• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cable extenders

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 XTX
2.5 x 146 Camoplast Peak track
Excell header
Fuel contol module
K&N air filters
Better board running boards
8" powderhound skis
Has anyone experienced any issues with cable extenders. The dealer, of course, wants to sell me on new one-piece MTX cables since I want to install a 6" riser bar on my XTX. I'm a tall guy and mostly do stand-up riding.

Has anyone experienced any issues with cable extenders. The dealer, of course, wants to sell me on new one-piece MTX cables since I want to install a 6" riser bar on my XTX. I'm a tall guy and mostly do stand-up riding.
I used a cable extension on an old sled years ago and had good luck with it. However, the sled was a beater I used for hammering the fields and ditches at home. IMO, I would use an OEM throttle cable on my primary sled. The cable diameter of the add-on extensions are typically a smaller gauge than OEM, plus they usually add too much length.

I'm not sure what your dealer is asking, but I priced a Nytro MTX throttle cable online and it was $34.88. A basic add-on throttle cable extension is $25 - ish.

I know there are plenty of extensions in use out there, but $10 is pretty cheap peace of mind! ;)!

Last edited:
I bought a Rox 6-8" riser from a guy here in Ballston Spa (hello if your reading this, never got your handle) and I'm thinking I'm going to need to extend my controls. So which ones do I need to extend to ensure everything is safe and good? I think I need the throttle correct? How about the hydraulic brake line? The emergency brake (I WANT it to work)? Any electrical? How about a set of part numbers for the Nytros if your going from a FX or a XTX to the tall risers for any and all parts you want to replace from the MTX, that would be a real time saver for people. I ordered my skid bushings and collars from Partzilla, and they were awfully reasonable and much lower than my local stealership so I'll be using them again for sure.

So I decided to look up the comparable machines for my year, 2009. I compared the XTX parts to the MTX couterparts, and here is what I found if you want cables and hoses to be the longer MTX on a 2009-2012, in 2013 the switch part numbers change, but the throttle cable and the brake hose and cable are the same still.:

Throttle Cable: 8HA-26311-00-00 31.68
Brake Hose: 8HA-25872-00-00 41.84
Parking Brake Cable: 8HA-26351-00-00 18.79
Throttle side switch assembly: 8GC-82720-00-00 107.91 2013 it becomes 8HR-82720-00-00 126.71
Hand Warmer switch assembly: 8GC-83973-00-00 61.42 2013 it becomes 8HR-83973-00-00 73.94

My rough quick math puts that around 175 after shipping to convert a 09-12 XTX to MTX length cabling using the factory parts about 210 for a 13.

Put your riser on and check fitment of stock cables, hoses, etc before you buy all new MTX parts. It's very possible you can just re-route your existing components.

I'm not certain about Nytro's, but there are several people on this forum that have raised their Apex bars as much as 5" and made it work with re-routing stock components. I'd hate to see you drop unnecessary coin!

I can assure you, I will be moving, re-routing, and looking for every millimeter of length of cables, hoses, and wires to try and avoid buying anything, but if I need something I'd rather buy the stock proper component for the job than a simple extension that adds a possible point of failure. I saw several of the items are ty-wraped to the frame and that pulls them in a direction loosing some possible length, and I think I saw the brake hose has some un needed bends in its routing.

I plan on working on the cables and riser this weekend. Will share the results.

Put your riser on and check fitment of stock cables, hoses, etc before you buy all new MTX parts. It's very possible you can just re-route your existing components.

I'm not certain about Nytro's, but there are several people on this forum that have raised their Apex bars as much as 5" and made it work with re-routing stock components. I'd hate to see you drop unnecessary coin!

So I went the thrifty route and purchased a cable extender from PowerMadd. Seems like it should work well. I did manage to re-route all other stock components with no problem, including the brake line. The only non-operational item is the park brake, which never worked anyways.

I have an MTX cable that is brand new if you want it....pay for shipping and its yours.

Thanks so much for the offer Nytrozula. I am confident that the cable extender will work fine.

Already had a bid in on the cable if artic passed. I concur that the throttle cable is the only hurdle for a 6" riser install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to drag up an old thread, but I was doing my riser install and I thought all I needed was the MTX throttle cable, and I did need it even though I think it added maybe 2 or 3 ", I assure you its not much it adds, but re-routing it up thru the hole my steering relocate created behind the steering post mounts gives it alot of room, perhaps the stock would even of worked.

What did not work for me (maybe others smarter than me figured out a way) was the E-brake cable. Its TIGHT!!! As it sits I have the Roxs riser at its shortest (6") and the cable is stretched like banjo tight up to it, and I don't think I could put the plastics back since its stretched across in places. I can put the bars in place, but I can't turn them or risk breaking the cable, so I ordered up the MTX cable, I hope it adds 4" cause that would make me much happier. My other thought is to make a new block and locate it to the side of the upper steering post mount. Basically take it right off the bars and put it down lower

Last edited:
Not to drag up an old thread, but I was doing my riser install and I thought all I needed was the MTX throttle cable, and I did need it even though I think it added maybe 2 or 3 ", I assure you its not much it adds, but re-routing it up thru the hole my steering relocate created behind the steering post mounts gives it alot of room, perhaps the stock would even of worked.

What did not work for me (maybe others smarter than me figured out a way) was the E-brake cable. Its TIGHT!!! I can put the bars in place, but I can't turn them or risk breaking the cable, so I ordered up the MTX cable, I hope it adds 4" cause that would make me much happier. My other thought is to make a new block and locate it to the side of the upper steering post mount. Basically take it right off the bars and put it down lower

Thanks for this, nydiver. It's interesting as I just had the MTX cable installed and you are correct in that it adds minimal length. The 5" riser is still too tall for it and the throttle is under tension. The TORS activates as soon as one turns the handle bars. I will try to re-route the cable as you have suggested.

I have a oft relocate and a 2.5 lake effect riser on my 2013 nytro xtx . All cables and wires are stock with no problems . Just have to get creative in re routing that's all .

Back