• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

bye bye Apex hello Nytro xtx

Done deal traded in the apex for the 09 xtx. I was at the dealer today and he let me drive it and thats all it took. I will miss the long legs of the apex but not the way it handles/weight. Do you think I did the right thing? Whats the first thing to buy besides skis?

excell full exhaust makes it more fun to ride and handel bar muffs hands are going to be freezing but exhaust works great for warming them up

yup, before mine even left the dealer it had the huge handguards. Also I recommend a bigger windshield, and I need to get the lower side wind deflectors...I freeze my a$$ on long cold rides. Literally, my butt gets so cold!

I'm doing the same thing. I have an 06 ApexGT. Waiting to see what (if anything) changes for 2010 XTX. If nothing, then I'll pick up an 09.

linemech31 said:
Done deal traded in the apex for the 09 xtx. I was at the dealer today and he let me drive it and thats all it took. I will miss the long legs of the apex but not the way it handles/weight. Do you think I did the right thing? Whats the first thing to buy besides skis?

Here is my honest opinion of my XTX and my dislikes.
-Hyfax wear is terrible. They wear to the line then stop. 2nd set went 36 miles to the line then stayed there the rest of the day. Get used to the smell of crayons.
-Ice build up in tunnel is terrible. I put a block off plate to cover 1/2 the opening and that helped.
-no clock
-Handwarmers are terrible!
-small tank 7.5 gallon about 85 miles and you are looking for gas!
-all the tunnel stickers wore off on the tunnel from my boots, first yamaha that this has happened on.
-hood and side panels are a pain to remove in a hurry, like to check the oil quick.
-Front skis could be better.
I do like the motor but it's not as fast as everyone says, and I like the seating position.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

You don't have to take off the hood to check the Oil..,just take off the side panel and your done, but your right the hood is a pain, but really other than access to you tools no need to take it off

Thanks Daranello, I know I don't have to take off the hood to check the oil, Still when that bottom Dfuzer gets packed with ice it's a pain in the arse to get at quickly! For the money I spent on this sled I just wish these litlle things would have been addressed. The big thing I forgot is how the new hand and thumb warmer controls work. The scrolling up thing sucks, you have to take your eyes off the trail to adjust your warmers which is dangerous. I wish you could click down one notch instead of scrolling back around, what a joke.

As long as I am on a role, my knees get really cold while riding below 0 temps too. I do have the tall windshield and side deflectors on as well. Some sort of knee wind deflector option would be nice. Linemech31, I probably should have just traded sleds with you! :)

linemech31 said:

I don't have any issue with the stock skis. They work fine. As for all the other gripes you can find? I guess some guys like to ride and others like to complain. The XTX has some quirks but they're easy to correct and/or manage. Take some time to set up the suspension. If you get stumped and can't obtain your objective? Call Hygear or another suspension shop. Some simple off-sled shock tuning can make a huge improvement. I guess it depends on how/where you ride and what you expect. I was indifferent towards my sled in the beginning. This site soured me on it more than it helped, with all the bitching. Once I separated myself from the discontent I fixed my issues and now have a really nice ride.

Must have items? For me, a tall windshield and side deflectors. Windshield bag. Gauntlets for the colder days. Shock tuning.

For my wife? Ditto except we added triple rate springs to reduce ski pressure and ease steering effort.

Stewart

linemech31 you're gonna love your Nytro!! These sleds are an absolute hoot to ride!! As far as kkraus saying the power isn't that great I seriously beg to differ! These sleds pull like a freight train on steroids! I think people say this because the sled doesn't go 120mph! You knew this before you bought it that it wasn't a top end sled and for me personally 95-100mph is fast enough anyway!! I agree totally with stewartb on a lot of the things here is that people like to bitch instead of ride! I knew before I bought it that it would be a cooler ride so I went out and bought new FXR gear, hmmm problem solved! As far as hifax wear goes I've got over 500 miles on mine and I'm down to half right now so yeah they're wearing quicker than the other brands I had before but once again I knew this before I bought it due to the research I did! I still think that's not too bad! Replacing a set or two of sliders a season is a lot better than replacing motors like my brother is doing on his Assault with 400 miles on it! Not a bash @ all, just telling it like it is! Another thing that stewartb be said is to weed through all the negative threads on here and that is very true. There are tons of knowledgeable people on here and you will find more help and ingenuity on here than anywhere else! A great site for that! My suggestion would be to ride the sled first and get some miles on her and evaluate it for yourself, that's what I did and realized that over half the stuff some guys are picking apart don't bother me at all! Good luck, be safe & ride hard!!

Yeah I know I just like to bitch! Yeah right! I have been bleeding blue for 28 years! So take that for what it's worth, apparently when you ask for opinions you can only say how good Yamaha is. So I am truely sorry I gave MY OPIONIONS on this flawless XTX. Please disregaurd everything I said and listen to Blue 4's Rule This sled rocks and is the quickest thing on the snow to 100mph. I was just imagining things when my buddie on his 06 Rev 600 and my other buddie on his 2000 700 SRX were side by side with me and started pulling away around 60. I have 1569 miles on mine (How many you got stewartb?) so I have no clue what I'm talking about. GIVE ME A BREAK! Just like I didn't know what I was talking about the limiter straps right?

Nope the XTX isn't perfect, in stock form it's barley good overall. With a few mods though this sled makes the GREAT list. No it's not a speed demon on top but to 80 it's hard to beat. Some suspension work goes a long way, skis help, track helps. Handle bar warmers suck. I've road with all the newish 600s...sorry not a race there, 800s are more fun and some of those guys get the big eye syndrome at the finish line. I don't ride trails and most of the time I have more power than I can use safley. A little refinement and Yamaha wouldn't have any competition. Where are you Yamaha.

T

kkrause,

My comment wasn't directed at you. Complaining seems to be a major theme of this site. But in between there's some really good info.

Bent subframes, bad handwarmers, tunnel ice, oil in the airbox, bad skis, weak A arms, bad hyfax, wet left foot, etc., etc.

I had concerns. I addressed them. The positive attributes of my machines have prevailed and now I'm a happy owner. In fact I'm off in a moment for another three days of riding. And thanks to a few guys on this site? I've solved some issues that would have frustrated me without their help. That's what it's all about.

Cheers.

Stewart

Back