• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BUMP STEER IMPROVEMENT

I debated between the IQR and Rush Pro-R for quite a while. I knew the Rush had the handling and stability I wanted, but its rear skid is not as good as they claim. I feel the IQR will work better for the rough courses our XC races turn into. I also put in for an Arctic Cat F1100 and a Sno-Pro 600. I got accepted for the 600 but Cat didn't send out their letters until last week. Too late for me as I already went for the Polaris.

It will be fun to compare the two sleds this winter. I'll have a good benchmark to shoot for with the handling of my Nytro. It will be really interesting if tuning out the bump steer puts the Nytro on equal handling or not?

Good Luck with your new sled- I don't think there is any way a Nytro will keep up with an IQR or a Sno Pro chassis sled on a race track.

Excited to see the handling upgrades on the Nytro- between the concept front end all this bumpsteer talk.

I may just have to make my cross country debut at the governors cup this year. Put the concept front end to the test against those piston eating oil burning sleds :die ;)!

rlcofmn said:
I may just have to make my cross country debut at the governors cup this year. Put the concept front end to the test against those piston eating oil burning sleds :die ;)!
Good luck! :yam:

Right on! Yamaha will need someone there to represent. A single blue sled always stands out in the sea of green, yellow and red on the line.
It would be really cool to see how the concept front end tracks through the bumps.

Maybe you could run it down Polar Raceway and see it if feels more stable at high speed? Your Nytro did pretty good in the You Tube video.

AKrider said:
I debated between the IQR and Rush Pro-R for quite a while. I knew the Rush had the handling and stability I wanted, but its rear skid is not as good as they claim. I feel the IQR will work better for the rough courses our XC races turn into. I also put in for an Arctic Cat F1100 and a Sno-Pro 600. I got accepted for the 600 but Cat didn't send out their letters until last week. Too late for me as I already went for the Polaris.

It will be fun to compare the two sleds this winter. I'll have a good benchmark to shoot for with the handling of my Nytro. It will be really interesting if tuning out the bump steer puts the Nytro on equal handling or not?

Sounds like AC will be unveiling a new SNO PRO at Hay Days, good luck with the IQR, looking forward to the feedback.

Where is polar raceway? I'd love to get it out on the track again and raceway park is done for the season. Edit, just googled it. Polar is the same as Alaska Raceway Park and the only strip in the state. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I had this box in my work truck and I couldn't resist myself.
2011-09-06_14-07-51_410.jpg

42" concept front end. I'll get it out of the box tonight and get some better first impressions. Really excited for some early season trail testing. :jump:

stopdropanroll said:
Sounds like AC will be unveiling a new SNO PRO at Hay Days, good luck with the IQR, looking forward to the feedback.

Yes it will be unveiled at Haydays. My Cat letter said the new Sno-Pro is in the Pro-cross chassis and comes stock with Fox Evols. It was more expensive than the IQR but comes equipped to race XC with the low profile track and the big tank so it would have been a wash. The IQR needs to be converted to run in XC as it comes with a 1.75" track and a 4 gal tank. Still, I'm stoked because all my buddy's ride Polaris and I've been the odd one out for way too many years.

rlcofmn,
We need some pics of that Concept front end on your short track! I like how the a-arm is cross braced. I think for the sake of the forum you need to make another 100+ mph pass on the Nytro at the drag strip and do it one handed with the Concept front end. ;)! That will make me a believer that it offers increased stability over stock. :jump:

To be completely honest about drag strip stability, I don't see any room for improvement. It handled great on the tar. I had it up to 112 one pass staying on it past 1/4 mile and it tracked perfectly straight. It gave me so much confidence that I took my hands off a couple times at 80 plus to start pulling the hood and cool it down. It didn't take me long to realize that was dumb and to keep at least one hand on the bars till I slowed down but it did handle great. I will start a "Concept" thread soon when I decide to pull the sled out of the rig.

I was thinking about your experience and I wonder if because your sled was lowered down that you didn't experience much weight shift forward when you let off? The lowered front end wouldn't have stroked much and caused a toe change.

I was thinking about my Nytro running wide open down a plowed road with a solid ice base and it can be fricking scary when you let off the throttle with new carbides. I never had a sled act like that.

AKrider said:
I was thinking about my Nytro running wide open down a plowed road with a solid ice base and it can be fricking scary when you let off the throttle with new carbides. I never had a sled act like that.
Do you think it could have been due to the compression braking and chopping the throttle? Just a thought.

Yeah mine was set up with maybe a 1/2" of travel in the floats so it wasn't moving much. The only other thing done to it is just tightening up the slop.

ruffryder said:
Do you think it could have been due to the compression braking and chopping the throttle? Just a thought.

Good point, the compression braking would have contributed to the front end dive more than on a 2-stroke. Compared to my Vector, the Nytro has less compression braking, but the braking was never an issue with my Vector. I really liked how stable my Vector was at high speed. I always felt like the big 3-cylinder motor worked as a gyroscope helping to keep the Vector planted. The feeling sure didn't translate over to my Nytro.

Rclofmn,
Your tighter tolerance ski bolt bushings would certainly have been an improvement.

The Eichenberg's ice raced an '08 Nytro here in Alaska the past couple seasons and it didn't seem to be handicapped by poor high speed handling. It used custom built, lowered front spindles and the whole sled was lowered down. I think I recall from my measurements the toe change was reduced in the upper part of the stroke. This would all support the theory that excessive toe change(bump steer) is what causes the Nytro to be unstable.

rlcofmn said:
Where is polar raceway? I'd love to get it out on the track again and raceway park is done for the season. Edit, just googled it. Polar is the same as Alaska Raceway Park and the only strip in the state. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I had this box in my work truck and I couldn't resist myself.
2011-09-06_14-07-51_410.jpg

42" concept front end. I'll get it out of the box tonight and get some better first impressions. Really excited for some early season trail testing. :jump:
you suck dude!!!!!!

I have read this tread several times now to get input to my Phazerproject :)

I have made "testjigg" to be able to test the hight of the spindle to get minium change of camber during damping. And I can also change the hight of the mountingposition of the tierod to minium bumpsteer
579050_367148050038246_539053621_n.jpg

Back