• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Caliber sled Tie Down Clamp

earthling

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 SRX
2006 ATTAK
At the recent powersports show I stopped by the Caliber booth where they were showing off the new Tie Down Clamp. It competes directly with the superclamp and competition is always good. From a design perspective, it looks pretty robust, the gentleman there I talked to said it was tested to a half ton of clamping force. The mechanism itself feels quite robust and operationally it is very simple. There is an adjustment knob on one end that allows you to easily set the height of the hook and provides more range than the superclamp which should help if you are running ski guides or a thick ski/carbide combo (e.g. snow trackers). The latching mechanism has a large grab handle and works on a cam action so all you have to do is align the hook and pull the handle and the sled is tied down. Here are a few pictures..

1698407172675.png

The knob under the handle closest to you in the above picture sets the initial hook height.

1698407228690.png

In the below picture you can see the lock loop which you can use for either a pin to make sure the handle doesn't move or add your own lock.

1698407270491.png

Seemed to be comparable, around the $220ish mark MSRP. Oh, one other point the rep made was that the Caliber is completely rebuildable should it need it. The mechanism is ramp based vs cam based which alleviates the need for the internal spring that the superclamp uses and if for some reason there is a problem, 8 screws and the whole working section comes out for service.

Seemed to be comparable, around the $220ish mark MSRP. Oh, one other point the rep made was that the Caliber is completely rebuildable should it need it. The mechanism is ramp based vs cam based which alleviates the need for the internal spring that the superclamp uses and if for some reason there is a problem, 8 screws and the whole working section comes out for service.
Interesting. I have 4 of the other brand in my trailer and they have been working great over the years. Was hoping they would be cheaper to get the other ones down in price too.

Interesting. I have 4 of the other brand in my trailer and they have been working great over the years. Was hoping they would be cheaper to get the other ones down in price too.

Me too! I will probably just make some as I have a few design sketches around and they all seem a bit excessive in price considering what they are.

How do these mount to the trailer deck? My triton trailer is a threaded hole for the bar, and if I could switch to one of these it would be so much better.

How do these mount to the trailer deck? My triton trailer is a threaded hole for the bar, and if I could switch to one of these it would be so much better.
Basically, along with the clamp, you will also get a thread-eyelet that you would screw into your threaded hole. The eyelet on the end of this threaded bolt is use to attach the locking bar:

Attachments

• Clamp.JPG
    Clamp.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 24
They come with a D hook that screws into that threaded hole on trailer then the superclamp hooks to that.
sweet, it doesn't require the extruded aluminum track style? I know most of the newer trailers have the track which allows you put put a sled anywhere in the range.

None of them require the extruded track, they work with the threaded insert you already have.

Back