• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can a 2 place alum trailer be converted into a sled deck?

Woody

Lifetime Member
Currently, I've got an all alum featherlite enclosed 4 place trailer and my cousin has a Floe 10' with protector. He doesn't think my Attak GT will fit in his trailer. We had been talking about getting a sled deck, or making one of our own. The reason we're considering the sled deck is for weekend jaunts we can make, and save on fuel mileage as pulling a trailer drops the mpg more than just having a load on the truck. I've recently bought a 3/4 ton 06 GMC diesel quad cab..

I was thinking that if we took an old alum 2 place trailer, (tilt) and removed the axle and tongue, that we'd have our deck. Preferrably a 8' x 8' trailer, as the track can hang off the back, and a beaver tail could be welded on. Oh, we'd have to make a ramp too.

So, if it doesn't work, we only have $500 or so into it, we could just bolt the axel and tongue back on and sell it as is. A new sled deck is between $2,000 - $3,000

What do you think? Will this work? Will it be too heavy? Will it need too much reinforcement? I apprecaite your assistance.

CHeers,
joel

Trailer/sledbed

I really don't see why it wouldn't work. You would have to build a frame for inside the bed to rest the weight on the bed floor and not on the bed rails. Make yourself a ramp and a safe way to attach it and go for it. I would also make a headache rack so you don't end up with the skis inside the cab.LOL

I have thought about this before, but I can't weld or I would have tried it by now.LOL

Here's a pic of one I'd like to build...
new-shortbox.jpg

I'm just curious to see if anyone is trying to make one now... if you do, please provide pics of your process.

Thanks,
joel

Back