• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BTX first ride- left me stranded

Trailerpro

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder BTX
Brand new first ride....btx se and my kids new viper mtx (leftover 15 but new). Just hit the ditches with 4" of fresh....ran good 15 miles, had lunch and then headed back and btx kept overheating regardless of snow within 2 miles. Trail had pleanty of fresh snow I jumped off into 12" or so...light goes out and 10 seconds later its retarding power again. After stopping twice to cool in a mile and coolant level good i got it to roadside and rode the mtx to get the truck to haul this 15k boat anchor all the way back to town.
Before i was pissed off i will say it wa pretty fun first 15 miles...thought it would be faster. Could use more transfer but steering is so much lighter than 15 mtx and balance feels much better. Track spun a lot ...It pulls hard but expected more. When jumping off into snow to cool felt a bad vibration about 6k rpm...have really no idea and the only reason i bought yamahas knowing the handling/weight sacrifice to polaris was reliability and i didnt make it 1 ride! Dealer is trying to get me in asap and hope for the best. Dammit!

Sorry to hear...mine was great for the first 250 miles and now I'm experiencing the exact same situation..goes to the dealer tomorrow..I thought Yamahas were supposed to be dependable? I had to limp it to a gas station and take my wife's Viper back to the truck and load this $15000 pig on my trailer.

Sorry to hear...mine was great for the first 250 miles and now I'm experiencing the exact same situation..goes to the dealer tomorrow..I thought Yamahas were supposed to be dependable? I had to limp it to a gas station and take my wife's Viper back to the truck and load this $15000 pig on my trailer.
I hear ya....i wasnt happy. I know not dealer fault but there should be some testing and quality control here. Please post updates and ill do the same. The ONLY reason to buy a yamaha is reliability and this just sucks. Dealer is trying to help.

It could just be an air pocket in the cooling system, maybe, maybe not, just guessing. An air lock in the cooling system could do that. Try raising the front front of the sled and warm it up with the filler cap removed, might help.

Sounds to me like an air pocket was the heat exchanger warm when it was overheating?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like an air pocket was the heat exchanger warm when it was overheating?

Dealer said if it was air pocket it should have happened right away but was fine 1st 15 miles...then sat an hour ...then it happened. He suspected a thermostat but who knows. Hope they figure it out rather quickly

Dealer said if it was air pocket it should have happened right away but was fine 1st 15 miles...then sat an hour ...then it happened. He suspected a thermostat but who knows. Hope they figure it out rather quickly

Never thought of a t stat usually they fail open. Did have a few brand new ones we thru in our deere 4230 that both of them were no good and wouldn't open. You by chance feel the heat exchangers when it crappies out on yah?

I didn't....it was hot though. i kept jumping in the deep snow but it got to where every 10 seconds it would start stuttering and protecting every time i jumped on trail or gave it throttle more so i just got it to a road and shut it off and went and got the truck. Didn't think to do anything but pull side panels and make sure it had coolant which was at the cold level line

Some helpful advice to you guys with your overheating issue.Yamaha generally uses 100 percent antifreeze on there machines when new.My advice is to drain some of the coolant and add water,the purer the better,make it about 75 percent coolant 25 percent water,purge system and refill if needed.The problem with a straight antifreeze is that it will retain the hotter temp longer like a sponge,the water mixture will help disperse heat and allow better flow.I had this same issue with my new Apex and new warrior at that time,after doing the remix never had issue even in low snow conditions.

Sorry to hear, just over 500 miles on mine, in for the 500 mile service now then back at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update...Just talked to the tech working on my Sidewinder, he took a quick look at it and noticed that someone torqued one of the hoses too tight and and busted the clamp and all the antifreeze leaked out...He will let me know more early next week.

Mine was all good, rollers, belt, bolts [emoji106]...another sled was there though, same issue with the clamp broken and collant leaked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back