• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Broken pivot arm fix

ATV PRO #11

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Phazer XTX
Thought I'd share my pivot arm fix from yesterday. My stock was updated before I bought sled in 10. The one beside the skid is my spare I bought last season ( nov 2013 8gc-47332-02-00 )and broke within 200kms. Changed it out and was injured for the rest of season last year. You can clearly see how clean it is and paints not even worn away from bolting in or anything. Lol. Was sold on it being the "updated one" off the 14's but clearly was not as it is not the same as the one on my new 14. Shady.

I'll also include a photo of my 14 xtx's arm. You can clearly see the two prongs the shock bolt to is 1/8" thick, not the updated double sandwiched together ones. Also, notice the gusset across the arm on the 14.
So, not being a pro welder, here's my fix. Both arms are fixed the same. I now have a back up.

My settings were comp 9 rebound 15. Sag on hard. Strap #5 (full ski pressure). Shocks revalved by Jim 2013.
I've relieved the strap to #2 and recommendEd to my buddy to buy new carbides. I believe those settings put to much on the arm hence the continual breakage over the last season n half of riding.
See how it holds up for its new owner.
image.jpg
Test fitimage.jpg
Last seasons arm image.jpg
I used 1" channel and slid up beyond the gussets and welded all points of contact. Then I used a smaller piece and ran it across the shock mount and welded all those contact points. Testing on sled chassis and moving in all positions with no binding anywhere.

More photos. Amazing the welder used was a 110v plug in argon (c25) shielded Lincoln welder. Set on 6 1/2 wire speed and 9 heat (max). Only blew out breaker once and my buddy had a 20amp in there. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Finally the new xtx arm. Still ok in sled. Notice the size of the shock mounts. And gusset across the bottom of arm. I would assume preventing that continual breaking beside the mount.
I'd have to say Yamaha must be listening and fixing accordingly. As the arms have been updated several times now.
image.jpg image.jpg

Just did a search. And the 2014 xtx pivot arm 1's product code is now:

8GN-47331-03-00

Why would in change from 8GC to 8GN??
I understand the updates 8xx-xxxxx-01(02 or 03)-00

Back