's not cycling I would look into the relays.

How did yamaha come to that point that something is holding it back. U may what to take somewhere else. Because that would have to one bad bearing in there I think u would feel that. p.s. do have Y.E.S

Hey Apex 06

So the shop determined that by taking out the plugs and turning it by hand. Putting a strap on the clutch flywheel I assume. It just doesn't make sense 1)what caused it, and 2) the sled has 1000k miles on it is all, and a bad or rusty bearing when it was under a roof and covered all summer, put away nice? Does not make sense.

The phazer uses a gear reduction doesn't it?!?!

I think we need more info or you need to consult another dealer.

Is the sled boosted?

I would have to agree with the others that suggested take it to another shop. The other thing it could be that would make the engine turn over slow, IF they have check the starter and Battery, is the decompressor is not functioning correctly. I may be hanging up on the pins.

It's not boosted, pretty stock, except rtx springs on the skid. It's had most of the warranty work done, though heard about a starter warranty problem, don't know if that was fixed, but the shop says its not the starter. Aparently its getting gas and spark, but hard to turn.

What would gear reduction do to slow it down?

Well, I was gonna take your guys advice and take it to another shop, but I had told them they could work on it, so when I called this morning they already had it half apart. Don't know if I could take it half torn apart. So I'll wait til they have it torn down completely, if they find out what's wrong, I'll be checking back to see if y'all agree. If I call b***s*** on their findings, I'll collect it in a box and either take it to another shop or do it myself.

Sorry about all the questions, I used to have a 03 700 RMK, and a 2000 Phazer mtn lite, but this is my first four stroke. Last four stroke I tore into was my motorbike in highschool 20 years ago.

Well heres what the gear reduction looks like in a phazer on a bad day... I think it would be unlikely but I guess possible because you got right about the same miles I had on when mine went, but it locked up my engine dead on the trail. I suppose metal from the gears could have gotten into your bearings. Also the phazer is fuel injected and needs to spin over fairly good to start and after mine sits for over a month it takes a while but it will start. Since they pulled the plugs and it still turns hard that only sounds like bad news, mabye the starter is hanging up? or the clutch posssibly, if the park brake was on then you wouldnt have noticed it wanting to move? Hope its nothing too bad

Good luck
Joe

Snowmobile001.jpg

snojonz said:
What would gear reduction do to slow it down?

I only mentioned this because turning the motor over by via the clutch through the gear reduction would feel weird to a typical smoker mechanic. Just a strange way in general to diagnose a 'bearing'.

Keep us posted.

Any updates?

Last fall the same thing happened with my Phazer. Turned out it needed gas. My fuel gauge said I had 3 bars. :s

I'd be pissed if that was the case, but there was at least one old gallon of gas in the tank and I added a gallon of fresh new gas.

Talked to the mechanic today, said they are 8 hours into it at $70/hr and now that they've checked all the bearings and kombobulators, it might just be the starter. The thing I told them there was a recall to begin with. However, they said the recall that I told them about was merely wiring on the damn thing and not a slow cranking starter.

So they took the whole thing apart, looked at all the bearings, cranks, cams, saw a few dings on the cams, figure that's not the culprit, everything on the bottom and top ends look good enough. So monday they put back the gaskets, call the tech and find out if it's covered by warranty. If not shop labor: $630, new starter $220, total for smoker mechanic not knowing what the hell is up with my sled $850? Do I have any rights to stand on here. Is it possibly wrong to go doing 8hrs worth of work when wouldn't you look at the gas, first, then spark, then starter?

And it isn't even running yet and they spent 8 hrs looking at the thing?

Did I just get hosed?

:die

Back